Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lovel Canyon Area
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:16 pm 

Hello again...

For the March club run, we will be doing something a little different. Alan will be leading this one and we'll be doing some exploring. :D
Once again, we'll be over the hump in the Pahrump valley side of the hill. There's an area between Lovel Canyon and Trout Canyon with numerous trails that look interesting, so we'll be checking them out. We will meet on Hwy #160 on the Pahrump side, approximately one mile past the Lovel Canyon turnoff. If you aren't sure where the turn off is, just look for the group of Jeeps, we'll be parked just off the Highway. We'll meet at 9:00 and rollout at 9:30. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. Hope to see you there.

On a different note... There are members of the club that have questions regarding the use of GMRS radios. I have been with the club for over 20 years and we've always used CB radios. I grew up around CB and Amateur radios, my father was a Ham as long as I can remember, so I know how well these types of radios work. CB's work on the AM band, are low frequency and the most power you can legally put out is 4 watts. GMRS radios work on the FM band, which is quieter than AM. It's also UHF, {ultra high frequency} and you can legally put out up to 50 watts for better range. Now you don't need a license to use CB's, but a license is required for GMRS which is currently $35, {although not everyone using them has one}. You can purchase a 5 watt handheld GMRS radio for $50 or less. Officially, we are using CB radios on our runs. However, if the club members present have GMRS radios and choose to use them we will do so. Not to worry though, I usually run both CB and GMRS radios for those that maybe are unable to purchase a GMRS radio. I hope this helps.

John Grothe: Club Director

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

Post subject: Re: Lovel Canyon Area
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:27 pm 

Ooops!

Looks like I forgot a minor detail on my post, the date! :oops:

The run will be on Saturday, the 25th. I guess I forgot.

They say when you get old, two things happen. First your memory goes and I can't remember what the other thing was. :roll:

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:21 pm 

FYI....Just seen this on Mt Charleston FB Page. This is cut & Paste: Road closure alert ⚠️ All the recent rains have caused pretty severe damage to the road in the Lovell Summit area, making the road impassable in at least one spot if not more. The washout is on Lovell Summit Road 1 mile West of Coal Springs Community. There is also a good chance there are more washouts closer to Trout Canyon, and more may develop with the next round of rain since the ground is saturated and lots of dirt has been destabilized. Please avoid the area until crews can get the area repaired. Just Saying, Becareful.

Fox 2.0 shox's
ProComp wheels & tires
Artic Camo wrap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:36 pm 

see you at 9 am tomorrow

John and Chris wrote:
Ooops!

Looks like I forgot a minor detail on my post, the date! :oops:

The run will be on Saturday, the 25th. I guess I forgot.

They say when you get old, two things happen. First your memory goes and I can't remember what the other thing was. :roll:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]