Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheeler Pass CANCELLED
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:59 pm 

Hi folks... for June, I will be running Wheeler Pass on Saturday, 6/20/15. :D We will be starting on Cold Creek RD. off 95 and ending in Pahrump. Meet at 8:30 and roll at 9:00.

For those interested, I wll be pre running it on Monday, 5/25/15, (Memorial Day). I'll be at Cold Creek RD. at 9:00, so if you can't make it in June, maybe you can make the pre run. If anyone has questions or needs directions, let me know.

John 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

Post subject: Re: Wheeler Pass
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:31 am 

Howzit! Count me in. I will have my wife and keikis with me on our Jeeps maiden voyage :mrgreen: Could you give me some directions as I'm not familiar with the area. Mahalo!

CarDomain Pics
Mana Brand Marketing & Design - Hawaii

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:39 am 

Head north on U. S. 95. Cold Creek goes between the prisons. You'll see them on the left side of the road. Cold Creek is past Lee Canyon Road

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:30 pm 

Thank you sir 8)

CarDomain Pics
Mana Brand Marketing & Design - Hawaii

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:39 pm 

Hello,
I really would like to know please if there any kids coming along tomorrow.
Thank you for the information.
Zach

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:00 pm 

Zach, as of right now we are not sure of who will be there tomorrow. No one has posted that they are going. John and I will be there. You and your son are always welcome! :) Chris

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:12 pm 

Thank you very much.
I will join you on June 20th.
Have a great run!
Thanks
Zach

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:27 pm 

First off, I'd like to thank Frank, Walt & Rubicon Bob for going on the pre-run with Chris & I. We got muddy, rained and hailed on and even did a little horse wrangling, we had a lot of fun. :D

Unfortunately, I'm going to need to change the location of the June club run. We discovered that due to rains and water run off, Wheeler Pass is no longer "stock vehicle friendly". :(

I will probably list it as a fun run at a later time. I'm also working on an alternate location for the June club run and will post it in the near future. The date and meet time will remain the same.

John 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:02 pm 

John, does "stock friendly" mean every four wheel drive, up to and including full size quad cab long beds? I've recently run the Bowl trail 3 times in nine days, the last time with 18 Jeeps, three brand new Jeeps with green drivers, no one had a problem, and there were a lot of four door JK's, I don't know how long the Jk Unlimiteds are but they seem pretty big, and its only 35 miles from the Speedway, just a thought. On a side note my little carbureted CJ-5 did the trail from the quarry to our January run lunch stop, and back, and The Matterhorn, it was so much fun!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:06 pm 

Club rules dictate a club run must be rated a 2.5 or lower. This rating is for the newer drivers and "stock" vehicles. All 4 of the jeeps that did the pre run were lifted with 33" or larger tires. We had no trouble, but some might have with the rocks and mud. Two club directors were on the run and both agreed it was beyond a club run. I will post it as a fun run probably for July, for those not going to make Ely this year.

John. 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:01 am 

I did not mean to imply the wrong call was made about Wheeler pass, I was just curious how the club would rate The Bowl trail, My thoughts of it were that only full size trucks and suv's might have trouble with approach angles.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Scottie, if you go to the Club Info section you'll find the clubs trail rating guide. I've always rated the Bowl Trail as a 3 minimum by these standards. I've run it when it's been worse and the Bowl was full of water and mud that up'd in a lot!

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:18 pm 

Talking about water and mud. How's things down in your neck of the woods brad ?

Rescue Ranger
NBCC
NVMC
NBROC founding member
NBSC
NBZORT Unit # 1
702-595-6213

https://apathetic-wealth-3217.glideapp.io/

http://www.expeditionportal.com

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:08 pm 

Scottie... I had no problem, you were asking questions. The call was made for the person who is new to wheeling, someone with little or no experience and has a new or stock vehicle. I don't want to scare someone off on their first run. As for the bowl... I haven't run it for a few years, but I would have to agree with Brad and rate it a solid 3 or higher.

John 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:32 pm 

John, I did not think you had a problem with me, I thought I misrepresented my own meaning in my first post. I was not second guessing the club Directors, or the club ratings. I thought The bowl Trail was at the edge of the club standards and (before you posted Bitter Springs), I thought The Bowl Trail might, possibly, be a good alternative to Wheeler pass, I only mentioned long wheel base, full size rigs, because I would not drive anything longer than a late model Ford Bronco on The Bowl Trail.
I have been riding in a Jeep, in the dirt, from Truckhaven to Glamis, since 1976, therefore I am in NO WAY qualified to judge how a Driver that has never driven off of the pavement would react to a trail, I NEED experienced Backroaders like You, Bob, Brad, and Tom, to make that call for Me.
I should have made the first sentence, of my first post "Is The Bowl Trail a club friendly run?". I was a bit euphoric after My little carbureted Jeep performed so well out there, I'm certain I was over exuberant in My desire to share that feeling with others. I hope The Backroaders are always protecting new Jeepers from my "You got this!" attitude, I would be disappointed in Myself if I frightened A new Backroader away from the sights We see, My apologies.
Brad, you are missed, I hope you can visit us soon, I know we have a seat for you.