Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wheeler Pass
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Scott, last time I did the Bowl trail, probably about 5 years ago, it was pretty much Club friendly if you take all the bypasses. But if you throw in Matterhorn, it would take it above Club friendly. Not sure what it looks like now since it has been so long ago.

It could always be a Fun Run, then at least ratings do not matter much. Since you have been on of the last to run it, you could always lead a group through it. Just a thought. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:38 pm 

1976... What a coinidence, that's when I got my fist 4WD vehicle too. A 1975 Dodge short bed, half ton power wagon, with a 318. I loved that truck.

John. 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:40 pm 

Bob, I thought The Bowl Trail might come close to "Club run Friendly", but I really have no ability to filter a trail rating for a new driver, The Bowl Trail was definitely dry on Sunday. What I assume was "The Sh***er trail" and "The Matterhorn Trail", I would never suggest as a club run. I'm so introverted on the radio, that I'm gun shy about leading any trails, I'm talkative in person, but on the radio, I'd be like "right", "left", "straight". It was an enjoyable trail, and I think any Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, FJ Cruisers, and Raoul driving His truck, Would be O.K. but I don't want to get anyone on a trail, beyond their comfort zone. I'm willing to lead any trail I'm familiar with, so log as I have an experienced member to oversee My exuberance.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:09 pm 

John, you posted as I was proof reading My post. I was two years old when Dad exposed Me to Jeeping, by the time I was five I was arguing with Him about the trails he was forcing Me to walk up, "Dad we are men, We have to protect the girls, but we can handle the risk!" I still had to walk. I told Melody She would have some white knuckle moments, referencing the steep inclines and declines of The Bowl Trail, after the fact, She said My warnings frightened Her more than the trail. I don't think I'm a good trail guide, but I have a good sense of direction, and I'm always willing to support the club. I'm more than willing to lead a fun, or club run, so long as I have an experienced member keeping Me in check.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:22 pm 

John, My "handle" online is "DarksideHybrid" it is a vague reference to Darth Vader, He was part "goodguy" and part "badguy",. The first time I saw "STARWARS" was at a drive in, I was three years old, I could barely see over the hood of that Power Wagon, it was orange.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

You might be good be a trail leader, you never know until you try. As far as your "comfort zone" statement, a Fun Run is more of a "enter at your own risk" type of run. As long as you describe beforehand what might be expected, people can choose whether they want to try or not. Of course you know John or I, even other experienced leaders are always available to help if/when needed.

As far as being nervous or whatever you want to call it about leading your first run, keep in mind, we have all been at that same point AND survived. If you don't know the background history of a trail, it is not a big deal. There are plenty of trails that I know the route but not the history.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

I have moved this topic to General Discussion as it is no longer about the upcoming Club Run.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:02 pm 

Some of the best fun runs I think are trails that you just want to check out with only a general idea where you are heading and expecting anything. As long as your group knows your heading into the unknown and you have some experienced people along also. Those are my favorite runs and you won't have any trouble finding people to do these with you .

Rescue Ranger
NBCC
NVMC
NBROC founding member
NBSC
NBZORT Unit # 1
702-595-6213

https://apathetic-wealth-3217.glideapp.io/

http://www.expeditionportal.com

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:43 pm 

The Matterhorn, 5/25/2015 21 minutes. 2 T.J.'s, 1 J.K., 1 Y.J., 1 C.J.
https://youtu.be/5TYnSxPaeWo

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:34 pm 

5/22/2015 The entrance to "The Bowl", (waterfall go-around), 2 J.K.'s, 2T.J.'s
https://youtu.be/D18Js-6Y4vE