Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Handgun questions
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:21 am 

So, I finally decided to join the ranks of the armed, and purchase a handgun. I bought a Ruger LCR. I do a lot of wheeling and hiking alone, in the middle of nowhere, and have always brought pepper spray with me in the past, but I've always known that its efficacy can be dubious. The idea of purchasing a handgun was in the back of my mind, but a couple of things finally tipped the balance. First, I've been seeing A LOT of mountain lion tracks lately in the areas I usually explore. Second, a friend of mine (Kraig Knapp - some of you met him on the last Lucy Grey trip) met some unsavory folks in the Nelson's Landing area recently. They were probably planning to rob him, but quickly left when they saw he was armed. Apparently, Nelson's Landing is known to be a dangerous place - lots of tourists, no entrance fee, not much policing. Who knew?

Anyway, I finally decided to add a handgun to the safety kit I bring when exploring. Just like all my other gear, such as a splint and my Spot emergency locator, I don't expect to ever have to use it, but you never know. I'm also planning to get a concealed carry permit.

Now I need to make very sure I know all of the rules and regulations for carrying. I've been reading stuff online, but the regulations aren't as straightforward to find as I expected. I was hoping you folks could help educate me. I do all of my exploring in Nevada and California, on BLM land, the Lake Mead Recreation Area, Red Rock, Valley of Fire, and especially the Mojave Preserve. What are the rules for open carry and concealed carry for these places? Is my blue card for Nevada accepted in California? Will my Nevada concealed carry permit be accepted in California? What are the rules for open and concealed carry in a car?

It seems I am getting my own little arsenal. I now have a handgun, a shotgun, and a crossbow. Is my neck getting redder? :D

Post subject: Re: Handgun questions
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:28 pm 

Nevada's pretty easy. You can carry a loaded handgun in the car. It can be concealed in the car, but not on your person without a CCW. California is another matter. You cannot carry a loaded handgun in the car, and usually, the ammo has to be separated from the gun. That means, if the gun is in the front seat, the ammo has to be either in a trunk, or in the back of the vehicle farthest from you. Same goes with the National Parks and Recreation Areas. California will recognize the blue card as showing the gun is registered in Nevada, but will NOT recognize the CCW. Those are the laws as far as I know. However, I would not drive around the back roads without a loaded gun, either in Nevada or California. Federally protected areas are a different matter. If I'm right, you are allowed to open carry around California, as well as Nevada.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:24 pm 

Dawn...

I believe Rogue Leader is correct about the laws, but I would need to double check. Clark County is the only county that issues "blue cards". California doesn't accept any state's CCW permits. If you get a CCW permit, I believe it is currently accepted by both Arizona and Utah. If you decide to get a permit, I recommend the Gun Store at 2900 E. Tropicana Ave. I've known their Chief Instructor for over 20 years. I also know Beth and some others went to American Shooters on Arville to get their permits.

The Ruger is a good choice for what you need. I believe it will handle plus P ammunition. Loaded with the right ammo, it should do very well. If I can help in any way, let me know.

John 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:09 pm 

Well Dawn here are a few things they didn't tell you. Even though the law changed in 2007 North Las Vegas and Boulder City still have and enforce the Deadly Weapon Law, what is this? In those cities you cannot carry a loaded weapon in your car or briefcase or open carry. You must have a CCW to carry on your person. Open carry means the weapon must be seen from three sides at all times. Also Utah does not recognize Nevada CCW, For Utah you have to have a Utah CCW , You have to have the Utah CCW class about $50 and it cost $65 for the permit plus you have to mail them Passport quality pictures and a fingerprint card, these cost about $25. For Nevada CCW you have to have the CCW Class which cost about $80-$100, you must qualify on a gun range with every automatic gun for Nevada. You only need to qualify with one revolver to cover any revolver on your CCW. Then you have to be fingerprinted by Metro, The fingerprinting and permit for Nevada cost $125. After all that it takes from 2-4 months to get the permits.
Total cost about $500 about 8hrs in a CCW class about a hour at the range and 2-4 months of waiting.
For more info Google CCW and then click on the state you want a CCW for
A blue card does not allow you to carry a firearm it is only a Clark county registration card for the gun.
Hope this answers some of your questions :o

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

Last edited by Trukdj on Fri May 21, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:30 am 

Dawn: I got my CCW permit and instruction from John Soro He's a little more expensive than the Gun Store,but instructs on a one on one basis. He was referred by the guys at Bass Pro. It was a breeze to pass. Less expensive if you have 2 or more people. Reach John at 281 1571
I forgot, he even comes to your home

Frank Caliva

Last edited by Rubicon Bob on Fri May 21, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:26 am 

Dawn here is the name of my instructor for the CCW
Elite Firearm Training
(702) 210-5474
Dennis West
http://www.elitefirearmtraining.com
He does Nevada and Utah

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:02 pm 

Thanks for all of the info. Now let's see if I understand it. Currently, without a CCW, I can:

- open carry my loaded gun on me in the Lake Mead area (though, I know there are certain "loaded weapon banned" zones), on Mt. Charleston, in Red Rock, in the Mojave Preserve, and on BLM lands in Nevada and California

- open carry, or concealed carry my loaded gun in my car in Nevada

- not carry a loaded gun in my car, open or concealed, in California

- not carry a loaded gun, open or concealed, in my car or on me, in North Las Vegas, or Boulder City

Is that right?

