Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Personal Locator Beacons
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:01 pm 

Has anyone here had any experience with PLB's? Do you carry one whilst out in the boonies? Ive traveled for years out and about around here and I've always just made sure someone knew where I was (generally) and to call out the lost patrol if I didn't show up or call by a set time. I'd still do that but I'm wondering if these little boxes would offer greater peace of mind. They are pricey, but I'm headed out further and further with my little one and I may make my case to get one.
Any thought are welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

the only person i know who has and uses one is dawn. hey dawn!!!!! charlie needs to know. :)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:41 pm 

I think Jeepin' Joe has a SPOT unit...

'08 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
4" ProComp Lift
35" BFG Mud-Terrains
Rampage Bumpers
10,000 lb. Smittybuilt Winch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:09 am 

whtwolfden wrote:
I think Jeepin' Joe has a SPOT unit...

Yes I do and I always take it out on runs whether I'm with a large group or just one other rig. Better to be safe than sorry I always say. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:40 am 

I was looking at SPOT units. Some models are fairly affordable. Basspro had a rebate on them a few months ago. The service contracts are up there in $$ tho; but still it would be nice, in the event I broke both legs to push a button, wait, and avoid being coyotechow for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:58 pm 

I have a Spot too and take it everywhere. They work great.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:46 pm 

Yep, I have a SPOT. I got one after a friend of mine, hiking alone (as I am wont to do), got his foot stuck in a gopher hole coming down a hill, and broke his leg. He had left information about where he was hiking, but still, he spent a cold night in the desert until being found the next day.

I haven't had to use it for rescue, but I've used the tracking feature, so that my folks can go on a virtual hike with me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:40 pm 

No, I don't use a PLB. I do create and print out a complete itinerary of any overnight or longer trip and give it to my wife. My itinerary contains the intended route; maps; possible side trips; names and contact info for the spouses for others going along; photos of and license numbers of all vehicles on the trip. In the event of mishap or adaquate delay, she can give it to the authorities. It's all part of my trip planning effort, which starts long before the actual trip.

Then I stick to the itinerary. It's not so binding as to restrict all unexpected "let's go see where this trail goes to" stuff; but still gives the general area I / we will be in so that S&R personnel can focus their efforts to a relatively small area without having to second guess where we might be. So far it's not been necessary for it to be put into effect and a S&R come looking.

Along the way I call my wife via cell when available and let her know we're OK and where we are.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:11 pm 

Can you rent one of those SPOT devices locally. One of my friends is planning on going on some trails in Death Valley in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:02 am 

Awesome info folks, than you! David's gameplan is tight and pretty much what I like to do and it's worked pretty good; yet I've been lucky.
I've gotta 2 year old that I've been taking out more and more into the awesome places around. now I think constantly about contingency plans. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:45 pm 

A further thought regarding SPOT and other similar devices.

There's SPOT and another PLB system. Both have different pricing structures. There's been some bad press about people pushing the 911 button on SPOT then refusing extraction. Such antics is bound to have future rammifications if such keeps up.

There's a good and length SPOT and PLB thread at:

http://panamintvalley.com/forum/viewtop ... hilit=spot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:32 pm 

I've been looking for info on how the cost of S&R is covered. Interesting to note how there's a tangible danger of people NOT calling in for help worried that they could not 'afford' the cost of rescue. I'd like to think thats all covered under taxes but then, some of the dumb things some people do might warrant getting a tab. I know those beacons have some pretty good mechanisms for avoiding false set-offs, but I'd bet my kid would be able to turn it on! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:13 am 

Uncle has one that we used on our last bow hunting trip. The tracking feature allowed us to check in daily (8 days below freezing in a tent) from the Ruby Mountains where we had no other communications. Kept the wives happy, and peace of mind for us as he's diabetic.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!