Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:15 pm 

Hello,

I just read on pirates that Nevada has a law that says you can't swap an engine from a different manufacturer into your vehicle? I was on the fence of putting a chevy v8 into my YJ. Does anyone know the details about this?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:01 pm 

I believe that you cannot put any different engine in your vehicle unless it came in that year and make of vehicle. It will not pass smog. If you don't live in Clark county where they smog then I think it doesn't matter.
Check with DMV.

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:46 pm 

Seems silly that they are so restrictive. If a person wants to change an engine, transmission or whatever they should be able to. This is America! We have way to much regulation in our lives. No wonder it cost so much to do anything. So many hoops to jump thru just to do anything.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 pm 

I work at O'Reilly Auto Parts here in Winnemucca and the rod, custom, antique hobby is alive and well up here (the economy and unemployment rates wavered a bit in '08, but rebounded swiftly and is booming very nicely today in Elko and Humboldt Counties due to a strong mining economy). And so is the chewing gum and bailing wire vehicles. And believe me, they come in wanting parts for very disimilar makes, models and years (running train vs what it's in). It seems Clark, Carson City and Washoe mimick California laws, rual Nevada is still run what you want. But that's my observation, I don't claim to have read the law.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:33 am 

They go off of the vehicle year, so like Dave said it would have to pass smog for that model year. That's why you can take a 1980 Jeep and put in a 2010 Hemi and it will pass, but not the other way around.

And David is right, rural doesn't have to smog. Only Clark and Washoe Counties to my knowledge, though I have been told Carson was added due to the growth boom up there. I also know folks that lived in Logandale and Overton that didn't have to smog, so go figure.

I also know of many that have done what you want to do, and they get PO boxes in other areas for their DMV or pay someone to "pass" it. But I agree, as long as you are improving the fuel/smog/fuel system of a vehicle, I think it should be easier.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4