Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:43 pm 

The road between Gold Mountain to Bonnie Clair at the road to Randy Johnston's Hard Luck City and castle in 2003. The road leading north to the Rattlesnake Mine is a short distance down the road.

This is the road to the Rattlesnake Mine where I parked. The mine is an easy walk ahead. You might be able to proceed further, but I elected to walk as there was a vertical drop-off of several feet ahead of my truck into the sandy wash bottom, as well as large stones and jagged bedrock further upstream.

The wooden structure at the Rattlesnake Mine. This was in 2003, the only time I have been there. In addition to this building, there are stone ruins and and other intersting items.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:44 pm 

It looks like you could not have asked for better weather for your trip! Absolutely beautiful scenery. I can almost smell the desert air. :D

I hope I come home with a nice collection to share.

We'll give it a go at Rattlesnake if at all possible. Kind of depends on how the kid is holding up, but knowing here, she'll be raring to go.

What would you say about camping at the old Fletcher stage coach stop? I saw some other photos today that made that look very inviting. As long as it is safe, that may be just the ticket!

nick@excopLLC.com

http://www.facebook.com/LasVegasAmsoilDirect

Youtube Exploration channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/FJGhostTowner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:25 pm 

Desert, Email sent :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:09 am 

DesertRat wrote:
What would you say about camping at the old Fletcher stage coach stop? I saw some other photos today that made that look very inviting. As long as it is safe, that may be just the ticket!

I haven't gone by Fletcher since the early 1980s, so don't have a clue as to what's there presently. In those days there was a working and inhabited ranch at the site. There might be some camping possiblities along the Walker River north of Fletcher.

In the next bowl about a mile west of Aurora is a working gold mine, so there are visual and aural impacts there as well (though when I was last at Aurora about 2002 or so it was totally out of sight and out of hearing range, but the mine has expanded by now).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:20 pm 

I found a few pics from people camping in Fletcher and it looked cozy and safe enough. We'll play it by ear, and play it by how things look when we get there. Having the 7 Y/O, it may be good to camp at the lake with a working potty! :lol:

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:30 am 

Finally under the 30 day mark until the trip. Anyone wanting to tag along, please PM me so we can meet up for coffee and talk about the plan.

The trip is in June, not July. Must have been seriosuly distracted when I typed that out!

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:21 pm 

Hey Desert, Under 30 days? I don’t recall ever hearing an exact date. When are we talking about?
At the very least, I want to get you those GPS coordinates to you in case they might help. I might be interested in “Tagging Along” at least to Aurora. A few weeks ago I was in Hartford, CT on business and had the opportunity to visit the Mark Twain House and Museum. I told them I was planning on visiting the Aurora site. Presently, they have absolutely nothing about this part of Twain’s life and asked me to forward on any pictures and/or description of what I see. Either way, I plan on going there this summer. I would like the chance to join you if it can fit in my schedule. Maybe we can talk this weekend? You have my number :D

ETA: I saw your update earlier in the thread..... June 10. Thanks!

Last edited by RKBA on Wed May 18, 2011 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 pm 

Last week, I had a few days off so some clients from California met me in Silverpeak and we went out for a couple of days exploring. As usual, I discovered some more great wonders of Esmeralda County! This is the first time I have led a 4X4 on one of these. They brought their mostly stock Cherokee and it did great. There were a few spots and canyons I couldn’t get them into but It still was a great trip. Let me share some more pics……………

Heading up McAfee Canyon
Setting up 1st night’s camp in the White Mountains foothills above Dyer
My Camp
Sunrise
Oops! I’m in California :shock:
This is one I got to cross off my list! Red Rock Mercury Mine. This closed in the late 50s and while showing more vandalism than usual, it is still remarkably well preserved.
An OLD corral area we stumbled on as we headed up toward Boundary Peak
50(ish) Ford with friend
Getting close to Boundary Peak
2nd morning………. YES, it’s snowing! Crap!
A very COLD ride back to Silverpeak. Now I know why you guys like doors, windshields and heaters :cry:
I have more but this give you an idea………………..

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:50 pm 

Every time you post here it adds more to the "have to visit list". :lol:

Yeah, I am heading out June 10th. I may even be going alone now. The 7 y/o is spending the summer with her dad. :roll: I am off every Friday if you wanted to meet and have a coffee some evening before then.

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:23 am 

I'm having to postpone my trip for a week or two. :cry:
The airline I work for is adding 757's to our fleet and I am on the proving run team. We've accelerated the schedule to get them online and that means lots of face to face time with the FAA and lots of time handling the aircraft issues. I'll try to at least post up some notice before I head out. On the bright side (pun intended) This will move me closer to the full moon so I'll have some excellent light for night photography!

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:52 pm 

Well with my screwed up work schedule and the company going back and forth for flight dates on the new airplane, we just spur of the moment left around 5am on the 10th and headed out on our trip.

