Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Handgun questions
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:18 pm 

I was only thinking of carrying the bbgun look a like in a holster so when I was out walking in the desert it might make someone think twice. Maybe this would cause more problems than it is worth :?:

04 Rubicon;66 F100

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 pm 

Please, all law abiding citizens, learn to operate and carry a firearm safely, nothing deters a criminal more than a citizen willing to protect his or her community, no gun law will ever stop a criminal from owning a gun, they are criminals after all, the law doesn't mean much to them, please do your part.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:00 am 

I'd stay away from trying to intimidate anyone with a BB gun. Like Dave said, you run into some weird characters out in the boonies, and if they got spooked and became restless, the site of a gun of any kind might push them over the edge. In which case, it'd be better to have the real thing.

I've run into quite a few in my time out and about, and more than once the safety was off :wink:

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:58 pm 

Always, always carry when you're out in the bush. I've been in 2 Mexican standoffs, and I will always carry.

'06 Rubi- really, really ORANGE!
'02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
WWJJD?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:01 pm 

Rattlers, badgers and lions are a threat as much as a human. A BB gun ain't going to do nothing but piss off a lion and badger and in a panic it's hard to hit a rattler with anything that shoots solid lead. That's why I prefer my shotgun. Aim ain't as critical when the adrenalain is flowing. I haven't had to pull a gun on a human yet, but I hear that the sight of twin barrels aiming at someone's head is rather intimidating ... :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:35 pm 

Dawn Nelson wrote:
Thanks for all of the info. Now let's see if I understand it. Currently, without a CCW, I can:

- open carry my loaded gun on me in the Lake Mead area (though, I know there are certain "loaded weapon banned" zones), on Mt. Charleston, in Red Rock, in the Mojave Preserve, and on BLM lands in Nevada and California

- open carry, or concealed carry my loaded gun in my car in Nevada

- not carry a loaded gun in my car, open or concealed, in California

- not carry a loaded gun, open or concealed, in my car or on me, in North Las Vegas, or Boulder City

Is that right?

One more question. Looking around for rules on the net, I thought I discovered that the California regulation for guns in cars is even more strict. I read that, not only must a gun be unloaded while in a car, and away from the ammunition, but the gun must be in a locked container, which can't be the glove box. True?

Well, you have a better than average take on it. Let me hit a note or two:

#1. Ignorance of the law is no valid defense. This note is not aimed at you, just a general reference.

Note to Brad: almost everything you mentioned is thought as illegal in CA, even off road and in the "wilderness" (depends really on who you are and how well your attorney speaks). In the good ole days, Rangers and whatnot were more inclined to overlook some "details" and give a speech when sending someone on their way. These days, however, some of your more gung ho types are in the green trucks and not willing to let a "mistake" slide. Some of them would love to get you with "loaded" and "concealed" weapon, which is at least two separate misdemeanors.

2. You cannot open carry loaded handguns in federal parks. However, you can carry CCW with a permit AS LONG AS the permit is recognized in the State wherein you are carrying (this was recently allowed in 2/2010; be on the lookout for possible future changes).

3. You cannot carry a LOADED handgun in CA unless you have a CA CCW (good luck, CA residents!). Yes, a handgun must be in a locked container separated from the ammo (ammo must be out of magazine or it is still considered loaded). If you plan on going through the Mojave reserve (which is great during cooler weather), then you should take your shotgun but keep it empty (no rounds whatsoever!). The trail is viewed as a road, which means you are transporting it via federal and State guidelines:

http://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/hunting.htm

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

Remember, no pistol mags may be capable of containing more than 10 rounds in CA (another reason to leave the handgun home). CA does have firearm laws which treat a campsite as your home, but that should only be tested with a loaded long arm rather than a handgun since Kali is really super duper anti-handgun. As far as that goes, I'd still leave one out of the chamber at the campsite until the bear attacks the dogs or the tent :evil:

Side note: if you modified your shotgun, then please look at the CA gun laws again, especially the part about pistol grips, just to make sure it is legal there.

