Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:48 pm 

http://www.nvhouseofhose.com <---they make all my custom hose.

the light weight blue hose was purchased from them.
they also have all the fittings you would ever want.

:wink:

North Vegas
1015 Sharp Circle
North Las Vegas, NV 89030
Phone: (702) 399-1497

Henderson
736 W. Sunset
Henderson, NV 89015
Phone: (702) 565-1288

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:25 pm 

House of Hose is a good place, had them make a lot of stuff for me too. I once had them fab some stainless steel braided, hi pressure/hi temp air line to replace a line that kept getting hot and blowing with 175 PSI going through it :shock: Wasn't cheap, but I still have the assembly and likely will for years.

Aeroquip is another good one. They made my extended brake lines for me.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:07 pm 

I made a CO2 set up today. Works sweeet :D

Cost break down:

Air Gas
Full 20# cylinder bought out right on exchange plan $125.00
Fixed 125# PSI kick down regulator $32.05
Nifty holding bracket $24.95
Haz-Mat fee (no getting around this legally) $5.50

Home Depot
Optional 10# - 200# max regulator to kick pressure lower if needed (really don't need it, but hey what the heck). $19.97
2 Multi-couplers, (works with any male fitting, a good thing) 2 male fittings and 2 brass nipples to tie it all together. $16.17
50' 1/4" coiled hose $8.97
Air inflator I like $19.97

Grand total minus tax- $252.58

Now you can get a cheaper inflator, I chose one with the built in guage. You don't need a second regulator, as the fixed 125# is fine for tires and most everything else. So you could really save up another $40 or so from what I did. More if you make your own bracket, but the cost to me wasn't worth the time and resources it would take to do so. You can also go with a 5# cylinder, which is cheaper up front but costs only $5 less to exchange.

Possible negative aspects.

The tank is not truly yours in reality, even though you could keep it for ever I guess. I got a nifty brand new spun aluminum one by chance. If I go to exchange it, who knows what I'll get. You can go and get the tank refilled though, if you go to a refilling station as not all supply places refill on site, or while you wait. But it might be more of a hassle, depends on how picky you are I guess. Air Gas said the exchange was $28.00.

You won't get a cool sticker to put on your vehicle.

You'll have more money left over for more doo dads.

In the future I might build or buy a 4 tire set up like some people have, which is where the second regulator comes in handy as you set it and it does the work. And possibly plumb my vehicle for air if I don't go with an engine supplied OBA system. But this was a "for now" issue, as I'm tired of trying to find a place to air up, waiting on my spitter-sputter compressor or bothering Geno every run :oops:

Safety notes.

As Mac noted in an earlier post; CO2 is an expanding gas, so the hotter it gets, the more it expands. If it gets hot enough, it vents and can blow the safety valve, which is not good for anything in the vicinity. So you want to mount it in a way that it won't sit and cook in the sun or heat from rolled up windows. I mounted mine to be temporary, so I can take it out when I'm not on a run or using it in general. Using some sort of heat shielding likely would not hurt either.

You also want to mount it so that the regulator, tank valve, and the tank itself are not in line with vehicle occupants. If something gives and the pressure pops off, you're going to have a handful of missiles going every where, usually in a straight line first. The back of your seat won't stop a 20# cylinder on a mission :wink:

Also: Lowes now carries a small portable CO2 system and tanks. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none IIRC the tanks come in 32oz. and 16 oz. and the 32's are around $30 and require an exchange. If you buy the system right now, you get a 16oz. (or whatever size it is) tank for free. Seems like it's spendy in the long run, but for just airing up tires once a month, it might be good for some folks.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:35 pm 

I bought my Ultimate Air 15lb setup for 250 shipped to my door.

I like it so far. The only draw back, is if you need to use it to run air tools, you may not have any air left for your tires.
But your jeep will be fixed.

The cost of filling it was cheap here in Cali.

Todd
Navy-Jeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:39 am 
All Hose is also a company in which you can get your fittings and whatnot from as well. They have a south and a north location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:58 am 

but for the same money, can't you just buy one of those VIAIR systems?

or are you needing the ability to run air tools as well as air up tires, in case something breaks on the trail?

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:33 am 

JJ wrote:

or are you needing the ability to run air tools as well as air up tires, in case something breaks on the trail?

If I was going to do a VIAIR or Kilby, or similar using an external pump, I'd go through the trouble of mounting an air tank and lines to make it worth the while, and use a constant duty or similar pump. Most of the affordable air compressors & systems I have come across cannot air tires up really fast by themselves or even much faster with a tank as they are not designed for the quick air up. I say affordable because there are some that will do the job, but they pull serious amps and cost serious coinage, roughly twice what I can do my own OBA for. Those systems aren't cheap when done right. The "affordable" VIAR system isn't much faster than my portable 12 volt I carry.

I'm looking at 2 options right now. Using an old A/C compressor and making my own OBA system using Kilby and store bought stuff, or putting up the coin for the new Warn winch/compressor combo and still adding a remote tank for storage. I plan on electric lockers so other than tires, maybe air tools and filling camping mattress's and powering some really loud air horns for driving among the populace will be my requirement for a decent CFM system. And in all seriousness, airing all my tires up in less than 5 minutes total set up, air up and put away time is a lot nicer than 2-3 minutes per tire that the lower end systems require.