After making a quick stop in Beatty for gas and some stale biscuits from the restaurant inside the gas station, we headed for Goldfield. The first surprise in Goldfield was not from the town but when a cola delivery truck stopped in the road in front of the Hotel and the driver came over to visit. He started out with "I know you don't know me, but I know you and that FJ". It was Jesse from Sin City Wicked FJ's! It was cool to run into him way the heck out there! Now I know I have to meet more of this bunch in person.

We spent a few hours in Goldfield wandering around and shooting plenty of photos. We didn't get in to the hotel this time but thanks to a few of the locals, I now have some contacts to get me in when I get ready to shoot some more interior shots. We'll be going back there to spend the day, I am sure.

After Goldfield, we cut across the desert on Silver Peak Rd to the town of Silver Peak. Aside from the very beautiful views of the Lithium beds and the mountains, our biggest excitement on that road was the herd of deer that we almost ran over! Wonderfully beautiful creatures when they are barreling at your vehicle! We only spent about half an hour shooting some photos in Silver Peak then it was off to Blair.

Now, Blair is a place that I will revisit this fall/winter. I have some of the original photos of the town and it is mind blowing at how much is NOT there now! We drove the trail up to the top above the mill and wandered there for a while. I want to go back to that point for some night photography and possibly to camp. There are plenty of trails that I did not get to explore. The trails themselves are very easily drivable by a stock 4WD or high clearance truck. After spending another hour or so there doing my thing with the camera, we headed out for Hawthorne. (or so I thought).

This is where I need to back up a bit and say that originally this was going to be a trip for just the 7 year old grand daughter and I, then some plan changes and I was going alone, then my grand daughter was back home and then my daughter decided she wanted to go along and bring the two year old! So.... here I am with the FJ packed to the point of popping like a tick, my daughter, the 7 year old and the 2 year old headed out across the desert! At any rate, the original plan was to go from Blair and stop off in Coaldale, Candelaria, Belleville and then on to Hawthorne and camp for the evening. Well as life is what it is with three women in the truck, we had to go get food and have a "real" potty. This dictated a 60 mile round trip diversion over to Tonapah. No complaints from me, just a quick glimpse at a place I intend on making a trip of its own out of. Luckily for me, I am blessed with some great women in my life. The 7 year old has a genius IQ, and the 2 year old is looking like she's following in her footsteps so for all that could have been a pain in the ass on the trip, it was not. The really had a great time!

Back on the road from Tonopah finally we headed for the stop in Coaldale, NV. Well as luck would have it, there was what appeared to be some new "occupants" at Coaldale so we just flipped on the video camera and made a quick drive through the block to at least see the old Motel, garage and diner. After Coaldale we were back on the road and headed for Candelaria. The road to Candelaria was for the most part an easy trail. On the way out to Belleville, it got a little rough in some spots with large embedded rocks but still no big deal. Again, having seen photos of what was the town of Candelaria and seeing her now, was just astonishing. It was hard to imagine a railroad and the giant population wandering through "town" when there are so little standing structures left. We wandered around finding many of the old stone foundations and basements and even sifted through a few of the old garbage piles but left everything there where it belongs. One of the coolest finds there to me was the safe that looked like it had its door blown off many, many years ago. We decided to pass on stopping at Belleville on this trip and head on for Hawthorne.

The ride up to Hawthorne was pretty uneventful with the exception of about a 45 minute stop on 95 for road construction near Mina, NV. My original plan was going to be camping on Lucky Boy Pass or at Walker Lake, but seeing as how I was on Estrogen Overload, I elected to stay at Whiskey Flats Campground in Hawthorne. Now the fun started! It seems like the instant we got out of the FJ, the wind stated blowing. It started alright, and was about 35 mph almost al night. Originally I had a small tent that would hold the one big air mattress I had. With ALL the girls going, I made a last minute trip to Bass Pro Shop and bought one of these Coleman instant condominium tents. They must come in an excellent airfoil design because the first thing it did once unfolded was want to take flight! I brought two tie down cords so finally got creative and used one of my tow straps to secure the tent against the relentless wind! We ended up bringing the grill inside the tent because it wouldn't stay upright or lit outside! Forget the campfire! What the hell, Smores over a propane flame is better than none at all! I woke up about 1am and found the two year old looking face to face with me and then pointing up and saying "Stars, Grandpa, See 'um". So, I had to spend a half hour star gazing with the kid. We went back to sleep and were up, showered, fed and on the road by 7am.

So that is about it for the first day! I'll work on the rest of this as I can. The real trail running is just getting started!

Pics coming soon.....

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:07 pm 

My favorite from the trip. The 7 year old and her mom reading the jornal at the cabin in Stateline:

Fixer Upper at Blair:

This is the one shot that really grabbed me for a moment. Having seen some of the original photos of the town and knowing the number of people and buildings that were there, it was just mind boggling to see it all gone:

Driving across the Lithium beds on the way to Silver Peak.

And of course I had to shoot the lobby of the Goldfield Hotel:

nick@excopLLC.com