4. NV CCW is easy (for non-felons).

5. I've had the chance to speak with CCW instructors at American Shooters, Gun Store, and a couple of independents. I would not trust any of them 100%. However, I'd rate the Gun Store instructors over Shooters, in terms of legal information provided. Independents are a wild card. Be careful about instructors who have a very broad interpretation of laws. There are some wannabe LE and lawyers among the ranks and even some of those who have taught for several years can't read the law correctly. Now, keep in mind that five lawyers will read one law five different ways, so that's how that goes!!

6. As someone else mentioned, although you can carry an "open" loaded handgun in most places in NV, it is not advisable in populated areas (the strip, downtown Reno) because some people get skittish around others who are armed and they may call 911. In those cases, the dispatcher will probably say something like, "Man or woman seen with gun at ----------." Da popo don't like to roll up on those calls without having pistolas drawn and asking a bunch of questions following their command to get on the ground, which is hot during summer. As an fyi, disturbing the peace is a very broad law and a misdemeanor by the way.

7. Don't take a knife to a gun fight. Or, perhaps, a BB gun to any fight.

8. If you're in a Mexican stand-off, be the first one to shoot. Aim center mass. Practice often, for a good clean shot. If you're in more than one Mexican stand-off, then you need to (a) find new friends, (b) find different habits, or (c) get the hell out of Mexico.

9. While hunting legally, you may carry a loaded rifle/shotgun when harvesting game, except when on a means of transport (car, truck, atv, etc). Carry safely and follow the 10 commandments.

10. NV State law - loaded weapon is a round in the chamber (watch out for the pesky NLV/BC municipal codes); CA - if it's in the mag, then it is considered loaded.

11. Some people have a "better judged by 12 than carried by 6" code. Some of those people think it is okay to break the law because felons do not follow the law. Well, there was a CCW carrier recently arrested for carrying in a school parking lot. If convicted, he will have a criminal record and barred from carrying CCW for a weapon violation. Bottom line: own firearms responsibly and CCW legally.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:21 am 

Ugmo, Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. It's much appreciated. I must say, I liked point #8 the best.

I just hope I never come across a scene like No County For Old Men.

With the places I explore, I'm probably more likely to come across a hungry kitty than a man man, but you never know. Even if I do, and end up being cat food, or if I fall into a mine shaft (maybe one filled with water, eh Brad? Still gives me the willies :shock: ), my friends and family know that it will be ok, 'cause I was doing what I loved. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:53 am 

As far as point #8 goes, unless you have a map of every crank lab or white supremacist domicile in the area that you are exploring in, then it could happen to you. I'm a little wiser now about what to look for. Just a heads up.

'06 Rubi- really, really ORANGE!
'02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
WWJJD?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:35 pm 

Meth cookers have morphed from clandestine labs to what appears to be discarded Coleman white gas cans sitting in the sagebrush. Three BLM biologists kidnampped north of Winnemucca while doing stream studies a couple of years ago are damn lucky to be alive after coming across a pot farm owned by well connected Mexican cartel types. Random observations around these parts show a definite increase in rifles and shotguns in most pickups; ATV riders are armed with handguns and ATVs fitted with scabbards for long barrels. And that's not just during hunting season.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:51 am 

I remember running into a couple of guys smoking wacky tobacky once north of Elko, in the middle of no where, during deer season. Not very bright of them. Then again, neither was the drunk guy driving the back road to Nipton from Primm (so he wouldn't get caught) that decided to pop in on us at 3 am in the morning while coyote hunting. He didn't like having 2 spot lights shined in his face, but if he would have seen what else was pointed at him, he likely would have been even less happy.

Luckily I haven't encountered any one pot labs yet.

Although for some reason, rattle snakes have been an issue lately......

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:35 pm 

A couple weeks ago I was hiking for several miles around a ghost town near my home. Rattlers weren't much of an issue as it's been cool (sub 60*), cloudy and occasionally rainy in these parts much of this month. But large kitty cats that don't purr in your lap and badgers are a concern, so I carried my double barrel over my shoulder while walking through the ruins and sagebrush; my GPS clipped to my watchband, my video camera strung around my neck, my digital camera and digital recorder in my sweatshirt pockets.

Didn't see any of the former, but did see a lot of hawks and a nesting raven. She had a large nest in the collar of a deep vertical shaft. Just happened to catch the blinking of her eyes, I was about 10 feet away. She didn't move a bit. I got good photos and video of her. Her mate was overhead circling and calling, obviously nervous about me. I got my photos and video and went on my way.

Oh, and did I mention that I spooked up a large buck with a big rack in velvet? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:48 am 

Rattlers are seemingly very numerous this year, at least where I have been I have seen them and have heard about the recent influx from others. I was once told that a major influx of wildlife (through out the food chain) can be expected 2 years after a good winter (lots of moisture) if the following years sustain it. Last year was some what dry down here and great every where else, but the year before was decent and the whole state got plenty this past winter.

Guess we'll see.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:17 pm 

GaryB wrote:
Rattlers are seemingly very numerous this year, at least where I have been I have seen them and have heard about the recent influx from others. I was once told that a major influx of wildlife (through out the food chain) can be expected 2 years after a good winter (lots of moisture) if the following years sustain it. Last year was some what dry down here and great every where else, but the year before was decent and the whole state got plenty this past winter.

Guess we'll see.

Gary

were finding more and more rattlers in and around buildings in the desert
it is true about wet yrs helps the whole food chain.
bonus on more rattlers...less mice n rats
a nice 6ft found next to a building in the hills of Henderson

Please...don`t kill a rattler just because ...they are good for us.
let them pass...they don`t like us as much as you don`t like them.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:23 pm 

I've seen my share of rattlers and have yet to shoot one. I just give them their space. Same with all other animals. I'll only shoot if it's coming at me and I feel that I have no recourse. I don't want to shoot something unless I have intension of it being on my supper table. All animals - pests included - have their place in the ecosystem.

I've had one close encounter with a cat; it scared the bejeesus out of me, but I was also entralled with its beauty. The one close badger experience I had I thought he was cute. He wasn't making any threatening moves - I think he was a youngster and was only just curious about me - and so I managed to keep the shotgun in one hand and the other snapping photos of him popping up and down in his hole. But I also know those Freddy Kruger claws could make mincemeat out of anything he could grab on my body if he felt so inclined, so I was ready to fire if necessary.

I'm not a fan of shooting what other consider vermin. Coyotes, jackrabbits and such. Ranchers shoot them constantly. People around here shoot squirrels for target practice. Farmers consider them pests. I'd rather not shoot them and haven't. The badgers tend to come down from the hills and cull them anyway, generally in the hotter months when the squirrels stay down in their holes during the day. Squirrels are a staple in the badger diet. Squirrels tend to make only one entry and no "back door", so they're easy pickings for badgers.

The raven is kind of a hated bird. But I'd never shoot one. In fact, I'm facinated by them. No, they don't have the charm and following as eagles and hawks; but ravens are considered to be quite intellegent, they are one of the few monogamous birds (they mate for life) and when one mate dies, the surviving mate will show grief like emotions. When I worked over in Trona, California at the borax plants, it was amazing to see their playfulness as they'd rise in the thermals from the discharge of the three coal fired power plants there, to heights in which you could barely see them with the naked eye; then dive bomb down to the stacks and start all over again.

If I have to kill an animal in self defense, at least I know it still will not go to waste, as they'll be consumed by the carrion eaters.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:31 am 

The only snakes I kill are the ones too slow to get off the asphalt quick enough and if I can't swerve out of the way safely. Now if I ever get a plot of land and can't get rid of any, then that might be another story. But experience tells me they'll move on if'n I move in.

I'd likely only down a rattler if I felt I was in jeopardy and saw no other way out. On the Lincoln County Trails Day run I scared one up, a small 3 footer. He sat coiled about 5 feet from me as others took pics, then Cameron (the BLM guy with us) started poking him to get him to rattle for every one. I never felt in danger, and you could tell he didn't want anything to do with us. Call it experience or cockiness, but I find most of them will leave you alone if you give them the chance to leave.

Except for 1 mojave green I ran into one time. He was a pissy little bugger.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4