Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off road virginity lost!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:43 pm 

Well I got the XJ smogged and it passed with flying colors for a 200k motor! I took it with my 3 day temp pass to the dry lakebed in boulder city. I took it on some trails, over bumps, did some doughnuts and even dipped it's toes in some mud and she held together. In fact it seemed as if it ran better being pushed! The motor didn't die, the transfer case didn't explode, the transmission didn't fall out and the suspension didn't come apart! So I am a huge step closer to joining and coming out on a run. I just need to register it, buy a towstrap, CB, stereo, air compressor, hi lift jack and get the windows tinted since it does not have air. It is in too good of shape for an 87 so I am assuming it never saw dirt which is why I consider it no longer an off road virgin! :oops: :shock: :wink: :lol:
Speaking of stereo's, I haven't been in the car audio market for almost 20yrs. How are todays CD players with off road vehicles? I have over 300 CD's and I don't want skipping taking place on the trail. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Joe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:31 pm 

joelem wrote:
How are todays CD players with off road vehicles? I have over 300 CD's and I don't want skipping taking place on the trail. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Joe

Convert 'em all to mp3, get a unit that takes SD cards and you're all set for wheelin' audio that won't skip, scratch, or get lost!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:52 pm 

I toasted my Alpine CD player in a few short months of wheelin due to the dust. I went with Sirius and I have whatever I want to listen to where ever I go. I just need to get an amp for my sub...I toasted it last time I was out. Water has a funny way of messing up electronics... :lol: An iPod with all your music downloaded on it would work real nice, too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:42 am 

My local auto shop broke my Alpine while I was having some work done, so I replaced it with a new unit that takes a USB drive. Uses any USB thumb drive to play MP3 files. A standard 4 GB drive for about $20 at Frys held around 5 full albums of high quality MP3's with never a skip. It also has an input for an Ipod, though I refuse to buy one of those infernal Apple devices. The Alpine unit cost me around $100 and the install kit is available at Walmart. I used Crutchfield to get a price and option comparison, but bought the unit at Ultimate Electronics so I wouldn't have to wait for shipping. Also, I used to install stereo equipment for a living, so it wasn't hard to do. (Paying for installation is how the shops make most of their money.) If you decide to go that route, and need help with an install, message me, and I will see what I can do for you.

Travis

Mile Marker 8K, KC's, H4 conversion, etc, etc etc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:33 am 

I've killed about 5 CD player decks over the last 10 years or so. While I use mainly satellite radio for my tunes, I recommend what the others have mentioned about getting a deck that either uses the flash drives or has the option to plug in an MP3 player. That's going to be my next route once I get ready to install yet another deck into my Scout.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:40 am 

Thanks everyone! You all gave me something to think about! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:19 pm 

I have Sirius and my player has an aux. input for a ipod. I use my I phone and plug it in to the stereo. It has 700 songs in it so I never run out of music

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

DARN!!! Now I feel older then I am, I'm still running an am/fm/casette deck :shock:

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:04 pm 

brad/duuuude wrote:
DARN!!! Now I feel older then I am, I'm still running an am/fm/casette deck :shock:

I know where there's an 8 track player you could have.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:52 pm 

Heck, why not go with a "Highway Hi-Fi" from a '57 Plymouth and stick that in your Jeep? :lol: That ought to get a LOT of skip on the trails ... :shock:

I bet anyone under 45 years old hasn't a clue as to what the heck I'm talking about ... :wink:

Actually, my '02 Toyota Tacoma TRD came with a AM/FM/Cassette/CD player. My interior gets plenty of dust from trails, because I generally have the sunroof open and the windows down when I wheel. My CD player has always played just fine. It seldom skips, only on killer washboards and even then it's only an occasional blip. I bought the truck new nearly eight years ago and it's got almost 134,000 miles on it; a large percentage of that on 4WD trails.

At Kragen Auto, where I work, we carry one of those thingies that plug into your 12v receptical, takes a USB thumb drive and plays into your system via the cassette player. I was thinking about one of those myself. I have Sirius, but use it in the house and my wife's Honda CR-V; but don't have a docking station for that in the Tacoma. I've got a 1-gig thumb drive I seldom use and I have most of my 300-CD collection on my hard drive that I play while working on my computer through Windows Media Player. It be nice to have a mix of stuff instead of carrying around a CD wallet and listening to the same CD until I get tired of it and quit being too lazy to change the CD ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:09 pm 

An FM modulator will turn any headphone outlet into a radio station. It transmits low power radio that can be picked up by the simplest fm radio, even Brads . Used one with an mp3 player before we got xm wired into the dash.

http://www.frys.com/product/6199339;jse ... IN_RSLT_PG

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:24 am 

I ordered a deck off ebay for around $85. Decks sure have come down in price since the late 80's early 90's. Travis! I just may take you up on your offer. I don't much trust install shops!

Joe