Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Runs
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:52 pm 

It's too bad that with gas being around $4.00 a gallon all of the Club runs for the last few months have been so far out of town. I would like to do some runs but at this time I cannot afford to spend $100 on gas. I know there are other Backroaders out there in the same position. I'm not a trail leader so please don't tell me to Lead a Club run. Just when you are thinking about runs please remember that some of us are having a hard time with finiances these days but would still like to partisipate.
Thank You. :?

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

Post subject: Re: Runs
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:54 pm 

It's a concern of mine Dave, trust me, as we're about $.20 higher here and I have to drive 150 miles one way to either Vegas or Ely to do a club run, which I'd like to be more active in than I have been. I was really hoping to tag along on some White Pine runs this year too :|

I think one of the biggest issues is everything close to Vegas has been closed, and people seem to get tired of doing the same 3 or 4 "close" trails. At least that's been the consensus in the past.

Maybe we need to start car pooling our runs?

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:53 am 

Dave, you and I are in the same boat. I won't be attending the run this weekend, nor White Pine. If you, or anybody else, that is in the same boat want to get together this weekend, give me a ring 702-4O3-0607 or post up on here.

NBMC/CC/MP/LD

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:13 am 

Ok, so this comment got me curious about the runs that we do. So, I took a look at the entire year's worth of runs, from last May until this May:

May - Grapevine Springs, Mt. Charleston
June - Wheeler Pass
July - Ely
August - Mormon Well Road
September - Gold Point, Death Valley
October - Wee Thump, Searchlight
November - Bitter Springs
December - None
January - Electric Avenue, Colorado River
February - Talc Mine and Sperry Wash, Tecopa
March - Picture Rocks, Sandy Valley
April - Titus Canyon
May - Mt. Irish

Of these, I would consider Ely, Gold Point, Titus Canyon, and Mt. Irish to be far away, while I would consider all of the others to be pretty local. Ely and Titus are standards every year, so the only "new" runs that were far away this year were Gold Point and Mt. Irish. Four out of 12 non-local runs doesn't seem too bad (or, 2 out of 12 if you only count the "new" ones).

I think we're incredibly lucky to live in a place where there are so many local runs so near a major city. I bet there are folks in other big cites who would drool to have ANY runs within an hour drive of their home.

What other major city has places like Wheeler Pass or Sperry Wash within a day's drive, let alone just a hop down the road? Hell (pun intended), how many people fly thousands of miles to visit Death Valley, yet we're irritated that it's a couple hours away by car? I am as guilty as anyone else. I haven't done Titus Canyon in years, because it just seems so dang far away. Nah. I'm just spoiled.

Yep, gas is expensive. And, as we all know, the fuel efficiency rating of a jeep is "are you kidding?" But, even without high gas prices, let's face it. jeeping is not a cheap hobby. What good hobby is?

What we DO need is for other folks to suggest runs, close OR far. New runs are always exciting. For example, when we first did the Lucy Gray a few years ago (new run, close to town), we had 42 vehicles! Everyone loves new runs. Don't think that you have to lead a run, just because you're the one who found it. You can always describe it to one of the folks who commonly leads runs, and they can check it out.

Speak up! We need you!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:35 pm 

I'm with you on this 100 percent Dawn. You should have seen how far I had to go for a run in Idaho. It was 309 miles for me yesterday door to door. That's alot of miles but I covered alot
of ground with new territory that I haven't seen before.

Rescue Ranger
NBCC
NVMC
NBROC founding member
NBSC
NBZORT Unit # 1
702-595-6213

https://apathetic-wealth-3217.glideapp.io/

http://www.expeditionportal.com

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with Dave and everyone else.

While we need new runs to keep the Club fresh and interesting to new members, sometimes these distant runs can be a hardship on some. That is why I haven't made as many runs as I would like. With my work schedule, the thought of driving a long distance sometimes doesn't appeal to me. As with the May Run, if I didn't have something planned for next weekend, we would have been there. Couldn't afford to do both. There are some good runs that can be done locally. We haven't been to Burrow Wash in a long time. Or Morgantown or Juan/Hart Mine.

There are some great runs out by Primm. They could be done as a Fun Run, where the amount of vehicles can be limited due to being in the Mojave Preserve. Also with doing a Fun Run, we do not have to follow the Club ratings. If someone wants to play harder, like Potato Ridge or Logandale, we can do that.

As far as Ely, don't forget that we have Club members that live up there. The Ely weekend has always been in July. The planning for that weekend starts the day after the current weekend there. Planning for the 2013 weekend starts on 7/30/12.

Just my 2 cent opinion.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:33 am 

Hmmm :|

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!