Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Visual Inspections
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:14 am 

I wheel my Jeep quite often and the chances of something breaking or going wrong is more likely to happen versus someone who gets out less often. In addition, I do wheel my Jeep pretty hard at times. I am working on my Jeep more than most because of how I use my Jeep.

It would be a good practice to get into, visually checking out your rig. I mean, lay down on the ground or garage and look around using a shop light so you can see. Look for things that don't look right or maybe something missing or broken and hanging. I believe this should be done often if you wheel your rig often.

Why am I stressing this? Becasue when I look around and under my Jeep, I find things like this....Broken all the way through

Hanging on by a thread

That is the lower control arm on the axle side of the front axle. If that would have broke completely, who know what would have happened. The lower control arm could have hit the ground and dug into the pavement creating a possible roll or who knows.

So, chaulk it up to someone elses experience and have a look around your rig. If you don't know what your are looking for, ask someone else to help you. We certainly want to be safe on our streets, but we certainly don't want any major breakage while out on the trail. By visually inspecting your rig, you may avoid most of the problems before they become a major event.

Happy and Safe Wheelin'

Joe

Post subject: good tips Joe
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:11 pm 

Joe you are the Jeep Stud man. It is cool to see someone passionate about their rig. Also about the way they use it..I wish I had more time.

Bobalui 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:38 pm 

Image Nah, not me. Image

I just hate depending on my motorcycle to get me to work and home. I need my Jeep, but I want to wheel it, too. I have to find a balance so it works, but lately, it's been costing me a bit of money. And time? We could all use some time. Sometimes you just have to make the decision to make some time to do what you love to do. Having friends and fellow off-roaders make it all that much more fun and enjoyable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:04 pm 

Joe, I read your email, and looking at the pics, it looks like fatigue to me. Since the weld held, and the metal tore from the weld. I've seen welds "break" from the metal they were welded to. Plus the rust indicates to me it was happening for awhile.

Now the question would be why did it fatigue? My guess is the lift and wheeling combined creating more stress than originaly designed for. If you haven't yet, I'd hit up some Jeep forums and see if it's common, or if you are a rarity, and what others have done to relegate the issue. My guess is a stronger/beefier mount, likely available at a place like Blue Torch Fab or similar.

In fact, looky here, and read the description: http://www.bluetorchfab.com/shop/produc ... cts_id=431

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:00 pm 

I've been finding out on the Moabjeeper forum, that it is quite common on lifted and wheeled TJ's and XJ's. There are a few Mfg's that make products like the one you posted. And BTW, thanks for posting it. That may be just what I need to keep this from happening again.

I welded it back on for now, and it appears to have held up on the Bowl/Matterhorn run today, but it will happen again. I'm sure of it.

Thanks again!!!