Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:22 am 

Since this story might have reached a few folks down there in Vegas, I thought I'd pass this along. Let's be careful out there!

Humboldt Sun - Winnemucca, NV wrote:
The Humboldt Sun (Winnemucca, NV)
Issue of March 8-10,2011

WYOMING MAN DIES AFTER FALLING DOWN ABANDONED MINE SHAFT
Man has family members
in Winnemucca
By Heather Singer
The Humboldt Sun

WINNEMUCCA - A 28-yearold Evanston, Wyo., man died March 4 after extensive injuries obtained in falling approximately 182 feet down a crooked abandoned mine shaft in Jersey Valley.

The accident happened just before noon on March 2 and Devin Westenskow, who has relatives in Winnemucca, was pronounced dead by the Pershing County deputy coroner at 11:55 a.m. March 4.

The mine shaft was located approximately 36 miles south of Battle Mountain, just over the Lander County line into Pershing County.

A massive search and rescue effort, which was led and coordinated by Lander County Sheriff Ron Unger, failed to reach the man, who died at the bottom of the shaft. Pershing County Sheriff Rich Machado also assisted in the rescue efforts, said Unger.

Unger said Westenskow and two friends were exploring the area just before Westenskow crawled into the mine shaft and slipped and fell.

During the three-day period, around 30 to 40 rescuers were on scene each day. Unger said no one was able to reach the victim and his body will remain permanently at the bottom of the mine, which was active until 1947.The mine shaft is to be sealed up soon by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), said Unger.

Family members from Winnemucca and Westenskow's parents, Denise and Carl Westenskow, were at the scene.

Unger said all rescue efforts were halted just before dawn on March 4 after it was determined that further rescue attempts would be too dangerous and could cost other lives. At that time all available resources had been exhausted. said Unger.

"We tried absolutely everything humanly possible to save this young man," said Unger.

Reaching the victim was too treacherous since the mine shaft was unstable, said Unger, who added that several people did descend into the mine shaft, but could not reach the injured man.

Rescuers and volunteers came from numerous agencies across the state and included Lander County Search and Rescue, the Lander County Public Works department and the Lander County Sheriff's Office, the Battle Mountain Volunteer Fire Department, Battle Mountain Ambulance Service, the Pershing County Sheriff's Office, Pershing County Search and Rescue, OSHA and the BLM.

Those on scene also included Phoenix Mine Rescue, two teams from Newmont's Carlin Underground Mine Rescue Team, the Washoe County Sheriff's Rescue Hasty Team, a helicopter from Naval Air Station Fallon (that air lifted rescuers to the scene), the Nevada Department of Minerals, a Nevada mine safety inspector and Ormat Technologies Inc., said Unger.

"It was a very stressful situation for all those involved," he said. "I thank God for all the resources that were out there to help us."

The victim was a driller for DHS Drilling Co. and members of the company were also on scene, said Unger.

Unger used the office at the Jersey Valley Power Plant as the incident command center.

Unger said the Nevada Division of Emergency Management was not on scene but coordinated NAS Fallon's helicopter service. An Access Air helicopter was on standby.

A Newmont camera was originally lowered into the shaft March 2 to find the victim, said Unger. When that camera broke and was unable to be repaired, a robotic camera was obtained from the Lander County Public Works Department, said Unger. Rescuers had to partially descend the mine shaft in order to feed the camera through the twisting passageway.

The camera reached the victim on the second day and could only capture Westenskow's chest area, which showed he was breathing, said Unger. The camera remained trained on the victim's chest area until Westenskow stopped breathing March 4.

Unger said anyone who finds an abandoned mine shaft should contact the BLM.

"I hope people out there who find these old mine shafts stay away from them," he said.

OTBITUARY
JAMES DEVIN WESTENSKOW

Died on 03 04 2011 at 11:55 AM due to blunt force trauma caused from a fall in the old Murphy (Rex) Mine. The Murphy Mine is located in Jersey Valley, Pershing County, NV. Devin was exploring mines with fellow co-workers and he slipped and fell 180 ft. to his death. Extensive efforts were made by the Lander Co. Sherrifs office, Search & Rescue Teams, Newmont Search & Rescue Teams, Washoe County Search & Rescue Teams, NAS Fallon Search & Rescue Teams.

Devin was born on May 13, 1982 in Layton, Utah, to Carl and Denise Westenskow. Devin lived and attended school in Evanston Wyo. Devin attended grade school and high school in Evanston. Devin completed his GED in Rock Springs, Wyo.

Devin worked in Oil Rigs and Drilling Rigs, throughout Wyoming, Colorado, North Dakota and Nevada.

Devin was currently employed as a driller for DHS drilling in Jersey Valley, NV. Jersey Valley is about sixty miles south of Battle Mountain, NV. His company worked with geo-thermal energy.

Devin was the proud father of Alexis Marie, Carl James (CJ), Solon Moroni, Damian Everett, and Kooper James.

Devin was a good father. Devin was an avid hunter and snowmobiler. Devin had a great love for horses.

Devin was preceded in death by his Grandfather; Don Westenskow and DJ (Chuck) Hickenbotham, uncles; David Westenskow and Craig Hickenbotham.

Devin is survived by his parents Carl and Denise Westenskow, Evanston, Wyo., sister Misty and Travis Moesser, Jack and Charlie Moesser.

Grandmothers; Charleen Hickenbotham, and Lois Westenskow of Layton, Utah, aunts Kaylene and (Jim) Carter, Sunset, Utah, Terrie and (Kevin) Hughes, W. Point, Utah, Kristie and (Don) Ruth), Denise and Alisa Westenskow, Kathryn and (Brad) Brown all of Layton, Utah. Uncles; Bret Hickenbotham, Syracuse, Utah, Alan Westenskow of Layton, Utah.

Devin had numerous cousins and two nephews.

Devin is survived by his daughter Lexi and four sons; CJ, Solon, Damian and Kooper. Devin's fiancée, Lori Revelli of Evanston, Wyo.

Devin will be greatly missed by his children, parents, sister, family, friends, co-workers and all who knew and loved him.

Memorial Mass will be held on Friday, March 11, 2011, at Noon at the Catholic Church in Evanston, Wyo.