Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storing Gas
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 pm 

After driving ten miles out of my way to spend $4.10 per gallon of gas in Fenner, California (a pit stop on I40), I decided to rig my rig for carrying a gas can. I found a neat, simple system from Smittybilt called the IRACK, and it seems like it will work very well.

My question is, how long can you store gas before it goes bad?

Post subject: Re: Storing Gas
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:48 pm 

Dawn you can put Sta-Bil in the fuel and it will keep fresh for up to a year or you can do what I do and dump the fuel into the Jeep and burn it and then refill the can when you go on the trail again.

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

I put in Sta-Bil and after 6 months I put that can in the jeep and refill the can and add Sta-Bil for another 6 months. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:42 pm 

Dawn, I have been considering the same rack from smittybuilt. If you get it I would be happy to hear your opinion of the rack.

04 Rubicon;66 F100

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:08 am 

I try to rotate mine out before every 6 months as well. Sta-bil is a good option too though if for some reason you can't use it fast enough.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:53 pm 

Thanks for the heads up on Stay-Bil! I'll definitely get some. As for the IRack, it went on very easily, and so far, its great. I haven't taken the jeep off-road with the jerry can full of gas yet, though. I'm sure that new weight will result in a different feel and/or noise. Hopefully, the whole tire rack won't snap off. :lol:

I also got one of these:

http://www.allthingsjeep.com/ort-5119.html

So, hopefully, I can just leave the jerry can on the jeep permanently, rather than taking it off to fill up the tank.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:06 pm 

Dawn that is how I fill my tank from my gas can. I haven't taken the can off yet. Those hoses work great.

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:58 am 

A buddy of mine with a modified JK Wrangler has a couple of cans attached to his spare tire bar (also aftermarket and very stout). He simply uses a siphon hose with a squeeze bulb to fill his tank from the cans. He doesn't have an issue with stored gas (runs them empty except for trips), as he gets way less mileage than my Tacoma ... :mrgreen:

I liked the idea so much that I pillaged the roof rack from a non-running Pontiac minivan and attached it to my camper shell, bought a Black Widow rack and a couple of plastic 5-gallon containors for extended trips so that I don't have to factor in a gas stop somewhere along the way - if it's even possible in many of the places I frequent up here in the northern lattitudes of Nevada.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:22 am 

I told my folks about the setup (just about every week when I chat with them, my Dad asks, "So, what did you buy for the jeep today?). Upon telling them that the jerry can hold five gallons, my Dad replied, "So, that will get you what one or two miles further along the road?" :lol:

Yeah....It was a shock when I went from a 97 Sidekick to a 2004 jeep. I just assumed the intervening years would have brought about better gas mileage. Um. No. But, if I'd wanted good mileage, I would have bought a smart car.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:03 pm 

Dawn, a couple of thoughts for you.

I have bought two of the "jiggle" pump/siphons, and have since junked them both. In my experience, when you really need them, they have a tendency for the little plastic ball in them to get stuck, and not work at all. I replaced them with these pumps out of harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/ite ... t2=find+it

Add longer hoses if you need to. They are about $6.00 each, and I keep them in separate ziplock bags marked with water and gas. If you don't keep the gas siphon in an airtight container, it will make the inside of your Jeep smell like gas after you have used it.

I do keep two cans on the carrier of my Jeep, one gas and one water. I have used the water can for camping in locations without water, like Mormon Well campground. Totally worth the expense and effort to be able to spend two or three days up there.

Opinions and "where to buy" ideas for cans and carrying systems can be found here.

http://home.comcast.net/~sday77/binky/b ... rycans.htm

But, as I said, this was from my experiences, and yours may differ according to your individual usage, mileage may vary.

Travis

Mile Marker 8K, KC's, H4 conversion, etc, etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:12 am 

Hi Travis,

Thanks a bunch for the info! The siphon I bought actually has a glass ball in it, not plastic. I tried it out once, and it worked like a charm. Hopefully, that will continue.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:27 pm 

Dawn, lets see pictures of your setup.

04 Rubicon;66 F100

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:41 pm 

Hah! Well, you don't want to see it at the moment... all joking aside, the tire carrier almost snapped off today. I'll take a picture when it's fixed. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:37 am 

Took the jeep to Wiens. They were quite impressed with the break (accused me of going Dukes of Hazard with the jeep). Since the carrier was Smittybilt, and the rack, which added the extra weight, which broke the camel's back, was Smittybilt, It's rather surprising that the two didn't play well together. Darrell called Smittybilt to see if they've had any problems like this. The answer was "Nope." So, I guess I got the one in a million Smittybilt tire carrier with a bad weld.

Darrell fixed the hell out of it. He beefed up the weld. Then, since Smittybilt carriers have a natural backward lean to them anyway, which creates stress, he cut off the upright part of the carrier about halfway up, and re-welded it so that it sat at a much straighter angle. Finally, he added a mega-bump stop between the carrier and the back of the jeep. And, of course, he finished everything so nicely, it looks better than it did when new.

All this, and Darrell only charged me for a quarter of the labor time that he put into it. He rocks.

I would post pictures, but I realized that I don't know how.