Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:42 am 

Well, I guess it had to happen . My XJ died about a month ago. I managed to limp it home, but that's all. Somehow I managed to shear off the bolts where the right side engine mount bracket attaches to the block. Of coarse the engine dropped down and is kind of resting on the bottom of the distributor ! It also punched a hole in the radiator. I talked with Darrell at Ted Weims on Oakey & LV Blvd.. He said that he just did one with the same problem ! It took him 4 hours & 16 drill bits to get the broken bolts out of the block !!! Needless to say that I'm looking at a large expense just in labor to get this fixed.. Anyone got any alternative ideas ?? Also, I'm going to need a trailer of some kind to get it to the shop... Thanks in advance for any suggestions. P

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:17 pm 

I skimmed this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/warn ... ts-594902/ and it may have the answers you need, I also recommend you check part prices on quadratec.com, I don't believe this would be a difficult repair but I'm sure it will be frustrating and time consuming, I'd try and fix it myself, I'm certain the Parts would be less than 25% of the shop labor costs, these days I think time is better spent than money, good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

sorry to say but this is a comon problem with 4.0 liter straight 6 jeeps. it's happen to kirk out on a trial and it happened to d.d. on potato road. afaik, there is no "ez" fix, the bolts are long and only threaded for a short bit at the bottom. when they break it's usually the head that comes of and you're left with a stem deep in the hole still threaded into place. i've heard of guys taking an arc welding rod and sticking it in the hole and welding it to the stem and turning the remaining bolt out, but i'm not sure i actually buy that story. drilling it out sounds like the right way to do it and if i'm right they are grade 8 bolts so burning thru drill bits sounds about par for the course. i just checked and d.d. has already snapped the head off 1 bolt so i'm living on 2 right now. probably should get that fixed. good luck phil.

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:36 pm 

Thanks guys.. That's what I thought... Not something I can do in a car port of my condo complex !! I wonder if Adams Driveline does this stuff ? I also need to get the thing steam cleaned underneith and the radiator replaced.. I have the old radiator still,, it was OK when replaced it by the 'new' one that I found in the junk yard.. I still need a trailer to get it to a shop.. Anybody have one ??? P

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:44 pm 

my cousin is a welder and we have removed broken motor bolts a bunch of times at work. he cane come too you and he has a trailer if you want I can ask him if he can come and look at it. call me at 286-4730

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:02 pm 

Mountain off road and brown dog off road offer new motor mounts that use some more holes to keep it from happening again. Be happy you didn't crack the block.

Can you get a welder in there? I'm a fan of welding nuts on to broken bolts to back them out, I hate drilling bolts out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:19 pm 

To put and end to this thred,,, today I got my Jeep back,,, REPAIRED !! On Fri., I called Ted Weins at Rickmar & Eastern and talked to Chris... I had the Jeep towed to his shop.. He gave me an estimate (way over my budget),, but I said to check it out anyway... The work had to be done !! Long story short,, I picked up my baby today,, $400 under the original estimate,, with some extra stuff done too !!!! These guys did a great job and I must recommend their work to anyone needing service done... Chris will treat you right !! Thanks to all that responded,, I really liked the forum site that you sent.. Thanks guys... P

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC