Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:41 am 

I've lived a fair amount of different places and everywhere has different "rules" about what's legal and what is not.

How do you figure out if a trail/ 2 track is legal or not to run? When I was out visiting I saw lots of gates, most of them looked the same. Some of them had a please close the gate sign and some did not. I know if it has a private property or no trespassing sign to stay out. How do you figure out if it's BLM land? What's the general "rule of thumb" for exploring in Nevada?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

i would suggest getting a nevada road and recreation map by benchmark maps for starters. it will show the trails as red solid or dotted lines, thiner ones are 2 tracks. up in lander, eureka, white pine, and elko counties there is a lot of grazing so you will come across lots of gates. all most all of the ranchers graze on blm or forest service land. the general rule is leave the gate as you found it. if it was open leave it open, if it was closed then close it. if you close a gate that was open you may be cutting cattle off from a sorce of water, not a good thing. private property will be marked plainly. if in doubt ask someone before you try the trail.

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:06 pm 

Another source is to go to your friendly BLM office and purchase their maps for individual districts that cover areas you wish to explore. They plainly show the boundaries for private and public lands. The same goes for any areas you wish to explore within Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest; requires a stop in at any ranger station, which are generally in a nearby town or city.

In most cases, if an established route goes across private land (not the land owner's driveway, but a route shown on a map), it is to be left accessible to those wishing to cross the land. Sometimes a bypass might be blazed by the land owner; often it simply continues through the fenced portion of his land. It will generally have a set of gates. Sometimes there is signage, such as the right to cross may be revoked at any time (generally applied and enforced it you piss off the land owner if you do something stupid - hey, we don't do that, right? :wink: ). As stated, leave gates as you found them.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 pm 

Thanks for the info. I've made it to Eureka for a week, I'll be moving here full time mid July. I've been finding out about some of the legalities from the locals, it seems like it's pretty easy going in Eureka county.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

it's pretty easy going in most of rural nevada. :D enjoy a meal and an adult beverage at the owl club. not sure if the pony expresso is still in business on the east side of town, if they are i highly recommend their sandwichs. 8)

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:03 am 

The local fast food place isn't too shabby either. IIRC it's DJ's?

I had a shot at transferring to Eureka last year. The wife said no thanks, even though she would have likely made twice the salary there than here. It's too rural for her :roll: I think I would have been happy myself.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:54 am 

Yeah, Eureka is a nice little town. I enjoyed my week there and will be back mid July in time to make it for the Ely run. It's super friendly. I ate at DJ's and the Eureka Cafe (chineese food), both good food and super friendly people. I'll try the rest of the placed when I get moved there. I'm excited to hit the trails, I had the rental car on a dirt road that looped around Eureka to the south. If anyone is in the area and needs help or wants to explore let me know.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:41 pm 

Always liked Eureka. I like Austin, too. However, Austin seems a bit rough around the edges compared to Eureka; which I've always found to be neat and clean. Never have done any exploring around Eureka, but have done so around Austin quite a bit over the decades. In the future I want to spend a few days in the Hamilton, Eberhardt, Treasure City region east of there.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Some of our members in White Pine county know that area very well, David, including alot of historical info. If you head that way give a heads up and I'll put you in touch with Phil or Geno. I know Phil has several old book and maps of that area and they have started exploring the westside of Mt. Hamilton recently.

NVBROFC

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:38 am 

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

David,
If you are free at the end of July, come on down to our Club Run in Ely. You can meet a good part of the Club and wheel some of the great trails that White Pine County has to offer.

Rubicon Bob
Club President
Rescue Ranger
NBMC / NBCC
03 Rubi/2017 Grand Cherokee
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:53 pm 

Thank you, but previous commitments have taken up all my vacation durnig that time, as my granddaughter is getting married in northern California. My work schedule is very hit and miss and I never know more than a week ahead what I'm working. And then the boss usually takes away what days I have off. :evil: