Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mormon Well Trail
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:45 pm 

During The November Club run the attending membership voted in favor of Brad aproaching the NDOW at Corn Creek to feel out and possibly establish an adopt a trail stewardship by the NVBR club for the Mormon Well Trail.

Brad, let us know if you need any support.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

it's not NDOW we'd be dealing with. Desert National Wildlife Refuge is run by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service which is a part of the Department of the Interior. because of this it may take a little longer to get a yea or nea as anything involving Washington DC takes time. i will be getting in touch with the manager/head ranger next week, i forgot this was thanksgiving week and not a good time to sit down with folks.

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:35 am 

Thanks Brad. Well, at least I had the general concept of wildlife division. And I'm not even that old yet :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:17 pm 

According to the web site below, they are definitely looking for a variety of volunteers at the refuge, and applying doesn't seem too difficult.

http://www.getoutdoorsnevada.org/usfws.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:40 pm 

Thanks for the site!
Apply as a group????? Well it's a lead anyway.
I sent my info for the Refuge Steward

Job Title: Adopt-A-Trail/Road

Job Description: Walk or drive the assigned trail/road once a month to pick up litter, check signs, and do minor maintenance of designated public use areas. Volunteers also check the parking areas for litter and vandalism. After each visit, the volunteer reports to refuge staff the status of the area and any unusual situations. Volunteers are responsible for their own transportation to the sites unless a refuge vehicle is available for use. The refuge will provide trash bags and make arrangements for trash disposal.

Results: The public will enjoy the refuge and have a better visitor experience. A clean refuge will instill a sense of pride in visitors and they will litter less and protect the area as a result.

Qualifications:

Ability to work independently with a minimum amount of supervision.
Good physical condition.
Dress appropriately for outdoor work and be appropriately prepared for weather conditions.
Time Commitment: At least once a month but may be subject to change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:50 am 
Site Admin

here's the latest. after the thanksgiving week then playing phone tag as amy had various meetings, i finally got to speak with her this morning about our club adopting the trail. i told her that the backroaders would gang up on the trail at least once a year en mass picking up trash and doing any repairs that we could handle for her. i told her that unofficially we would go over the trail several other times in smaller groups and also do the same things. she thinks it's a good idea and will look into if we need a special use permit or not. she does have to approach her higher ups before giving us a firm yes or no. so now we wait.
i also asked her about the situation with the old alamo road. she says that she's had several almost fatal incidents with tourists on that trail and for that reason she shut the trail down. she did tell me that she had worked on repairing the actual roadbed that travels to the east of the dry lake bed and is badly erroaded. she said that a major portition of the refuge is looking at being designated wilderness. she had set up a road repair proposal but because of the wilderness situation it's kind of in limbo. i will keep everyone posted as to what will happen with the old alamo road.

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:15 pm 

If her department is not familure with the Adopt a Trail program, check with the BLM, or Forest Service for their forms and paperwork.

They should give copies for you to take to her. It would save them from having to rewrite something that is all ready in the federal government system, just another department.

Hope this helps in your quest for this trail.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:17 pm 

Brad

I may have the US Forrest Service "Adopt a Trail" letter on CD.

if I find it I will send to you in email

mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:26 am 

A HUGE Thanks :!:
To Brad, Mac, Rex, & Tom for thier efforts in acquiring this trail.

During the April Club Run Meeting it was anounced that Nevada Backroaders has sucessfully adopted Mormon Well trail. They have requested that our first major cleanup be scheduled for Sept to participate in thier inter-agency work day. We may also get asked to do minor trail and campground maintenance.
Afterwards over breakfast a few of us discussed breaking the trail into 2 or 3 sections and doing a pre-run/scouting and minor cleanup before the heat of summer. Perhaps a fun run for early May?

If you happen to go over this trail at anytime please pick up whatever you can or feel like and when you sign the registry at the visitor's center add Nevada Backroaders and report any issues you may find to the attendant. They will also provide trash bags there if needed.

Can this get its own forum on the main board now?

More to come. I'm sure I missed or messed something :wink:

Post subject: Re: Mormon Well Trail
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:04 pm 

It's now nearly December 2017. What is the current status of the Club with the Mormon Well Rd? The DNWR is one of my favorite places and so close to where I live in Centennial Hills. Thanks.