Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:17 pm 

I've lived in Las Vegas since 1974, and for a long time, our favorite place to go off-roading was an area just west of town. As far as I know, the area is now completely cut off by developers, but I would like to know at least if it had a name and if perhaps, there is some "back door" way in.

The place I'm speaking of was accessed via West Charleston. Just at the area where the road begins to curve off to the left and head toward Red Rock, there were several trails headed off to the North/Northwest. These trails covered open desert for quite a while, but eventually came to an area of isolated red rocks that were very scenic. I recall especially that someone had spray painted a large rock toward the eastern end of the rocks with the name, "Mr. D's place."

The area/trails are quite plainly marked on the "La Madre Mountain" 7.5 series USGS topo map, and you can see the red rocks easily from town. I don't know exactly when the trails were cut off by developers, but it must have been around the mid-90's. Civilization is rapidly encroaching in the area, and it looks to me that if you extended the Summerlin Parkway just a bit further it would wind up right in the area I'm describing.

Is there a name for the area/rocks? Is it on BLM or other Government owned land, or did the developers somehow get it? Is it accessible in some way? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Do I know what I am talking about?

Thanks, Andy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:38 pm 
Site Admin

The area I think you are referring to is called Little Red Rock. Unfortunately, it is off-limits.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:37 am 

I Googled "Little Red Rock" and after reading the various info I found, I am sure you're are right. Thanks for the info. It is a dreadful, awful shame that this could be on private property. It is such a beautiful place and to consider that it is now forbidden to the public, and will one day be covered with millionaire's mansions, is just about unbearable to contemplate. I wonder if BLM or any of the federal agencies that are in charge of such things have ever approached Hughes about a land exchange. Doubtful they would do it, however.

I have some slides from circa 1977 showing a few of us four-wheeling up there in my buddy's K5 Blazer. That was quite a machine. In one photo, you can see the city waaaayyyy off in the distance. I vividly recall going up there and marveling at how lucky we were to be able to drive a relatively short distance and still be in the midst of such a beautiful, remote place.

Over our many trips there, we saw Bighorns, Mountain Lions, Wildcats, and many other wonderful creatures. There were many natural sinkholes in the red rocks that held water and would attract wildlife.

Seems like so many of my favorite places to explore have been cut-off. Another great place was just off Lake Mead Drive, just as you emerged from the pass between the Frenchman and River Mountains. Off to the right there was a nice road that took you back into a remote canyon. If you took it far enough you would eventually get to a place that gave you a great view of Three Kids Mine. In the mid-80's we were exploring back there and I found a 1921 silver dollar someone had dropped years before. It was also a great place to see wildlife, especially the Bighorns. It has been blocked off since the late 80's, and it is my understanding that the area is used to dump sludge from sewage plants. What a shame.

Again, thanks so much. I wonder if anyone else has fond memories of these places?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:29 pm 

We used to hike the area when I was in high school. The next canyon north (Brownstone) had lots of Native American art and relics if you knew where to look.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4