Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:08 am 

This is Roy, with the Camo JK. Some you were asking about my tablet and navigation software. I have a Samsung SM-T800 because it has standalone GPS meaning it doesn’t require cell phone tower triangulation; its GPS based using GLONASS, which is a space-based satellite navigation system operating in the radio navigation-satellite service and used by the Russian Aerospace Defense Forces. It provides an alternative to GPS and is the second alternative navigational system in operation with global coverage and of comparable precision. The Software that I’m using is “Backcountry Navigator” for Android systems. They have a free version and a purchase version; with the free version some maps are not available and have ads. Backcountry Navigator has several different map types to choose from and they are actually detailed. When using the maps, you just download the area or tiles that you know you’re going to explore instead of downloading an entire map package, this way your file size is much smaller. So far I have only used as a map and tracking the routes; I haven’t used it for navigating a trail or planning a route yet, so I’m not sure how that works.
How I have mounted in my Jeep JKU. I’m using a Bar mount for the jeep from vectoroffroad.com hard mounted on the dash in the recessed area above the stereo; they have different models for different jeeps since not all jeeps have the same stereo. I’m also using ram-mount 1 inch ball, stems and holders for each particular item to attach them to the bar mount. I basically leave the ball mounts attached all the time since they are attached with u-bolts and just remove the stems with the holders when not in use. Below is a list of the products that I have for my set up; yours maybe different depending on the year make and model of your jeep.

Bar Mount for the dash:
http://www.vectoroffroad.com/jke-dock-2 ... -p-69.html
Tablet:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owner ... XAR-search

The ram mounts: I just got them from amazon but this is the one for holding my tablet. If the trail is really rocky, it can vibrate out; it has bounced out of my holder once.
http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Universal-X-G ... for+tablet

if you have any question you contact me @ rlcmyers67@gmail.com

Fox 2.0 shox's
ProComp wheels & tires
Artic Camo wrap

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:51 pm 

Roy is right on, I can vouch for the Vector mount. They now make two sizes for JKs, i got mine almost four years ago, at the time they only had the stubby. I have a radar detector, two iPads (one for passenger) and a Garmin GPS (backup to iPads) mounted. Soon to add my Delorme InReach. Solid, way over 100 runs on the mount.

The iPads run Gaia GPS, and they have an Android version I use on my phone. once you use a tablet for Nav, it is hard to use a small screen GPS.