Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPX files
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:39 pm 

Hi,

Santa decided my trusty as the crow flies GPS needed an upgrade for Jeeping so I'm looking for some tracks that you may want to share. It's the Garmin 450t which should take GPX files.

Of interest first:
Potato Ridge - mainly for the starting point
Oatman - we ran this last year and would like to do it again
Areas around Logandale; I've heard of Matterhorn and Shredder but haven't ran those
The Picture rock run - it was around Nipton
I've seen some areas around Goodsprings that look interesting. Nothing in particular but if you have a saved track it would be appreciated.

Email to ragtopcat@cox.net if you have tracks you're willing to share.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

12 Tacoma

Post subject: Re: GPX files
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:59 am 

A thought: Any good topographic map computer program, like Terrain Navigator or National Geographic TOPO! will allow you to study routes you are interested in, trace the route with provided tools, then export tracks and set waypoints into your GPS unit. And after your trip allow you to import tracks and waypoints from your GPS into the program.

I have the Nevada map set for National Geographic TOPO! It provides topographic maps for the entire state, viewed seamlessly (no need to study each individual quad). You can toggle off/on shading for semi-3D viewing, you can angle or elevate your view for 3D viewing or "flyovers" (similar to Google Earth). The set for Nevada usually runs at or near $100, but I did some Net shopping and finally got it for $40 through Map Source or some similar online company.

At first I couldn't import or export from my GPS, a very basic Garmin eTrex that had a serial port connection (my laptop is USB connectivity only), but the cost of serial/USB cables and converters have dropped drastically so that I finally got one and now can upload or download from my eTrex.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:15 pm 

I will have to look into that. The Garmin Etrex is a good unit, been using it for years for point A to point B so I could get back to camp at night etc. Came in handy on hunts as well. Never did try the data connector.

This Oregon has a 100K topo map built in but I like the suggestion of viewing on the home PC first.

12 Tacoma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:54 am 

timandsuzie wrote:
... Garmin Etrex ... Never did try the data connector ... I like the suggestion of viewing on the home PC first.

I had conflicting information on data converters. Several manufacturers, and eventually Garmin themselves had serial to USB converters - complete with software and sometimes some sort of electronic "black box" built into the cable - to translate between the two cables. I was told by a computer software engineer I know that USB and serial don't speak the "same language." However, I was also told by others that a simple, cheap serial/USB connector worked just fine with their Garmins and computers. The price for the conversion cables ran above $100, more than I paid for my eTrex. So I waited. Until last spring, when I got a converter through Amazon for less than $40.

Viewing on topo maps at home vs. online or on a GPS device is very rewarding, both in trip planning and enhancing preparation for your trip(s). It's quite addicting, in a good way. 3D views and fly-overs give you a good sense of the lay of the land as well. I don't know if Terrain Navigator has it, but TOPO! does. You don't see actual images of the earth like Google Earth, only what's on a standard USGS topo map. But it's very accurate and gives you a sense of topography better than simply looking at the flat USGS quads.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:56 pm 

timandsuzie wrote:
Hi,

Santa decided my trusty as the crow flies GPS needed an upgrade for Jeeping so I'm looking for some tracks that you may want to share. It's the Garmin 450t which should take GPX files.

Of interest first:
Potato Ridge - mainly for the starting point
Oatman - we ran this last year and would like to do it again
Areas around Logandale; I've heard of Matterhorn and Shredder but haven't ran those
The Picture rock run - it was around Nipton
I've seen some areas around Goodsprings that look interesting. Nothing in particular but if you have a saved track it would be appreciated.

Email to ragtopcat@cox.net if you have tracks you're willing to share.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Congrats on the new GPS, Tim. I sent you three emails with all the tracks you were looking for and maybe a little more. I hope the files work out for you. I sent them in gpx format so they should.

I may be wanting to run the Matterhorn/Bowl trail on the 22nd or 23rd, but not 100 percent sure just yet, so keep an eye out for a posting if I do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:24 am 

This website is for Garmins, and has world topo maps, as well as maps for each state. Works with Garmin's MapSource. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:32 pm 

Thanks all for the info and files.

Joe,

Either day will work so I'll keep an eye out for the post.

12 Tacoma