Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rancho Shocks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:07 am 

Does anyone have any input as to experience with Rancho RS5000 and RS9000 series shock absorbers? Time is approaching for a shock replacement on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD pickup.

I purchased the truck new. The truck came with Bilstein shocks as part of the TRD off road package. During the summer of 2005 the front shocks were replaced with OEM Bilstein shocks (dealership replaced them – shocks are mounted within the front coil springs). During the spring of 2006 I purchased from the dealership the rear OEM Bilstein shocks and installed them myself (solid axle, leaf springs).

I am considering the Rancho shocks for two reasons: price and convenience. I work at an O’Reilly Auto Parts store, so I get a substantial employee discount. And the nearest Toyota dealership is 127 miles away.

I am satisfied with the ride of the OEM shocks, except for one characteristic. Side to side sway over rough trails seems far too much. Otherwise the truck has a fairly soft ride. I’d like to control this problem, yet not create a harsh ride on the highway.

Suggestions for other shock brands / models are welcome. However, I don’t want / need expensive shocks that allow the nth degree of performance. My truck gets a lot of dirt time, but isn’t abused at high speeds over rough terrain. My practice is to crawl over obstacles with the rear differential locked, the manual transmission in 1st or 2nd and the transfer case in low range. Since I live in rural northern Nevada, the vast majority of driving time is over rural two lane highways, an occasional interstate jaunt, maintained and semi-maintained dirt roads and two-track byways.

Thank you for any suggestions, input.

Post subject: Re: Rancho Shocks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:34 am 

David,, I have the RS 5000's front & rear on my '95 Cherokee and I like them very much ! They ride smooth on the road and do a great job off-road as well... Phil

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:54 pm 

Thank you for your imput. I also posted this query on two other forums and so far you've had the only positive comment on Rancho shocks. Negative comments on reliability, ride and customer service. And one mentioned the "one size fits all" valving on all their shocks. Shocks for my Toyota may have the same internal specs as those for a 1980s Dodge full size truck type of thing. But if they work well for you and your truck, that's what matters. Rancho would be out of business if they didn't have a satisfied customer base. And they might work well on my Tacoma as well. Only one of the responders has a Tacoma; the rest have mostly Wranglers.

A fellow worker also has a 1990s Cherokee and just purchased a set of RS5000 the other day. He likes them a lot. But his rig is also clapped out due to the hard landings of youthful enthusiasm, as he's only 21 years old and he's had the rig since he was 16. His Cherokee was all lopsided and sagging, so anything would be an improvement and make him happy.

But until then, I still would appreciate any comments and suggestions for other shocks that worked well for anyone. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:10 pm 

Hey David,
I have had the Rancho 5000's on my late Cherokee, and they were excellent. Rode well on road, carried an extra 5-600 pounds offroad, through all sorts of nasty stuff and never a concern or complaint.

I have the 9000's on my Rubicon, and although I'm not the original owner and don't know when they were put on, didn't think as highly of them as I did of the 5000's. Seemed to wear out more quickly.

Oddly, I also have an '02 Tacoma, but my wife hasn't decided whether she want's to lift it or not, but The OEM's are in dire need of replacement!

'06 Rubi- really, really ORANGE!
'02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
WWJJD?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

I ran 5000's on the jeep right after I bought it, have no complaints. When I lifted it I put on the old 5 position 9000's, best shock I have ever used. It took me awhile to determine what setting I wanted them at and to decide adjusting them all the time was a waste of time. I found position 3 worked just fine for both on-road and off-road use. Comes time for new shocks I will get 9000's, hope to find another old set of the 5 position. If all I could run were Rancho 5000's I would not hesitate and I would be fine with the choice. Just my 2 cents worth.

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:34 am 

I would suggest adjustable ones - Rancho has it where you can adjust from inside the cab option. I ran MX6 adjustables on my ZJ and they seemed nice. Run Bilistiens 5100's on my Tundra now without sway bars and don't have any side to side movement at all. I really didn't notice a difference with or without the sway bar so I left it off so the suspension can work off-road. Have driven it to SoCal and DV without any problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:46 pm 

I have the 9000's on the Scout and like them a lot. They are now 9 way adjustable, and if you want to, you can get the air pump kit and make them adjustable from the cab. I set mine high for on road driving and drop them for off road driving, but the Scout is full leaf sprung and a rough SOB if I don't let it flex some. But they have held up well and I wheel it. IIRC they have a lifetime warranty too.

Pro Comp has an adjustable shock too, don't know anyone that has it though personally.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4