Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Delamar, NV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:07 am 

I'm planning a trip there towards spring. I would imagine some of you have been there. Any tips on directions or drive times, etc? I have found directions on Google and have found it on a few maps but not a lot of solid directions to the place.

I'm hoping to be there at either sunrise or sundown for photos.

I'm still getting the new FJ equippped for the trails so when I finish up the last of the new add ons We'll start seriously trying to set a date for that road trip.

nick@excopLLC.com

http://www.facebook.com/LasVegasAmsoilDirect

Youtube Exploration channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/FJGhostTowner

Post subject: Re: Delamar, NV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:30 am 

Been there once- post up when you go because I would like to go back and do some more exploring.
Its out past Alamo but not all the way to Caliente. I will look up the waypoints and post them if I can find them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:41 am 

I went there in the spring of 1999 as part of a week long trip all over southern and central Nevada.

Roads into Delamar were freshly bladed and easily navigable in a standard automobile. I had the ghost town to myself and it was beautiful.

Basically my route went like this (using coordinates from my topo map software):

East from Las Vegas along I-15 to the Carp/Elgin off ramp east of Glendale (don't recall the exit number) at N36,44.054,-W114,26.178.

We took this washboarded but maintained dirt road north through very lonely countryside to enter Meadow Valley Wash at N37,09.147,-W114,28.206. We toured Carp and I videotaped passing UP trains while the sky was piled high with sunset lit thunderclouds with lightning for a while, then camped overnight north of the last coordinate.

The next day I drove north to Caliente, videotaping and photographing trains. Roads were maintained dirt north of Carp to Elgin, then paved highway to Caliente. Leaving Caliente, I drove west out US93 to a dirt road at N37,37.197,-W114,47.680 and turned south. You can use this coordinate if coming north along US93.

I drove along freshly bladed dirt road south straight to Delamar comfortably. You've reached the center of Delamar at N37,27.423,-W114,46.182, and this is a good place to park and start walking around the core of the site.

Nearby attractions are the Delamar Cemetery at N37,28.408,-W114,46.849. The graves are off the road a hundred yards or so, but easily seen from the road. The ghost town of Helene (actually a suburb of Delamar in its early years but had a post office) is in a nearby scenic canyon at N37,28.716,-W114,46.377.

I have put up photos of Delamar and Helene over a decade ago at http://www.ghosttowns.com Click on Nevada, then a county map will show and click on Lincoln then the two sites. For anyone interested, I have posted a photo or two of Carp and Elgin as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:40 pm 

When you get closer to going, let me know. If possible I can give you the tour. I have to head that way anyway as there a few mines I have yet been to in the area. That and I kind of live near there :wink:

You can get there from just south of Alamo (Alamo Canyon), or there's a signed turn off on US93 about 18 miles west of Caliente. The dirt road from there is signed as well so it's pretty easy to get to that way. The way from Alamo is usually a nicer drive (road conditions and scenery, petroglyphs) but it isn't signed. Alamo is about an hour and a half or so from Vegas, 91 miles. There and Ash Springs (7 miles north of Alamo) would be your last gas stop unless you came to Caliente and doubled back. Caliente is 54 miles from Alamo. So figure about 155 miles from Vegas to Caliente depending on where you are coming from in town. There's motels in Alamo and Caliente, some established camping at Pahranagat Lake south of Alamo, or about a billion acres of BLM land if you want to rough it.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:56 pm 

I led a Club Run to Delamar a few years ago. Also went thru Alamo Canyon. Much more fun than coming from the North on US 95 IMHO.

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:10 pm 

Sounds like another run is in order - Plan it and they will come :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:06 pm 

Wow! Thanks guys! I will certainly let everyone know. LIke I said, I am still doing some mods to the FJ, and will make a few short runs closer to home, as much to test drive my wife's fun level as it is to make sure we're happy with the truck. :lol:
After that, I'll surely be ready to go.
I can hardly wait! I've been wanting to get there to photograph the remains since the first time I read about it. The mines look worthy of a visit with the camera as well.

Thanks again,
Nick

nick@excopLLC.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:07 pm 

Wizard Tom wrote:
I led a Club Run to Delamar a few years ago. Also went thru Alamo Canyon. Much more fun than coming from the North on US 95 IMHO.

Sounds like a plan!

nick@excopLLC.com