Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IPOD Interface?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:15 pm 

Sigh. :?
The dust killed my CD player - again - but I did expect that.
Anyone want to post up information on IPOD interfaces? I researched on-line, and it looks like there are several options - some cheap - some expensive.
Anyone? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

My vote would be for sattelite radio. Several people are using it. I have Sirius myself. Others may have XM.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:44 pm 

awhile back I purchased an Alpine CD player and spent 20 bucks for an iPod adapter for it, at Best Buy. it goes out the back, and I keep the iPod in my glove box when I'm driving. the neat thing about the Alpine is that is one of those satellite ready radios, so whenever I decide I can budget it, I'll get Sirius or something.

the Alpine I have was not good at all for playing CDs, so even though the dust has gotten to my CD player, too, it's still convenient for the iPod.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:46 am 
Lucy,

I had XM radio in my Rubicon and loved it; especially out on the trail. I could set my favorite channel and just let it go. Very nice to get a good signal when out in the middle of the Mojave and be able to have a soundtrack to go with the wonderful views.

Ipod is my new love, but I think it's not very practical when off road. First, the units are somewhat delicate and probably won't do well with the abuse of being bounced around, subjected to dirt, dust, etc. Second, most folks like to switch from song to song or change playlists and this can take your attention away from the road.

I would recommend an XM Satellite Radio that also has a jack capable of supporting an IPod. This way you have the best of both.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth...

JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:25 am 

FM Modulator, goes inline between the antenae and radio. allows you to plug in XM, IPOD, MP3, cd player etc. inexpensive addon that works on any car stereo. got ours at circuit city for our XM.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:54 pm 

We just got one of those iCar hookups for the iPod. It ran about $80 at Best Buy. It plays through the FM stereo like most satellite radios do that are not hard wired. It works pretty well and also acts as a holder and a charger for the ipod.

I agree that they do not seem that trail-worthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:57 pm 

Based on all the input I have received (thanks, all! :) ) & research I have done, I decided to get the Audiovox FM Modulator with an RCA patch cord that plugs into the earbug port on the iPOD. It will cost way less then $100 (installed by Circuit City). Plus - if I decide later to get satellite radio - this same patch cord will easily plug into that radio.

A hard wired FM modulator is better (so I've read) then either wireless or the cigarette lighter plug in types since the sound is clean without static or interference.

Since my jeep's factory radio/cd player does not have a cd changer feature AND is not a "brand name" system with an auxiliary input - an FM modulator seems to be a must for either the satellite radio or any other audio device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:44 pm 

Lucy wrote:
A hard wired FM modulator is better (so I've read) then either wireless or the cigarette lighter plug in types since the sound is clean without static or interference.

I just got the FM modulator for my Sirus and it made a huge difference in the sound quality. I don't have the static that I got with the FM antenna extender which was the wireless way to get my Sirius radio to come over my factory radio. Thank goodness it was only $30. Money well spent. It sounded good all day while out on the trail. A great upgrade indeed...a must. :D