Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Big Game Tags
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:28 am 

I didn't get a deer tag. Again. Big surprise, though, since the only spot I ever put in for is the one that includes the Wee Thump forest outside Searchlight. Kinda ironic. I'm responsible for getting crossbows legalized during gun season, but since I'll be moving to California next year, I guess I'll never get to hunt with the bow in Nevada. Non-resident deer tags are too expensive for me. Luckily, California already allows crossbows.

In case anyone wonders, I'm moving to Goffs, CA in January. Yep, that's Goffs, population 15. If you think Nipton's small, you aint seen Goffs. I honestly can't wait. Ever since I moved to the city, I've wanted to get back out into the hinterlands. I grew up on a dead-end dirt road in Maine, where I could wander out the back door ino the woods and see deer and moose. I've missed it terribly. I've got my teaching schedule such that I can do mostly online courses, and just commute to Vegas once a week. Plus, Goffs is the home of the Mojave Desert Cultural and Heritage Association, and I do a lot of work with them.

Don't worry, though....I'll still come on jeep trips. I'll probably even schedule a few in that neck of the woods. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:14 pm 

I hear you about getting back to more simpler living arrangements. That's why we're trying so hard to get out of Vegas. I threaten Karen that if I ever win Megabucks, I'm buying a huge plot of land somewhere in northern Nevada where I can see anyone coming for miles.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:45 pm 

For what you can sell your average tract house for in Vegas you can buy the land and mansion to go with it up here. I sold only my small place in the Bishop area and out here I can afford to work part time (nice, for I'm in that dreaded part of land called "too old to work and too young to retire" ...) and I paid cash for my home and property. And I can see anyone coming for miles ... :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:34 am 

At one time, I could have made a nice profit on my home. Granted, I owe less than it's currently worth, but I still lost about $160,000 in value at it's highest. I just hope when the time comes, I can sell it quickly. Even if it means selling it for what I owe.

The market here is a joke right now. With all the fraud going on along with all the back room deals banks and realtors are making, it probably will be for some time.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:48 pm 

Real estate values down your way must be awful. The Vegas balloon had to burst sometime, just couldn't sustain that kind of growth. Maybe that will put the kibosh on that straw LV wanted to send up the center of the state and suck the northern part dry so it could be sprayed up in the air in more lavish fountains, water shows and swimming pools ... but that's another story.

The news yesterday told that Nevada now has the highest unemployment rate in the USA at 14%. Fortunately, Humboldt and Elko Counties remained stable all through the crash and aftermath, due to mining, so things are OK up here and unemployment rates far below that of the rest of the state.

Oh, and to get back on track, I recently saw a big buck in velvet in the Krum Hills just west of Winnemucca Mountain. My buddy said that he saw two bucks the other morning by the side of the road just outside the Winnemucca city limits, in velvet.

I took a hike into a ghost town near Unionville a couple months ago and the chukars were thick as flies on dog stink.

Hunting season might be very good this autumn. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:23 am 

Hmm, been wanting to try chuckar. They look like they fit in a dutch oven perfectly. Hopefully I can find a few down here so I don't have to drive all over Nevada. Here's to the Fall. :D

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:44 am 

Species Spring by Bare mtn. usually has them in droves. I know of a few places in Lincoln County as well.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:52 am 

Justin wrote:
Hmm, been wanting to try chuckar.

They tast like chicken ... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:40 pm 

Thought I'd revive this. I'll be up in 7 for the early deer hunt. Did anyone else draw?

12 Tacoma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:47 pm 

My uncle and I drew area 10 Early Bow Antlered this year. We have scouted the east rubies quite a bit and befriended a few locals, however, things are not looking favorable for a trip this year for either of us. :cry:

If I miss out on deer, I will try to make it up during upland and duck season. Still haven't managed to get any chuckar :lol:

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:42 pm 

GaryB wrote:
Hell Elko has a Home Depot and a Wal-Mart where they sell ammo out on the floor.

Another good place for ammo in Elko is at CAL Ranch Supply store, next to J.C. Penny near the east end of town. Very reasonable prices. I usually get most of my ammo there while the Mrs. is next door at Penny's.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:38 pm 

I didn't draw anything this year, and I put in for everything but elk since I'm frozen from those tags. I might do some cougar hunting this winter if I can.

One nice thing about being up here now is that I work with 2 separate guide service owners.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:22 pm 

Quote:
I put in for everything but elk since I'm frozen from those tags

I know what you mean. I'm locked out of bull as well until 2018 and the odds of drawing another bull puts me in the senile age before I'll get the tag. Off course that means I'll forget I have the tag so I've been putting in for cow elk instead.

In addition to the deer I have a cow tag in 72 this year.

12 Tacoma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:22 pm 

You could always put in for the Silver State tag Tim. Or the PIW tag. Or just shell out $75K for the governors tag :lol:

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4