I'm really waiting on some feedback about the new Warn combo though, as well as seeing it first hand. The idea sounds good, but I'm worried about some things on them that no one has yet been able to answer from first hand experience for me.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:21 pm 

GaryB wrote:
JJ wrote:

If I was going to do a VIAIR or Kilby, or similar using an external pump, I'd go through the trouble of mounting an air tank and lines to make it worth the while, and use a constant duty or similar pump. Most of the affordable air compressors & systems I have come across cannot air tires up really fast by themselves or even much faster with a tank as they are not designed for the quick air up. I say affordable because there are some that will do the job, but they pull serious amps and cost serious coinage, roughly twice what I can do my own OBA for. Those systems aren't cheap when done right. The "affordable" VIAR system isn't much faster than my portable 12 volt I carry.

I'm looking at 2 options right now. Using an old A/C compressor and making my own OBA system using Kilby and store bought stuff, or putting up the coin for the new Warn winch/compressor combo and still adding a remote tank for storage. I plan on electric lockers so other than tires, maybe air tools and filling camping mattress's and powering some really loud air horns for driving among the populace will be my requirement for a decent CFM system. And in all seriousness, airing all my tires up in less than 5 minutes total set up, air up and put away time is a lot nicer than 2-3 minutes per tire that the lower end systems require.

I'm really waiting on some feedback about the new Warn combo though, as well as seeing it first hand. The idea sounds good, but I'm worried about some things on them that no one has yet been able to answer from first hand experience for me.

old saying....

"Do not put All your eggs in one basket"
winch should be for winching...air should be separate.
Costco and Pep Boys have a great little portable air comp
its 59.00 and it is good for the casual air up..not for tools.
Duty Cycle is 15on /30 off

option # 2
using a air cond compressor can be done...takes some doing
but the Kilby is the same thing. (cost in 3 yrs has almost tippled)

option # 3
VIAIR is a great elec compressor...make sure you check the
Duty Cycle you want 100% Duty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:11 pm 

mac wrote:

old saying....

"Do not put All your eggs in one basket"
winch should be for winching...air should be separate.

That's one of my issues with the Warn set up. If one has problems, are they both kaput or are they separate in operation? The duty cycle is another, as I'd like to have it run occasionally to resupply storage tanks. I'd like to talk to someone who has done some real world testing with one, not just demo'd it on a fun run out with Warn under ideal conditions.

I like the idea of electric compressor over an A/C since you don't need the engine running for electric. Plus, for my set up, using an A/C compressor means moving my alternator down to use the stock brackets/geometry. Likely not a biggie, but I have qualms about my alternator being that low in water crossings and soupy mud.

Decisions, decisions.......

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:24 pm 

I have seen the new Warn at the Cal4Wheel convention in Reno.
It looks nice, but I am not sure I want that much air being blocked on the front of my jeep. My temp all ready went up some with my current winch (XD9000i) because of the decreased air flow to the radiator.

The Warn rep said they are looking at redesigning some things on it, but he did not ellaborate.

I like my CO2 tank, but still carry my Harbor Freight Air compressor as a backup when my CO2 tank is empty.
We had to use my tank today to reseat a bead on a tire. The tank was almost empty, but it did get the bead reseated.
Glad we had it to make that happen, or we could still be on the trail.

Todd
Navy-Jeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:59 am 

GaryB wrote:

I like the idea of electric compressor over an A/C since you don't need the engine running for electric. Plus, for my set up, using an A/C compressor means moving my alternator down to use the stock brackets/geometry. Likely not a biggie, but I have qualms about my alternator being that low in water crossings and soupy mud.

Decisions, decisions.......

Kilby OBA..crossing Kane Creek...
23 times we crossed some deep water
mud..is something i try to stay away from
never has been an issue.

"knock on wood"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:03 pm 

Do you run the A/C compressor supplied system, or the electric pump one?

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Last edited by GaryB on Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:09 pm 

Navy-Jeepster wrote:
I have seen the new Warn at the Cal4Wheel convention in Reno.
It looks nice, but I am not sure I want that much air being blocked on the front of my jeep. My temp all ready went up some with my current winch (XD9000i) because of the decreased air flow to the radiator.

Todd
Navy-Jeepster

That was a thought too, but I could fab a new bumper to drop the winch some, as well as add a scoop to the lower part of the radiator to draw in more air. Plus I just installed a new 4 row, cross flow radiator, which should really help keep things cooler at low idle.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:01 am 

GaryB wrote:
Do you run the A/C compressor supplied system, or the electric pump one?

i had the Viar electric ...
it was not strong enough to run my suspension system.
0.95 cu/ft/min

the kilby OBA is a "York" compressor..the same type in most vehicles.
approx 10/cu/ft/min

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:39 pm 

Well, that's a bunch of good info on airing up. I opted for the air tank over the oba cuz the people I talked to that had a low cost oba said it worked on about 3 tires before over-heating meaning they had to wait about 15 minutes for it to cool down. It was also much slower.
Also, there is a place in N. Las Vegas on Production off Craig east of 15 that fills really cheap. I think it's called Nevada Industrial Gas. They filled my 20# for about $8 vs $23 at Airgas. They also do it right then instead of making you wait till the next day. I was in and out of there in 15 minutes with a full tank(nitro). Plus, if you have one of those exchange tanks you get to keep it.