Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gps for dummies
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:44 pm 

Hi to the electronic wizards.
I need to find that book.

well I have a garmin nuvi 260W it is awesome in town and has saved my butt numerous times. The gps can also be used for bicycle or walking.

I used this website: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/86/

to download a nv topo map for my garmin 260w.

Today I put the gps in bicycle mode, activated the topo map and went for a ride. I rode some dirt trails out at cottonwood. The gps is great for recording speed, distance, time and etc... But when I start my ride it just says ready for navigation and doesnt trace my route what am I doing wrong? It did show topo lines, manmade structures...
Also no trails are shown do I need google earth?

thanks

04 Rubicon;66 F100

Post subject: Re: gps for dummies
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:04 am 

I have a simple Garmin eTrex, no maps and such. Gust basic GPS. The tracks can be cleared, but to my knowledge not turned off. Otherwise, if you don't clear the "cookie crumbs," they just loop around when memory is full and start over. However, it is my habit to clear it after I complete every trip and record the data.

Not knowing anything about your unit, my advise is to simply go into the settings and see if automatic tracking can be and is switched off. A look through the manual might help in this regard. It doesn't sound as if anything electronic is wrong, otherwise it would also show up in other fields and screens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:08 am 

Mr. D wrote:
Also no trails are shown do I need google earth?

Topo maps won't show bicycle trails, as these weren't around when most topo maps were field checked or created. Google Earth might show them, as they use late sattelite imagry, though might be hard to see except at high magnification. Google Earth may or may not overload your unit's memory depending on its specs. However, I'm not proficient in the latest technology. That's I run a basic Garmin ... it's for GPS dummies like me ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:32 am 

David thanks I will keep playing around with the gps and all the screens of information.

04 Rubicon;66 F100

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:17 pm 

I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 or something like that. If yours is similar, then you can't trace your route. There are essentially two types of GPS devices.

1) Those that are used to help you get someplace. These are the kind commonly used in cars. They'll find the best route, along established roads, to a final location, and show you where you are on the route. Though they do this very well, that's about all they do.

2) Those that are used to show you where you are, and where you've been, as well as where you're going - and not necessarily on roads. These are the ones that are more suited to hiking, biking, jeeping, and general exploration. They can do many more things than the "car" GPS units.

I inherited my Nuvi, and spent some time puzzling over it, trying to get it to do all the wonderful things that my hiking GPS does. I just doesn't have those capabilities. I also downloaded topo maps into mine. It has a bigger screen than my hiking one, so it's still useful to look at when I'm jeeping to see the terrain around me, but I can't save tracks, see where I've been, or anything like that. I mostly use it to get places in Vegas.