Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CB
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:56 pm 

On the CB's, does it make a difference which one you get. I see inexpensive ones all the way up to very expensive ones. Which one is the best to get and why?

Thanks, Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

i learned a long time ago that for what we do with them a cheap cb works just fine. the expensive ones are mostly used by trucker that will also be running amps and stuff. i'm running a uniden pro 510xl that cost me about $50 and it's lived quite a few years. i also ran a radio shack cheapy that cost about $50 and it survived about 4 years. i've found that if you spring for a quality antenna and coax then have the radio & antenna tuned it can make even the cheapest radio a champ. i'm using a very flexable k40 antenna and what the truckers call "mini 8" coax made for use with an amp so it's sheilded a little better then the generic stuff. there are several people in the club that are radio people and can help you with the install if you ask nice. on my xj i ran the radio that's in my yj with a magnet mount antenna that i would put in the middle of the roof and then tuned the pair. it was a great set-up. when the radio shack unit in the yj died i moved the uniden over and it's still ticking. probably got 6 years out of it. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:24 pm 

I picked up a K40 antenna before the last club run. My uniden is dieing. I think the speaker is blown possibly. I figure it is better off just buying a new one. I've had this one since 94. My friends and I always ran CBs in high school. It was the thing to have. I'll need to have someone help me tune it when I get the new radio.

Thanks, Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:51 pm 

I have a Uniden 520, got off amazon for 53 bucks.

went to Petro and use a coax called i think Super 8 or something like that.

and a Wilson K40 antenna, that I like since it flexes

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:57 pm 

Duntov...

Brad was right about the radios and antennas. 8) I grew up around CB radios and you can go cheap or expensive. Both do the same thing, you just get more "bells and whistles" with the more expensive ones. I'm running a Uniden I paid about $70.00 for mounted overhead in my TJ and it works fine.

K40 makes great antennas. If you bought a K40 4ft. whip, it's a very good antenna and is very flexible. A lot of the members use it including myself. 8) If you pick up a radio, get it installed and make the run to Morman Wells this weekend, I'll tune it for you on the run. If not and you need help installing it, let me know. I have installed a few CB's and have helped some of the members with theirs. :D

John

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:19 pm 

We got the basic Uniden from Radio Shack. Maybe $45. Bought a nice preloaded antenna from the Flying J truck stop and mounted and ran the wiring myself. I haven't had it "tuned" but then I haven't ever been out of range of anyone in the group on the several runs I have done. Wiring is by choice. I wired mine with a disconnect so I could remove it if I needed to go topless and feared for the "expensive" toy. Also, I recommend that you wire it to a switched power supply. (I will say that this does cause a bit of a problem when Brad/Duuuuuuude begins talking before you start the Jeep again). But, there is no chance of you accidentally leaving the CB on and draining your battery while parked for a long time or overnight. (This has saved me more than once).

If you need help wiring, mounting, figuring, or anything else, feel free to ask.
:D

Travis

Mile Marker 8K, KC's, H4 conversion, etc, etc etc.

Post subject: CB radio
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:46 pm 

Hey Dontov, if you haven't purchased a CB yet, you may like to Google " Copper Electronics, INC." . I am in no way affiliated with them, but have purchased from them many years ago.

My rig runs a 102" whip, doesn't need tuning. Don't see any of them any more, but then I'm old school.

Regards, Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

hey charlie, you're right a 102" stainless whip is old school and it doesn't need tuning because it is full wave length. but here's a little fyi for you regarding your antenna if you decide to go on an organized 4x4 event like the rubicon trail or moab. some groups won't let you on the trail with a 102" whip because it gets to flailing around on a rough section and could hit other vehicles or by-standers, like the guy trying to spot you thru the rough spot. just something to keep in mind if you progress to rougher and tougher trails. 8)

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:19 pm 

Sorry, I will keep my mouth shut from now on.

Regards, Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:44 am 
Site Admin

i was not chewing you out for putting in your 2 cents worth, charlie. my post was ment as a little fyi which means "for your information". it is a little helpful advice fom someone in a club founded as a teaching and training club. if it offended you or hurt your feeling i'm sorry but one of the reasons for this clubs existence is to teach, train, and share experience. nobody around here will ask you to not put in your 2 cents worth.

NVBROFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:12 pm 

One thing to remember is offroading is rough on every component on your rig. I had a nice in dash Cobra until it fried. Now I run a radio shack cheapy and it has perhaps outlived the Cobra already. CB's put out 4 watts period (legaly :roll: ). The important part is how you get that 4 watts outside. The rest is convienience or sound quality.
I really like the bigger Cobra but don't have the space.

Any experts out there? I have a President HAM that needs repair.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

Post subject: CB Install
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:39 am 

I too have an uniden cb. Uncle Buck installed all the wiring for me and the antenna, however he was not able to hard wire the radio. It's plugged into the cig. lighter at the moment.

Is there anyone that could hard wire it for me? It's 01 TJ.

Thanks

Marla

Post subject: CB's
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:32 am 

Hey Charlie:

What Brad sez RE: 4 footers is true especially at SoCal meets and events.

It's True.

However, I have 2 spare Fiberglas 4 footers. You are welcome to the less-pretty of the pair (needs a piece of heat-shrink on the end to make a Tip) in exchange for the Usual Coin of the Realm arond here, to wit, a 12 pack or two 2-liter bottles of sugar and caffeine-free diet soda. Shasta or store brand be OK.

Then all you need to do is carry an end wrench with you to change it out as needed, plus a spare 3/8" stainless or bronze lockwasher. You WILL drop the washer into the dirt and lose it...trust me on this.

I have a 102" stainless whip on the ceiling of the Shop part of my garage, just too lazy to drill the four holes and snake the coaxial cable on the ZJ. It's easier to use a 40" Larsen (Radiall, now, since the merger) on the roof on an NMO mount.

Like Phil has on his XJ.

There are two, equally tacky ways to deal with a 102" antenna:

1. Tie the end off to a bumper with monofilament fishing line, then pull the line to bend it over until the top third is parallel to the ground;

2. Get a Mondo Long cable tie and find the farthest place from the mount on your Roof Rack/Basket, make a loop, and stick the 102 in as needed.

These methods tend to collect tree branches, however, and make large "THUNK" noises in your bodywork

For all those Radio Nerd Wannabes who will tell you that the whip has to be straight up to work, my reply is:

A. Watch the evening news. See the 12 foot whips on the HMMV's?
B. Almost all the Energy at HF (which CB is) goes, more or less, straight up anyway.

see: NVIS (near-vertical incidence skywave)

http://athensarc.org/nvis.asp

And, of course, the Final Arbiter of Antenna Quality:

Can they hear you at the Front and Back of the convoy?

Yes? Then she's a Good Antenna!

Of course, the only thing that looks Cooller than a 102" whip is a PAIR of 102" whips!

They don't work any better, but they Look Cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:38 pm 

Wouldn't a pair make it a directional array?

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:50 pm 

No, because you can't get two places far enough apart on a 20 foot or less vehicle to make a decent piece of a half wavelength.

No one said you had to hook BOTH of them to the radio...they'll still look cool, and sometimes that's important.

IF HOWEVER, you have two IDENTICALLY-TUNED antennas, mounted as far apart as possible on the rig:

AND, you excite ONE and ground the other one to the body, you WILL see an increase in the Antenna Current to the excited antenna and a consequent increase in Field Strength. Read: "makes more signal, hears more stuff."