One more question. Looking around for rules on the net, I thought I discovered that the California regulation for guns in cars is even more strict. I read that, not only must a gun be unloaded while in a car, and away from the ammunition, but the gun must be in a locked container, which can't be the glove box. True?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

When I'm on paved road in Cali I lock the unloaded gun in the glove box and put the ammunition in the center consol. I've never been stopped so I don't know if that's within the Cali law. Once I'm offroad I load the gun and keep it in the center consol. Out of the jeep hiking I then put the gun on. Back to vehicle back in the consol. If I'm deep in the backcountry I'll leave the gun on while driving rather then taking it on and off. Like I said, I've never been stopped so I don't know if I'm breaking the law or not, figure I'd find out if I do get stopped.

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:52 pm 

I forgot to mention this.
Nevada does not have an open carry law, they don't have a law prohibiting open carry. There is a differance.
Brad in Cali if the gun is in the glove box it is not legal. It must be seperate from the ammo. and not within anyones reach. (in the trunk)

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:36 pm 

In North Las Vegas, if you have a CCW and you have a firearm with you, it MUST be on your person to be legal in North Las Vegas. If you have a CCW and it is not on your person, then you are in violation of the law. If you don't have a CCW, I think it's like California...it must be unloaded, nothing chambered, and ammo seperate and not within reach. That's what I've been told by a North Las Vegas Police Officer.

And in California, you should always lock your firearm up and keep your ammunition seperate and neither within reach, just like the criminals do. :?

If you want to do some reading of law and research on state stuff, here's a good website to visit. It seems to stay up to date very well. Check it out. http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/State/

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:27 pm 

Laws might differ between the greater Las Vegas area and northern rural Nevada, I don't know for sure. I own a double barrel shotgun but am planning on obtaining a pistol, likely .38 caliber. I like to explore ghost towns, but carrying a heavy antique shotgun, digital cameras, a GPS and a video camera can get rather clumbsy.

When I go exploring with a buddy of mine, he lends me his wife's S&W snub nose .38 and a nice belt holster, which you hardly know is there. He had a close encounter with his wife last autumn, as both are avid rock collectors, when he entered a mine adit with his wife and came face to face with a lion. He had been carrying his gun all day, but this time he left it in the truck.

My understanding is that you can carry any gun in your vehicle loaded, as long as there is no round in the firing chamber. So, this makes my double barrel illegal to carry loaded (which I don't) because of its design. But a standard pump or semi-auto shotgun is legal to carry loaded as long as the firing chamber is empty.

I've seen on numerous occasions pistols in belt holsters in my neck of the sagebrush, but in plain sight. It is my knowledge that a concealed carry permit is fairly easy to obtain.

California gun laws are always changing, and changing for the stricter for the law abiding citizen; but doesn't do a dang thing to stop the criminal from always having the upper hand. The police, it seems, can't even pull their guns until the criminal's bullet is beginning to penetrate their skulls. And if they do, they get desk duty until the slow and rusty bureaucratic gears lurch and stop for weeks until they are cleared or disciplined.

The parks, such as Death Valley, have far stricter laws about carrying weapons. Which are not allowed to be used at all (although I've nearly been mowed down by some lunatic, so-called, 4WD club spraying automatic weapons in wide circles all around Chloride City ghost town about 1997 ... :evil: :shock: ). It is my understanding that any weapon be completely broken down, in a locked case and not in reach of the owner.

The NDOW (Nevada Department of Wildlife) website has a lot of general law information on guns in Nevada, not just the hunting laws. http://www.ndow.org/

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:04 am 

It's quite common to be stopped by a NDOW Ranger during any hunting season and asked to show them your weapon to see if it has a round loaded or not. Same with the BLM, though not nearly as often.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:47 pm 

ok do i need to really have a weapon when i explore? I was thinking maybe a bb gun being the bb guns now look very similiar. maybe this would be enough to warn some one i encounter when exploring.

thanks

04 Rubicon;66 F100

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:07 pm 

Kelly keep in mind of the people you might encounter out on the trail, Drug runners, illegals, loners that don't like people, thiefs, other Jeep people, Hummer drivers. (OK maybe not the last one) Miners protecting their claim. With that in mind do you really think pointing a BB gun at some one is wise. I know if you pointed any gun at me I would shoot you. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm trying to make a point. If you point a gun any gun at someone be prepaired to use it to defend yourself. A BB gun might make a welt, a 9MM will make you dead.
Hope this helps. :)

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:49 pm 

I carry a gun for two reasons: to protect myself from mean critters and to make dinner (survival) if I happen to be out in the middle of nowhere (like the Owyhee Desert) and have to walk home because the truck died and I can't fix it. I don't carry a rolling restaurant with me at all times, so it might be necessary to eat a little raven stew some time ... :lol: :shock: