Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:56 pm 

A challenging, but unique opportunity for the right kind of person.

Some of you know that I volunteer for the Mojave Desert Heritage and Cultural Association, in Goffs, CA (www.mdhca.org). This association has several different 'identities'. They are:

(1) A sprawling, open-air museum of desert artifacts, much of which is antique mining equipment, including very rare, working versions of a two-stamp mill, a ten-stamp mill, and a gyratory crusher.

(2) A museum-quality archive of tens of thousands of books, magazines, photos, and interviews with people who homesteaded in the East Mojave long ago

(3) A voice for maintaining jeep trails in the desert - in particular, the Old Mojave Road. If any of you have the guidebook that documents how to run that trail, it was originally written by Dennis Casebier, the founder of the MDHCA. As a further plug, if any of you have any of Roger Mitchell's jeeping guides, he and his wife Loris are long-time supporters and volunteers at the MDHCA.

The MDHCA has managed, in the past, with volunteers to look after and run the place. Sadly, their current caretakers have health problems which are going to cause them to step down. So, the MDHCA is looking for someone to become a new Site Manager to run the place.

This will not be an easy undertaking, but perhaps it might appeal to someone out there. Goffs is remote. It is ten miles to the nearest 'store', which is just a gas station on route 40. The nearest town is Needles, 30 miles away. Searchlight is 50 miles away.

Housing and utilities are provided, as well as a minimum wage salary.

They aren’t necessarily assuming someone will take the job indefinitely. A year, or even a few months, could work out.

If you're interested, I have more information. Email me at symphylan@gmail.com. Don’t email me here, because I may not see it all that soon.