Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:33 pm 

I am thinking about the last week of April/first week of may or somewhere in that time frame about heading up to Goldfield, then back down to Bodie Rd and stopping in Aurora, then on across to Bodie. It may have a one overnight camping stop in there somewhere and will be stopping along the way for photos. That is the main point in the trip is to gather some really good landscape and ghost town photos and enjoy the back roads. This would be my first long "expedition" as I guess you could call it.

Anyone interested in doing something like that? I can offer more of a firm date as I see how my work schedule pans out by then.

Nick

nick@excopLLC.com

http://www.facebook.com/LasVegasAmsoilDirect

Youtube Exploration channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/FJGhostTowner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:07 am 

I would be interested - would have to check the dates. Let me look at the kids activities and let you know how the end of April looks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:41 am 

Cool! I'll keep you updated as I can get more firm on the date. We've been going through a management changeover where I work, and my schedule has changed 6 times in 6 weeks, so it has been really tough to nail down a schedule for anything!

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:59 pm 

By way of advise: I'd check in with the rangers at Bodie (I don't have the number handy right now, but they do have a phone) shortly before heading out. Snow is always a factor and the deep snows of this winter will likely be lingering deep even by May. Especially on the road between Bodie and Aurora. If the snow is gone, the mud will still be there and is generally always bad at the old toll station just inside California. The rangers should have info on that route as well as the main road in from Bridgeport.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 am 

David,
Thanks for the very helpful advice. I was curious about that as well. (and I haven't looked the number up yet) I guess giving the elevation, I could push this out into early summer and give it a chance to dry out some, and still be able to camp comfortably at night.

Thanks again!

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:11 pm 

Bodie State Historic Park: 760-647-6445.

You might be able to reach Aurora easily enough during your original time frame as there is an active gold mine just east of the town site and they likely maintain the roads to the gold mine. The road to Aurora townsite branches off that road just before you get to the mine gate. The town's extensive cemetery is at the top of the hill before you get to the town.

The dirt road in from Hawthorne via Lucky Boy might be OK over the Wassuk Range, but does gain considerable elevation before dropping off into the valley between the Wassuk Range and Bodie Hills. A better way might be via the Yerington / Wellington area, coming in toward Bridgeport via NV338 and just before entering California a maintained dirt road (signed) branches off SE and hits the road in from Hawthorne at the site of Fletcher (a former stage stop and now a large ranch). This would provide the least elevation gain/loss of any of the approaches to Aurora and is wide open for maximum snow melt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34 pm 

So I sat down and looked a little deeper after Davids recommendations.... I think I'll push this to the end of May or early-mid June. Route will be:
Vegas to Rhyolite, then Scotty's Junction. Stopping and the abandoned airfield in Armagosa for a few photos.
Off to Lida Junction and see what is there. (I hear another abandoned airfield)
Then Gold Point
Goldfield
Tonopah
Mina/Sodaville
Loop through Candlearia and Belleville (offroad trips)
Hawthorne and hit the trail through to Aurora, Fletcher and Bodie.

The return looks like taking 395 to mono lake and then 190 to Daylight Pass. If time permits I may hit some spots in Death Valley.

About 800 miles round trip. I plan on camping once, maybe twice.
Just a note that for my FJ, I calculated gas to be about $220

If anyone wants to go along, again the invite is out there and I certainly entertain thoughts on what I am putting together here.
Nick

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:00 pm 

If you are in the Gold Point area, the Gold Mountain region just south of there is very nice. The ghosts of Stateline and Oriental offer plenty of ruins. Oriental is up in the pinion pine belt and shady. Stateline is at 6,000 but in Joshua trees and desert scrub. Nice camping near the old headframe prominently in view with great views.

Tule Canyon is also in the Gold Point region and offers some ghost town ruins, desert to heavy pinion pine forest route.

If you're at Scotty's Junction and want to maximize your dirt travel, there is a maintained road up from the Bonnie Clair ghost town, past the interesting Hard Luck Mine castle (recently completed), the historic Rattlesnake Mine, over the top of a shoulder of Gold Mountain, down near Oriental and Stateline and you can branch off for Gold Point.

