Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:56 pm 

I have a 50" Wilson. Dave at Radio World in Boulder City checked it, and said that while it was working ok, it wasn't fantastic. He said that if I wanted something better, a whip antenna would be the way to go. But, I've heard from others that whip antennas generally don't work as well. Opinions?

A whip antenna would be better in one way - I'd be able to get into parking garages without worrying that I'll rip the dang thing off. :o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

you could drop down to a shorter antenna if the 50" is to tall. as to a whip, granted they have advantages but a lot of groups will make you tie them down on a trial because they "whip" around as you're bounceing over things. i've been behind a jeep with a whip and it has snapped back and hit the hood of my jeep. i've heard of windshields being hit and cracked and also spotters being hit by the antenna as the vehicle passed them. one guy even had the whip swing into his jeep, he had the doors off, and smank him and cut the side of his head. just my 2 cents worth, i'm sure others will chime in with a differant view of things.

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:33 pm 

Dawn...

Brad is absolutely right. While a full length whip (96") on a 6" spring (102" OAL) would give you the maximum possible range, there is a possibility that it could cause an injury or damage. If you decide to go that route, that's your call. But here's something to consider: With all of the Jeeps and other 4WD vehicles in the club and that go on the various runs, how many have you seen with a whip antenna? Most (not all) usually have a 3' or 4' fiberglass whip. Is there something wrong with your set up? Since I tuned your current antenna, I can tell you there is nothing wrong with what you have. I don't remember what the final SWR was when we were done, but it was very good. If you need to put the Jeep in the garage or drive in to a parking structure, you can install a "quick-disconnect" like I did on mine. When we go on a run, I put the antenna on and remove it afterward. Just trying to help. :roll:

John 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:37 pm 

Naw, there's nothing wrong with my set up as far as I can tell. I was just curious what folks thought. I had wondered why, if whips are better, there are very few in the group. I hadn't considered injury! So, I guess clipping the antenna down to the side of the jeep - to prevent injury - would also make it not work as well. Thus defeating the whole purpose. Hmm.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:17 pm 

Dawn; Dave at Radio World just installed a 3 ft on my Jeep. Got rid of the whip because it would always catch on my rear wiper

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:20 am 

I have a whip antenna. My friends hate it, I love it. My radio works much better with the whip, I can reach way out. Then there is the injury thing. Most folks don't stand too close when I'm wheelin' by.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:36 pm 

Jeepgal are you sure the antenna is the reason they don't stand too close when you wheel by, or could it be something else :?: :roll: :lol: :lol:

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:21 am 

Trukdj wrote:
or could it be something else :?: :roll: :lol: :lol:

It could be this :D