Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:50 pm 

The Desert Tortoise Conservation Center in Las Vegas (you can Google it) is looking for volunteers to help release tortoises into the wild. I got an email about it, and decided to post it here, specifically because they need folks with 4x4s to help drive the critters to release sites.

Here's some more information from the email:

"My staff and I are trying to release 500 desert tortoises back to the wild this fall - the SDZ is the only organization legally allowed to release tortoises to the desert since they are a threatened species. I was hoping one of you could send out the attached flyer to the rescue network because we are looking for volunteers to help us with this huge endeavor. I know that all of us already volunteer a lot of our time, but this is a special event since people will get to help us mark, transport, and release these special animals back to the wild. Under normal circumstances, it's against the law for people to touch wild desert tortoises so this will be a treat for people who are interested. They just need to commit some time to an orientation and training, and then they can help on site with preparing the tortoises for release, and then with the release itself. This will happen starting in late Aug and will end in late Oct, and people can commit as much or as little time as they like as long as they're willing to work hard while they're here with us. People who are interested can contact Angie Covert, the DTCC's Research Coordinator, for more information or to sign up at acovert@sandiegozoo.org ."

That's all I know!
Dawn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:39 pm 

I just sent them a request for more info, so we can help out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:35 pm 

Their facility is in my backyard, I will send an e-mail when I get home from work.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!