Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cb radio questions?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:52 am 

Howdy,
Where can a person go to get a cb installed, out of pocket expense and the least expensive? I'm lost and haven't found my way out of this forum yet?

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)
I'm dysfunctional but my camera works!

Post subject: Re: cb radio questions?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:47 pm 

Most CBs are easily installed yourself. They usually only have 3 wires, a positive power, a ground, and the antenna connection. Have you purchased one yet?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:02 pm 

Howdy, No. Wondering is a $40 cb just as good as a $200 cb? I'm looking for a good shake not a shake down. When it come to wires, I'm all elbows. :lol:

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

for what we do with them buying a high end unit is a waste of money. not to mention that those big trucker units are hard to find room for in most of our rigs. get one of the smaller rigs by midland, cobra, uniden, or even radio shack. new they're around $50. now the heart of a good cb is the antenna and coax. since you're running a grand i suggest a magnet mount antenna unless you'r ok with drilling holes in the jeep. i used a magnet mount in my cherokee and it was pretty darn good. splurge for the better quality mini-8 coax, you'll need a minimum of 18 feet for a grand. and don't loop the excess coax, rather hank it like a skein of yarn. looping it will back radiate and kill the radio faster. once you choose a radio and find a place to put it, it's fairley simple to wire up. like bill said 2 wires, hot and ground, and connect the coax. once you are done with the install you need to ask real nice and one of the radio guys in the club can get the whole set-up tuned for you. this is mucho important to make sure you end up with a good rig. i think uncle buck is chargeing a desired amount of his favorite diet soda product for a tune job. hope this helps. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:55 pm 

vegasdesertfox, Maybe I can help...

I've been with the club since 2002 and have installed quite a few CB's over the years. 8) I can help you install yours if you need it. Brad is right, for what we use them for you don't need an expensive radio. Fry's Electronics has a Cobra for about $50.00 and a Uniden for a little more. They also have magnetic mount antennas. The truck stops have CB's and it's probably a better selection, but they are more money. If you install it your self, I can tune your antenna if you need it.

John

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:40 pm 

Howdy Brad & John,

I'm indebted now for sure, thanks for the tips and the very kind offers. I'm checking out some things like radio shack etc. I'll probably go for the magnetic mount and such. I can understand a lot except the Greek language and with the directions I've been given so far, it still sounds Greek to me. Once again thanks to you both! I'll be in touch.

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:57 pm 

I just bought a Cobra 29 LTD Classic Cb off of Craig's from a retired trucker. The receipt in the box showed it was $100.00 at a truck stop. I got it for $50.00.

When I was at Wally World the other day I saw a cigarette lighter style plug that had two wires that I could use to hook up to my cb power wires. I wired it, plugged in the cb to the cigarette lighter and viola it works. :shock:

I bought a magnetic mount antenna from autozone for $20. I followed the cb manual and antenna instructions. I am thinking the antenna is to cheap.

I can get what sounds like a radio station on channel 6. This a.m. my daughter and I were on 95 near Sunset trying to listen to truckers, we could hear something once every so often.

Back to the drawing board on the manuals....

04 Rubicon;66 F100

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:14 pm 

Howdy again,

Since Brad is going to loan me one for the run on Tuesday coming, that gives me some time to think about it. I'm not sure I want a magnetic one, look, I drive a grand and I really don't want to waste money on a cheap model and in a year I might need a newer one. So what I'm thinking and talking about it with my bride, she knows I boondoggle a lot and she worries, so that right after the holidays or before too long I'm gonna get a good cb(cobra, etc,) and have it professionally installed. If you remember when I first joined I said something about walking out of the picnic site at Mormon Well and it took 3 days of walking, well that was because I had a broken ankle from a fall and a flat tire with no spare back in 1978. At least now I always have a full size spare. And in a little bit I'm finally gonna get me a cb. So the question now is, who is the best installer out there and won't screw up my grand and are Firestik Antennas, the best there is?

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:15 pm 

I have a Wilson K40, as does John up there. his is mounted slightly differently than mine, but once I got mine hooked by Mark from Karl's CB (he may be out of business now) I haven't had a problem at all, and it's been on for 3 years. It's a flexy antenna.

the Firestik's don't have much give when you hit a tree branch.

second brad on the mini-8 coax. Got it at the Petro truck stop...there's one on Blue Diamond as well as by the air base.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:09 am 

Howdy JJ,

Thank you! That's good info on firestiks, thanks!

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Call Mark the CB Guy 702-528-6969 or email him at bamma89146@aol.com

He comes to you and does mobile installations! Mark is the former owner of Karl's CB. He has done the Cobra 75 in the Jeep as well as the Cobra 29 in the motorhome.

Wilson and Firestick are both good antennas. With my Wilson, I can bend it just about in half without breaking. Unfortunately, mounting options on a Grand are few. Basically, drill into the body, figure out a mount on the roof rack or magnetic. There are some good magnetics. I have one that I got from Radio Shack. It only gets used with my spare radio.

There is a place in Boulder City that does CB's. Maybe Dave (Trukdj) can shed some light about them.

You could always get a handheld and magnetic for temp use, until you figure out how to permanently mount something. Then you have a spare/loaner radio if needed.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:48 am 

Howdy Rubicon Bob
I'm beginning to dig into cbs more. Thanks for the info and the straight shootin'!

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:08 pm 

Your antenna is the most important part of the whole system. Don't go cheap on the antenna, a good coax cable is also almost as important . With a good antenna and coax combo even the most inexpensive radios will work well .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:18 pm 

my 2 cents on cb radios....
boulder city has a shop, radio world. 294-2666.
i left my antennae on mt charleston on a narrow atv trail.
it was the 3rd one i have had to replace. the parking garage roof at UMC claimed one and the first one before that was also left on a trail.
offering to the jeep goddess.
needed a replacement for a run and only had a day to prepare.
the shop is full of parts, radios and assorted stuff. you don't want to slam the door or something will hit the ground.
the owner is very experienced and set me up with a Wilson antennae that is flush with the roof of my jeep.
he installed it, tuned it and charged only the price of the antennae.
i was on the ely run on mt moriah and at the summit, picked up phil on mt washington.
i have the cobra with everything on the mic and under dash components. i think rubi bob has the same one.
the cb is one of the most important parts for wheelin'. what ever works, get one that you can rely on.
the price is refunded the first time you use it to give another wheeler the heads up that you or they are in trouble or to get their attention that desert bighorn or horse herd is on the horizon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:00 pm 

Howdy Bill & bethseptember,

Thanks for your inputs! I never go cheap, but am taking my time looking around and learning a new appliance(tool). I felt pushed to get something fast but since there will loaners available for the rainbow gardens behind Frenchman and between Lava Butte, gives me more time to look at my options. Waiting on an email from Mark from Rubicon's advice. I'm not going fancy either! I never rode with a bunch of crazed backroaders before, always done the lonesome thing before(even hunting). Back in the 70s I had a scout with a bumper sticker that said: "Welcome to Nevada, now get out!" , oh well, maybe it's time I joined the fun!

01 JGC(limited)V8(stock)