Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GMRS-FRS Radios
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:05 pm 

Hi everyone... I'm posting this, to see if there might be any interest. Some club members have spoken to me about these radios. These radios are on the UHF band, which is the same as some businesses, Police, Fire Departments, etc. Because they are FM and not AM (like a CB), there is no squelch control. I know that some clubs use them instead of CB's because they are also capable of much longer range. They are available in both mobile and handheld models, which are available in pairs. I know some members already have these radios and I have a couple of handheld units. Now i'm not suggesting the club or the members change over to GMRS-FRS radios, but they might be a good backup in case their CB goes down.

John 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

Post subject: Re: GMRS-FRS Radios
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:27 pm 

I have both CB and FRS/GRMS radios. I do prefer the GRMS radios to be honest. They are easy to use and are clear. The changes to FCC rules last year allow for unlicensed use of most handheld mobile devices on all channels 1-22. 1-7 are the shared FRS (medium powered channels up to 2 watts), and GRMS (medium powered up to 5 watts). 8-14 are the FRS/GRMS low powered, both up to 0.5 watts. 15-22 channels are FRS-2 watt and GRMS-50 watt high powered channels. The only need for an FCC license is if you are transmitting over 5 watts. Getting the FCC GRMS license is very easy. It consists, for the most part, of filling in your name and address and paying $70 for a 10 year license that covers all of your immediate family. I have a license and a 40 watt radio. I use it with my family and friends and it makes communication from distances easy. It’s just nice to know when I transmit from the rear that everyone gets the message. The radios also have “privacy” codes, but they are essentially filters that allow you to only receive those messages that have the same code number. That way you can eliminate any extra transmissions from other groups on the same channel. Interestingly enough, I haven’t had anyone interfering on any channels when using them off road. I can see having the leader and the tail using the higher watt transmitters, while the group with handhelds would be able to always hear the front and the rear. Just my thoughts. Thanks, Tapper aka Blue ZR2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:12 pm 

Umm, I agree with both John and Tapper. We really should consider this. During our War Shield Canyon run in the wide open plains I still couldn't get reception from Jack. Now, I don't much about these radios but I looked them up on amazon they range from $35 and up for handhleds which are great. If you get out of the vehicle you can take it with you as well. They also have vehicle mounted systems such as the Midland - MXT105. I would recommend that, if you already have them please bring with you on the next run and we will do "test" so to speak for those who have them and maybe get a consensus.

Fox 2.0 shox's
ProComp wheels & tires
Artic Camo wrap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:28 am 

Waking up an older thread.....

Question about GMRS/FRS Handheld Radios.

Hello everyone. Have been looking at getting a GMRS/FRS handheld radio as a secondary to the CB. I think I remember someone saying we use channels 9-14.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have been looking at the undien and midland models.
Uniden GMR5098-2CKVP ~$99
Midland GXT1000VP4 ~$69

I read that GMRS/FRS radios will no longer be available after Sept 30, 2019 since they can operate in both licensed bands and unlicensed bands.

Thanks for any and all input.

-Walter and Gloria

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:18 am 

On this new truck I’m going to install both a CB and a 15 w GMRS with a better antenna. Midland MXT275 with a 6 dB gain antenna

Rescue Ranger
NBCC
NVMC
NBROC founding member
NBSC
NBZORT Unit # 1
702-595-6213

https://apathetic-wealth-3217.glideapp.io/

http://www.expeditionportal.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:31 pm 

I just added the same Midland setup @scubasteve. I’m pretty happy with it so far. What say you?