Candelaria has two access roads - one via US95 (from the east) and one via NV360 (from the west). I've never been into the site from the US95 side but think it paved. The road in from the west is bladed dirt, but has not been maintained since the open pit mine went idle about 2006. The ghost town is left alone, but the northern part of town is buried under an immense tailing pile several hundred feet deep. West of town can be seen the railroad terminus of the Candelaria Branch of the narrow gauge Carson & Colorado (ran between Mound House - near Virginia City to Keeler, CA near Lone Pine, CA). There you can find the rock lined turntable pit where the locomotives were turned by hand.

Belleville is alongside of NV360 and signed. It is largely represented by a large cyanide sterilized section of ground alongside the highway and some stone mill ruins. However, a walk south and around the hill will find numerous cellars and broken down stone walls.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:03 pm 

Sounds like a plan, David! We may also take a little side trip out to Silverdyke. I just found that trail a few weeks ago in a newer trail guide. It sounds like the road is closed by a landslide but you can hike in the last .3 of a mile to get to the ruins. My daughter agreed to go along with me now, and that means the 6 year old is going as well. Starting to sound like fun.

Now, I don't want to start a debate here, but would you recommend taking a firearm of some sort?

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:32 pm 

David, additionally, could you provide contact information for the Goldfield Hotel and High School? I'd like to get some shots in those buidlings looking back out at the town as well as their interiors if possible.
I placed a call today to the Goldfield Chamber and Historical Society, but all I got were recordings.

Thanks!!

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:26 pm 

DesertRat wrote:
Now, I don't want to start a debate here, but would you recommend taking a firearm of some sort?

I do. Mainly for peace of mind and protection from those really big kitty cats that don't sit in your lap and purr ... :shock:

You probably know this already, but if you venture into California, make sure you abide by California gun laws, more restrictive than Nevada's.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:33 pm 

DesertRat wrote:
David, additionally, could you provide contact information for the Goldfield Hotel and High School? I'd like to get some shots in those buidlings looking back out at the town as well as their interiors if possible.
I placed a call today to the Goldfield Chamber and Historical Society, but all I got were recordings.

About a decade ago an acquaintence got permission and the key to the motel and shot rolls of film inside (it is claimed it haunted but he never saw or experienced anything out of the ordinary). I don't recall who he contacted, but believe it someone within the chamber of commerce or historical society. Goldfield is a very small town. A stop at the Esmeralda County courthouse should net you a name to contact.

If visiting Gold Point, check out the Gold Point website at http://www.goldpointghosttown.com/ Herb Robbins is quite a character and is enthusiastic about showing off his ghost town and some of the neat mining stuff he has. His c.1905 Fairbanks-Morse gas engine is great stuff to watch in action.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:01 am 

David,
Again, I have to first say "thanks"! I am a bit nervous being this is my first big excursion like this, but it eases every time I get more information. :D

The route may have changed a bit just because of what we want to see. I'll post that up once I get it finalized. My daughter is pretty much holding me to a two night max camping rule. :lol: I did buy a 20gauge Mossberg today and will carry that along on the trip as well.

I will keep trying the historical society at Goldfield and maybe the courthouse next week to see if I can get in for an afternoon. We plan on Goldpoint, and may take you up on your nearby camping suggestions, hence the route change.

I just bought a 5 pack of TMAX 400 B&W film for the trip. :) I am sure I'll shoot plenty of digital, but some of these places just deseve B&W film.

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:19 pm 

A few photos to give you a small hint on what you can see in the general Gold Point / Gold Mountain area:

GOLD POINT

A 2008 overlook at the town of Gold Point. There are numerous historic buildings left and about a dozen or so permanent residents. This scene is looking southeasterly from maintained dirt Wiley Road, which cuts across Lida Valley from NV266 just east of the semi-ghost of Lida.

A smaller 2003 image of Gold Point, looking northerly from the end of the paved road in from NV266.

Herb Robbins and his interesting Fairbanks-Morse gas engine, the Briggs & Stratton of its day.

