Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:30 am 

I have a question about the Silver State Trail. I want to go from the trail head at Chief Mtn to Pioche. Does the trail go all the way through? For a full size vehicle? And, how long should it take? Thanks for any info..

Jenny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:37 am 

Ok, how about this. When heading north on the SST, will there be a marker for the turn to Pioche? :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:14 am 
Site Admin

i'm guessing that garyb is the guy that' going to have some info for you. but since he doesn't visit the board regularly you may want to try sending him an e-mail and mention that i sent you his way. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:59 pm 

Or I might just see it when I troll by. I mean stroll, yeah that's it.......

The BLM has ready maps, look for one titled "Eastern Nevada Recreation Guide". Or you can download some here: http://www.nvtrailmaps.com/search.php?k ... ubmit1.y=9

The trail itself is meant to be very stock 4x4 friendly, if not high clearance 2x friendly. As for vehicle size, every part I have been on you could easily get a full size pickup on. Half the time I pass cattle or sheep herders driving duallies with 5th wheels. The backside of the Highland Range does get tight though. As far as time allotment, it'd really depend on where you go and how fast you drive. Some spots are graded road that can be done at 65 MPH, others are slower and more technical. I'd guess if you just drove the road, you could do it in a half day from Chief.

You can get from Chief Mtn. to Pioche no problem, just be careful as Chief is intended for ATV's mostly. The trails should be marked as so though IIRC. They have been doing extensive upgrades to the trail head lately as well, adding toilets, picnic tables, etc. The main SST is marked as being the SST, but to my knowledge no signs exist telling you were you are or are going, unless they added some very recently. But you can come out by Panaca, Pioche (actually Caselton), Pony Springs, etc. It ends officially about 50 miles north of Pioche at Patterson Pass road from US93.

I did part of the trail 2 years ago for the Lincoln County Trails Day and hit several mines and sights. Image With a good GPS or map, you should be able to find any spots I hit.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:07 am 

Thanks for the info Gary. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:24 pm 

the BLM has a publication called the Eastern Nevada Recreation Guide that contains a good over view of the silver State OHV trail System

http://www.nv.blm.gov/ely/current_news.htm

BLM Ely District Recreation Map Available Free to the Public

The BLM Ely District is making available to the public, free of charge, the district's new map-style recreation guide for eastern Nevada.

The full-color Eastern Nevada Recreation Guide provides an overview of all BLM recreation sites in the Ely district. The guide replaces a similar guide created approximately 30 years ago. The guide does not replace detailed maps of specific sites.
The fold-up guide is available at the BLM Ely Field Office, 702 N. Industrial Way, in Ely, and at the BLM Caliente Field Station, 1400 South Front Street, in Caliente.

http://www.nv.blm.gov/ely/images/curr_news_rec_map.jpg

the trail is a loop that lies west of 95 between caliente and the lincon county line and is some 120 miles in length north to south and about 12 miles average east to west over all but the northen most 20 miles

ARB bumper, X9, IPFxsd900, DeMello sliders, AP rear plate bumper

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:21 am 

Thanks for more info tacotim.

We just got back from our trip. We did 2 days on the east side of the SST. Went from Pioche, north as far as we could. After about 40 miles the trail was too overgrown and we had to head back, bummer. But, it was a good ride, we stayed on the mountain trails and out of the heat on the dry lake bed. A good trip!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:51 am 

Jeepgal wrote:
After about 40 miles the trail was too overgrown and we had to head back, bummer.

I never thought I'd hear that phrase from you guys.

But I know what you mean. I did some prerunning to Delamar for my Lincoln County Trails Day event and found a short cut road you guys would just love, as well as a yucca/joshua forest that gave me a few hundred new scratches on my new F-150. Oh well :(

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 pm 

We really aren't into the brushy trails, especially with no doors! :D

Are you doing Delmar for this year's Trails Day?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:05 am 

Trying to. I'm trying to find someone that can get me a map of the Silver State 300 off road race which takes place again the same weekend we have the Trails Day event planned. They use parts of Delamar Valley and I need to see that we won't overlap. I can likely get in there and out fine, but if I can't go the way I like, it'll make for a very short run.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:17 pm 

GaryB wrote:
I'm trying to find someone that can get me a map of the Silver State 300 off road race.

Try Casey from Best In The Desert. He would know. He may not give the info yet. You may have to shoot him a map of your trails and he will let you know if they will cross. Sometimes they won't release a map of the course until closer to race time. :?

And yes, we will be there for Trails Day this year too!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:55 am 

when and where is the trail days

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:59 pm 

BC Toys wrote:

National Public Lands Day
Date Saturday September 26, 2009
Contact info@lincolncountynevada.com
Description Event to be held in Caliente. More information to come.

That's all that I found online. I had a great time the year I went. I hope to make it this year. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:23 pm 

Jeepgal wrote:
Try Casey from Best In The Desert. He would know. He may not give the info yet. You may have to shoot him a map of your trails and he will let you know if they will cross. Sometimes they won't release a map of the course until closer to race time. :?

Yeah, he kind of blew me off. I understand now why some people don't like him. Anyway the BLM got back with me and it looks like we're going to be far enough apart, but I have a map coming to me anyway to be sure. So I'm likely going to be running it once or twice more to figure out if I can add more attractions.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:33 pm 

BC Toys wrote:

http://www.lincolncountynevada.com/index.html Look under "events" for September 26.

More info will posted by the end of the month hopefully. I had to have my info in last week to get flyers and advertisments printed. As I get more info though, I'll pass it on. Right now all I can say is I'm leading a 4x4 run from Caliente to the ghost town sites of Helene and Delamar. There's two cemetaries, at least one likely to be seen. I'm hoping to add more sites once I know where BiTD is running their race which is the same day and goes completely around Caliente and Southern Lincoln County. They are also having hiking, ATV and equestrian rides around the area.

BTW, all activities (trails) are going to be free. The only cost will be if you want a dinner or a t-shirt.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4