Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GPS
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:14 pm 
Still looking to buy my first GPS in the near future. Are the home made trail maps like seperate files that can be put up for download or emailed/shared?

Do gps units from different manufacturers use different/incompatible file formats?

I'm gonna grab a Garmin from gps city in the next week or 2.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:22 pm 

It seems like Garmin files work only with Garmin GPS units and the same goes for Magellan. There's probably a program that converts for either. I've tried to save and send tracks in a file that's supposed to be compatible with either mfg's but still didn't work for the Magellan user I sent it to.

I think there are more people with Garmin GPS units than Magellan's, but I could be wrong. I have a whole bunch of tracks saved from my Garmin GPS, so if there is somewhere you want to go, post it up and I'll see if I have the tracks for that area.

There is a United States Topo program that I use. It's around $100 or so. It is comparable to the US Geological Survey's 1:100,000 scale paper maps. There is also US Topo 24K National Parks maps in which I have the NP West maps. Both programs are very detailed and they have worked very well for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:47 pm 

Supposedly this program http://www.gpstm.com/ can read and save most file formats......and it's free...so it might be worth a shot if you want to trying converting some files....