Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:15 pm 

Just picked up a 95' Wrangler for my parents cabin in the mountains of California. It has been sitting for almost a year. Drove it from CA back here to Vegas and had some issues. During the drive took the pedal to the floor in third gear to get it upto highway speed. Wasn't getting any power out of fourth or fifth. Once upto speed, on downhill slopes, in fourth or fifth it would just cut out until I downshifted into third and then it would re-engage. Step-father recently change fuel filter. Tune up is next. Looking for any advise and recommendations of reliable places to take it to, here in Vages. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:38 am 

First check the fuel filter then the air filter, could be the fuel pump, might need a tuneup. What engine is it? If it sat for along time fuel system might be clogged with varnish. Maybe old gas that went bad maybe need to flush fuel system

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:44 am 

sorry the jeep is acting up.
the 2 shops i use are ted wien's off-road on oakey and lv blvd, ask for robert to schedule a diagnostic.
adam's drive shaft in henderson (people take exception if i use hender-tuky). james is the guy to talk to there.
whatever side of the valley you live on, these are the best places to look into the problem. i would let geography be your guide.
i have used both, on my second jeep now, and have had excellent service.
hope you get on the trail soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:35 pm 

If I remember correctly, the jeep may have 02 sensors. I know my 93 Grand Voyager had one and it acted exactly as you describe when it went bad. The Voyager would stall at stop lights/signs, and had real rough acceleration. I know the Plymouth would go through the sensors every year. They're not too hard to replace as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:07 pm 

How old is the fuel?

Did a critter build a nest in the air box or exhaust?

Check your cap/ rotor for corrosion.

You might get lucky and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner might do it.

It also could be a cat.

Are you throwing any codes? I'm pretty sure on that erra jeep you can pull them by doing something with the key (it's been a couple beers since I did it last on a '94)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:21 pm 

engine codes and how to access are under offroad tips and tricks. bob posted it a while back and it is bookmarked. i used it to diagnose an oxygen sensor problem. a Haynes repair manual has a listing of the code numbers and what they stand for.i think the posting has a few links to do some research on-line.
good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50 am 

Pretty much all electronic code readers will give the location of the problem either on screen or by included software. The Haynes or Chilton manuals are a good place to start for how to fix the problem.

Of course, if your Jeep isn't throwing a code and thus lighting the CHECK ENGINE lamp, it is moot. Unless there is an intermittant trouble code that the computer stored. If the Jeep has been sitting and the battery got drained (thus you had to jump start the Wrangler to get it running), the code is gone.

An option, instead of spending $25 on a Chilton or Haynes manual, check your local library. I bet they have a copy of whatever book covers your Jeep.

Shops often charge a high price to take a reading with an OBD code reader. Your local O'Reilly's has a simple one as low as $69 (OBD II only - your Jeep might OBD I; OBD II was just being introduced by some manufacturers on certain models in '95). About what some shops charge to simply take a reading. Or go to your O'Reilly's and ask them for a suggestion to a shop for a reading. Often some of their commercial accounts will give a substantial discount if you tell them O'Reilly sent you (we used to do it ourselves for free but got our OBD units taken away some months ago because of a California lawsuit).

O2 sensors aren't cheap, pretty much all are over $100 each. There are generally two in each vehicle - one before the catylitic converter and one aft.

Start with the cheap fixes first, such as a good inspection underhood for critter nests, dirty air filters, stuck PCV valve, some sort of pluggage in the exhaust tract (small mice like tailpipes), etcetera; and a couple bottles of fuel system cleaner. Then if that doesn't work, work your way up the cost/labor ladder.