Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CO2 tanks?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:15 am 

I'm thinking about getting a CO2 tank to air-up. Any suggestions? Rubicon Rob mentioned he bought a cheaper tank than the power tanks available at 4 wheel parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:05 pm 

I spoke to a guy from Praxair when he was dropping off helium tanks at my school. (Student council likes to blow up balloons for stuff :P) I told him what I was interested in doing in regards to the on-board CO2, and he indicated it would take 3 different local companies to complete the type of system off-roaders would want. The tank & the regulator they can handle - but the hose and the parts that go onto the tire comes from another companies. He gave me suggestions of WHO, but I can't remember...

I thought he was pretty helpful - but I never followed through by calling Praxair and really making plans after our chat. JeepingJoe has a CO2 tank & can probably tell you more about complete systems offered on-line ($400, I think)

I want to go cheaper then that, plus I already have an OLD CO2 tank I can have Praxair refurbish -

Ahhh - future plans....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:21 pm 

You can buy re CO2 regulators from most of the companies that sell the tank systems.

For those in the military, Ultimate air gives a military discount of 15% and free shipping.

But you can buy tanks on Ebay. Some may need to have a new test date on them, but a place like Praxair can take care of that for you.

The issue with one of the whole systems, is you want to keep you cool looking tank. If you get a generic tank, then you can just swap it out and not wait for yours to be filled.

Todd
Navy-Jeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:14 pm 

main air is from the OBA Kilby system.

i use Nitrogen Tank as my backup for long trips

main reason is heat in the summer..not worried about venting in the cab

Tank source
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbee ... anks.shtml

choose the tank..pick the right valve Co2 and Nitrogen have different threads on the valves
filled locally here in Henderson

purchase the hose at

house of hose <---in henderson

fittings
house of hose

gage 2800 psi adjustable 0-200lbs/psi
(buy quality..not a cheap one your life depends on it )
Welding Shop / Liquid Aire <---Henderson
bracket to hold tank
fire extinguisher co on Boulder Hhy

total coast was under 275.00

if anyone needs more info or has questions...
please contact me if i can help.

mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:28 pm 

mac wrote:
total coast was under 275.00

Thanks, Mac! :D These are the details I was looking for, too! The photos are an awesome touch 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:26 am 

I used a paintball setup for under $75. But the capacity is lower, or carry multiple small bottles (2x 20 Oz.). Smaller more compact, but has to be refilled every time. Also this is unregulated pressure. But it is compatible with all paintball regulators and fittings.

Parts are at any paintball store for the tank and "remote system" and refills. The tire fitting and adapter are at home depot.

Having played paintball this was the easiest for me to build.

Also paintball stores deal in high pressure air and nitrogen systems. They are just not familliar with any application outside paintball.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:12 am 

33 cubic high pressure tank <--the one in the pic that i use..

advantage
fill tires many many times
use air tools
ability to have lots of high pressure air to re-seat a bead

Nitrogen
cost has gone up slightly in 3 yrs..
now pay 19.40 / fill ( avg fill once a yr..due to i don't use this system a lot )

disadvantage..
none that i know of
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:15 pm 

Thanks for all the info, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:36 am 
I use a Power Tank setup. ( 20lbs. the biggest they make) The initial cost is more than a DIY setup but I feel better about it sitting behind me. Power Tank has a good web site that answers alot of questions. powertank.com

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:42 am 

Thanks Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:53 am 

scuba steve wrote:
I use a Power Tank setup. ( 20lbs. the biggest they make) The initial cost is more than a DIY setup but I feel better about it sitting behind me. Power Tank has a good web site that answers alot of questions. powertank.com

Steve

I have the 15lb powertank and I feel the same way.

NVTTORA President/Webmaster
www.nvttora.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:54 am 

If you go to your local cylinder suppler (normally those that feel hospital needs and fire extinguisher needs) you'll find 10lb used tanks that they will sell you. Here in SLC we can get them filled with valve for $37.50 THey even pressure test them for free (required every 5 years). Purchase a regulator with them or go to your local beverage company and you can pick up fully adjustable rebuilt regulators for $35-$45. Then get a good quality hose (not the kind at lowes or wlamart). You'll then have a system that you'll sepnd 75% less than what a power tank cost.

I can feel up my 31's" from 17 to 35 in less than 20 seconds. It will also run air tools without a problem. It has only froze on me once, which oddly enough was the hotest day in recent years. But in a matter of minutes I was back to airing up.

What's your excuse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:05 am 

i just ordered a nitro tank from the link Mac put up and will get the rest of the parts up here in N. Vegas. That should work better than one of those little plug in compressors.
Thanks for all of your in puts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:12 am 

scuba steve wrote:
The initial cost is more than a DIY setup but I feel better about it sitting behind me.

Steve

Ahhh come on, what's the worst that can happen? So a regulator pops and beans you in the back of head at 200 MPH :roll:

Seriously though, like before mentioned, anyone looking to do there own set up should spend the extra money and get equipment from a reputable dealer in that business, whether it be a welding supply, hospital supply, etc. Or at least, have any of them inspect your set up and certify it for you, which many will before they will even fill it. Your tank and regulator are the 2 most important items that skimping on cost can only lead to trouble.

I'd also have any hoses made at a hose shop, as they can make them with higher quality hose and barbed fitting you can't find at Loewe's etc. etc. Especially if any of your lines will be holding air pressure for long periods of times.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:16 am 

Yeah, I definately plan on getting it tested and inspected before filling and using it. There are a couple places up here on the north side that I can get that done.