Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Game Tags
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:13 am 

Just wondering if anyone applied? Results are out at huntnevada.com if you don't know yet.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject: Re: Big Game Tags
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:52 pm 

No. Don't have the gun nor taste for big game. I prefer the upland game - sage grouse, chukar, snowshoe hare. All my friends are into deer, antelope and elk. They usually share some with me. I'm not fond of gamey tasting meat, but my wife likes it.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:02 pm 

Elk with a little of the right treatment tastes no different than moo cow IMO. But I'm not real big on deer myself. Never had any sage chicken that I know of :|

We got area 22 early for bucks.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:01 am 

We didn't draw deer :( Have a Lion tag, put in for Elk points only this year. Looking forward to NV upland game and Deer in Texas with the in-laws.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:08 am 

Hey, I was successful for antlered mule deer this year!!! Can't wait for Oct 5th!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:32 pm 

Where at?

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:41 pm 

Missed on deer but did get elk in 7. Looking forward to it.

12 Tacoma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:26 pm 

I am in 101-108. From what I hear the deer are mainly in 101-103 for this area but I have to do more research on it. I have a friend that put in with me and he has been hunting in this section before so at least he knows a little bit. Has anyone else gone hunting in these sections? Did you have good luck/bad luck??? Any suggestions? Also, the deparment of wildlife says sections 101 & 102 are hard to get to from the west side due to private property. Does anyone know if this is true or areas to get through??? I have a while to do all the research and I'm going to go up there this summer to go check it out!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:47 pm 

We hunted area 10 for some time. I have family that lives in Elko and we have hunted areas 10, 6 and 7. Very pretty country. Lots of ghost towns and mines too, which usually were taken in while hunting :wink: 101-103 are truly the best though in area 10 IMO. lots of Vegas folk like it too, though I think 6 might be the best. Anyways:

The reports of bad access on the west side of 101-102 is true, has been for some time. A lot of the area is ranch land, and due to ignorant people doing everything from leaving gates open to shooting cattle the ranchers don't care to make it easy to get in. Granted, they are supposed to allow access, but I can see their side as well. Plus you have lots of home build up in the area as well. Then the Indian Reservation down by Lee gives you limited access. About the best you'll be able to do is hunt the Secret Pass gap area on the west side, that's the southern boundary line for the 2 areas. Not too much experience on the east side of 101 as we only tried it a couple of times, 102 east is limited since it's the backside of the Rubies and there are a few ranches to deal with as well. The north east end of Ruby Valley (101) is good from experience. There's a ranch there but you can get on the backside of it and catch the deer coming in and out of the alfalfa fields sometimes. Only issue I have heard of there is one of the ranchers has grazing rights, and likes to tell people that means only he can hunt it with his guide service or some BS.

The area we have hunted the most is the south end of 102 around the Harrison Pass area. Green Mtn. creek is a personal favorite and for many others I have heard. You can hunt both sides of the Harrison Rd. with great access. Great camping too, especially near the summit. South of the road had a few great spots near the summit where you could find the bedding down with the elk in the tall grass. Lots of water in the area. If you have a horse or ATV or don't mind walking, you can pull a nice trophy out of there if you work for it.

The west side of 103 is pretty good too. IIRC the road we hunted from was BLM road 362. Should take you up to the old Mitchell Ranch house. A fire went through there years ago, and the crested wheat and wild grass grows heavy in areas. Lots of feed and water. They don't move much during the day, have to catch them coming to feed in the early AM and later PM hours. A couple of canyons north of Mitchell (not sure of name) has some springs and nice little lush hang outs they like to bed in. 103 east is really bad as it's the Ruby Marsh NWR and the mountains are so steep there are few roads, much like the east side of the Rubies in 102. No reason to go any farther south than the Hastings Cutoff/Pony Express Trail Road IMO.

108 I can say stay away from unless your friend really, really knows the area. And maybe has one tied to a post waiting for you. Even NDOW gives it very low success marks due to the low # of deer. Great antelope hunting though. Buck Mountain is nice, but from my experience has no bucks on it. 104 I only hunted the southern end (30 Mile road) with very low success. That area is a big migration area from what the ranchers and locals have told me, so it's really hard to find them since they move so much. Not a lot of feed and water to make them stick around.

Other than that, if you're not a truck hunter, you should do well. Lots of vehicle hunters in that area for some reason. The deer will gladly sit in the brush and watch you drive by all day.

And if you haven't been there, check out the town of Lamiolle, maybe grab a bite at the steak house. Pine House or something like that. That is if you still have an appetite from seeing all the deer sitting in people yards there.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:53 pm 

timandsuzie wrote:
Missed on deer but did get elk in 7. Looking forward to it.

I got my first elk in 076 north of the newer Winecup Ranch by a place called Rock Springs. I'll have to ask my dad if he remembers the name, but he went to a ranch where the guy lets you hunt on it. It's somewhere around there between Winecup and Montello IIRC. But he has some staggering amount of land with a big elk herd that eats up all his winter feed.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:59 pm 

Wow, thanks for all the great info Gary!!! It is really helpful! It sounds like you have had a lot of experience in the area. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me, I appreciate it and it will help me out a lot.

I plan on taking the Jeep out a little ways and then hiking the rest of the time so maybe I'll have some luck. IMO it isn't hunting unless you are out hiking. Plus it is more fun!

Thanks again for the info!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:06 am 

No problem.

I forgot to add, if you are camping, there's not a lot down there for supplies. When we last camped at Harrison, we had to drive back to Spring Valley (next to Elko) to get gas. The town,...er, I mean the bar in Jiggs did have gas, but then it didn't, then did, then didn't, etc. Not sure how you can find out if they still do. It was costly though when they had it. There is/was a gas station and convenience store, and I use that term very liberally, on the east side of Harrison Pass and Ruby Valley Rd. It too was costly, but if you need it, what else can you do.

If you hunt around Wells or Elko, then you should be okay. Hell Elko has a Home Depot and a Wal-Mart where they sell ammo out on the floor.

BTW, I hiked something like 15 miles last year during the week I hunted my bull elk. Then I shot one 1/4 mile from my truck the last day. My, ahem...guide, said it was because I had to earn it first :roll:

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:34 am 

Hunted the Harrison pass area and the East rubies last year for the late bow hunt . The gas station in ruby valley is being pushed out of buisiness by the govt. First health dept said can't store beer on ice, now epa wants them to dig up tanks to look for leaks (epa friendly double walled encapsulated tanks that cost her extra). So no fuel on east side. Terry said it may have been the last season she would open the store/bar, she may keep the boarding house open. Late season harrison pass is closed by snow easily. Late bow was awesome, lots of big bucks but we only got within bow range of a few and still no shot. Spotted a trophy at 350yrds over steep open ground. But I really enjoyed watching the start of the rut. 8 days in a tent camp Lows were below zero and snowed on us, loved it. If you are Rifle or early bow the deer are really high and hard to get to, the lower ones are bedded down all day and graze at night with the cattle. canyon ambush in am as a few (mostly doe) migrate back from the ranches on the east side. The locals are not fond of Clark County folks or govt so make friends and don't piss em off.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:50 pm 

Justin wrote:
The locals are not fond of Clark County folks or govt so make friends and don't piss em off.

There aren't too many places Clark County folks are welcomed in Nevada. We're not even welcomed in Clark County.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:32 pm 

As mentioned before 10 will take some work if you're after a trophy buck. I've seen several spikes and forks come out of there in the early season.

Gary, I would appreciate info on 76 for future reference. My cow tag is limited to 72 so I need to stay between the lines.

Good luck all.

12 Tacoma