Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 pm 

Going on sunday to try out these trails. first are there any markings? or do i just follow the road starting at the 160?

Also are these trails easy enough that a jeep with a 2 inch lift on 33's can get thru no problem?

any info is great info!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:06 pm 

Although it's been awhile since I was at Trout, Carpenter is really easy, actually.

beautiful area. Carpenter's an out and back sorta thing.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:14 am 

does carpenter just loop back?

anyone know about trout?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:34 am 
Site Admin

like jj said carpenter canyon is an "in & out" meaning you have to come back out the way you went in. hat is unless you're able to get on forest service road 568 and take it over to wallace canyon then conect to wheeler pass road. it's a cool drive with some great country to see.
trout is a big old graded road that goes back to a large gate and private property sign. there is a numbered forest service road, 536, that breaks off to the right a few miles in and that road goes thru lost cabin canyon then wanders up to lovell summit and from there you go down to the black top in lovell canyon. lovell summit may not be do-able as it's got some elevation and has been known to get snowed closed. the clay up there can get slick as snot and fills tires making them tractionless unless you're running some serious mud tires. if you do get over lovell summit you make a right at the black top and it will take you back to 160 and a right turn there will take you back to pahrump.
wheeler on the pahrump side is a graded road to the pass but it is even higgher then lovell and is most likely closed way short of the top due to snow. it's still a great drive thru the trees until you're forced to turn around. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 am 

Yeah Ive spent some time up there. you can loop around up top of carpenter left on 45569B then L on 45569 and come down the ponderosa road all the way down and it connects back to carpenter canyon Rd 45544 near the cattle guard. the trail that leads from trout to carpenter is fence line trail.

any of you guys that did the wheelers run where we came down the trail through wallace canyon then down through ponderosa Know where the loop around part of 45569 trail meets 45568. we stopped there And I pointed it out. basically your taking that loop except your going the other way.

ARB bumper, X9, IPFxsd900, DeMello sliders, AP rear plate bumper

Last edited by tacotim on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:45 am 
Site Admin

i recommend that you get a benchmark map nevada road & recreation atlas before you go. it will show you all the roads/trails and their forest service road numbers. it will help you greatly make sence of all the numbers. on the trail you'll find the numbers at intersections on brown carsonite posts

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:56 am 

I suggest the new spring mountain NRA MVUM or Motor Vehicle Use Map avalible for free at the torry pines office of the USFS or BLM. the MVUM is up to date and give you a great up close look at all the trails up there.

I love the benchmark rec maps as well but they dont always show all the cherry stems and lesser used trails that exist on the MVUM. it is however missing a few trails I know to be still in bounds.

ARB bumper, X9, IPFxsd900, DeMello sliders, AP rear plate bumper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 pm 

looking at google earth, carpenters canyon road goes up and turns into trout canyon rd??????

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 pm 

ok looked a little closer this time! im going to take Carpenter canyon road all the way to the canyon look out. and back. see what i can figure out along the way!!