Herb's Fairbanks-Morse under power. It has no exhaust system - only an exposed spring-closed poppet exhaust valve - yet spinning at 450 RPM is surprisingly quiet.

STATELINE GHOST TOWN

Stateline, Nevada. Scene looking westerly across northernmost Death Valley, the Last Chance and Inyo Ranges to the snowy Sierra Nevada near Bishop, California. There are about two or three dozen easily accessible stone ruins, plus a standing wooden adopt-a-cabin in the townsite.

A nice spot to lunch or camp with a view of the town and beyond is this headframe that dominates a high point above the main townsite. However, an open near vertical shaft with a dilapidated barbed wire strand fence surrounding it - easily passed through by inquisitive kids - is likely not a good place to camp in your case since you mentioned that you will be bringing your children along.

Near the headframe is a road heading westerly that stays high for a short distance before dropping back down into the main townsite and makes for a good camping spot. This was taken in 2000 with my previous truck, a 1996 Chevrolet S-10 4WD pickup. This view looks southeasterly at the Gold Mountain region. It's in close proximity to the photo above, but far enough from the mine shaft that you might feel more comfortable about setting up camp with your children.

ORIENTAL GHOST TOWN

In the photo above, the site of Oriental is visible in the distant left edge of the photo along the eastern flank of Gold Mountain. It is marked on most maps of the Death Valley region and on topographic maps as "Old Camp."

This view is northwesterly back across Stateline to Mount Magruder and the distant White Mountains. Nevada's highest peak is at the northern end of this range, the rest of the range south is inside California and tops out at 14,242 foot high White Mountain Peak. This building - said to be a former post office, was standing until about 2006. I have numerous photos of the building previous to its collapse, but I have very slow dial-up Internet connection, this has been a time consuming affair just doing this much. There are a dozen or so other stone ruins in the immediate vicinity and down another canyon running into upper Oriental Wash in connection with Oriental.

ORIENTAL WASH

This road comes up from the northernmost portion of Death Valley and is pretty regularly maintained on the Nevada side. This view is in the lower portion of the wash, several miles inside Nevada, and looks westerly to the Sierra Nevada. The road splits in the upper portion of the wash; with branches heading north to Stateline and Gold Point, east to Oriental, to Tokop ghost town and the mountain top repeater site (with great views in all directions) and another over a saddle in Gold Mountain and over to Bonnie Clair.

TULE CANYON

Get out your history books and you'll see that Tule Canyon has been mined over a couple of centuries. In the late 1800s and early 1900s several small communities with post offices popped up in this shallow trough that runs north off the northern face of Mount Magruder and down in an arcing fashion into the northernmost tip of Death Valley. This is a scene of upper Tule Canyon looking westerly from its lip at the edge of Lida Valley west of Gold Point. The canyon begins at the northernmost tip of Death Valley at an elevation of about 4,000 feet in creosote scrub, then into a small Joshua forest then pinion pines as it heads to its 7,500 foot head. Shady forest roads head out northward to NV266. You can access the road up Tule Canyon from Death Valley, Oriental Wash or Gold Point.

This cabin is found in lower Tule Canyon at the site of Roosevelt City, a short lived 1905 attempt to populate the canyon. I've watched this cabin decay drastically since about 1995. I last visited it in the spring of 2008 when this photo was taken.

Another view of this cabin about 2000. There are other ruins in the immediate vicinity.

Topo maps, the Delorme and Benchmark Nevada atlases and Harrison's Death Valley National Park map show the Gold Mountain region and its primary roads. It's facinating, historic and scenic. Roads are dirt but generally good. You can see most or all of it in a single day, although overnight and parts of two days would be better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 am 

Wow, David! Beautiful photos. I know, I may end up taking a separate trip later. I think we are going to skip Gold Point on the way up then return on the way back down and actually camp there for the night if we can. I'll make contact with the "Sheriff" this week. :D

Again, I can't say enough thanks for all of your help and guidance. It has only led to more enthusiasm for this trip and pointed out that I will have to make the trip several more times to see it all!

nick@excopLLC.com