Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tool storage/security
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:01 am 

For those of you with jeeps, i'm trying to find a way to store the gear that i take with me everywhere. my plan for now is to go get a metal single compartment tool box and some short but hefty metal screws and screw it down behing the back seat. then i can put a lock on it. i was going to bolt it but i don't want to drop the gas tank and all that. since spring is coming I want to get the top off.

What do y'all do? any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:10 am 
Site Admin

i don't leave anything in the back of my jeep that i'm not willing to see disappear. that's with the softop on or the safari top during the summer. just the way it is. i unload the jeep when i get home from a run and load it up before i go on one.

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:13 am 

Wally World has some really decent size plastic boxes at some of the stores! We used to mount them in the bed of our Side X Sides.

RIP: 2004 LJ, 8"Crawler w/Coilovers,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:11 am 

I'm sure there's a zillion products out there in the aftermarket world, as the Wrangler has probably the largest groupings of companies making everything there is imaginable for it. And there's plenty of people who have designed and created their own systems.

That said, I do recall - but not in detail - a company or person who had a strongbox that replaced the center console on the TJ series Wrangler. It was of very heavy construction and of diamond plate type metal, similar to a good, heavy duty toolbox for truck beds.

I've also seen someone use what appeared to be those short truck bed tool boxes that fit between the fender well and tailgate against the bed side. If short enough, something like that bolted to a Wrangler's tub might work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:23 am 

I had a bunch of equipment stolen and I had the hardtop on. I won't take a chance like that ever again. Like Brad said, I don't keep anything in my Jeep...ever. I go on a run and I load my Jeep up. I do have a Tuffy box in the back that would go behind the seat. I keep a bunch of stuff in there, but it's locked and pretty secure. Tuffy Security carries a bunch of different size storage units built for Jeeps. Just got to find the one that would work best for you. Here's the website... Tuffy Security Products You may be paying a little more, but how much is your stuff worth to you, to keep it yours??? :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:57 pm 

But aside from wheelin stuff, i always have some tools or something with me just to be safe or if i stop to help someone. essentially im trying to construct a tool box you can buy for a jeep on my own and save 100 bucks in the process. so do you think screwing down a tool box right infront the the tail gate would work?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:25 pm 

Is there any practical room inside the tailgate for custom hidden tool storage. I recall seeing some kind of arrangement on fullside pick-ups; but I can't seem to find anything ona google search.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:18 am 

i mean sure there is the insta trunk stuff and the tuffy stuff. but a regular one compartment husky toolbox screwed down with a lock on it would probly do the trick, plus no one would even see it unless they stopped to look in the back of my jeep.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:53 pm 

Unfortunatly some people do just that; looking for stuff to swipe.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 pm 

Beerman621 wrote:
......plus no one would even see it unless they stopped to look in the back of my jeep.

Oh, and they will...you can count on that. :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:26 pm 

Charles2112 wrote:
Is there any practical room inside the tailgate for custom hidden tool storage. I recall seeing some kind of arrangement on fullside pick-ups; but I can't seem to find anything ona google search.

IIRC Tuffy makes one and a few truck companies like Westin do. But you have to make sure your tailgate is theft proof as well, or they can just pop off your tailgate and away they go. The closest thing Jeeps have to the tailgate box is the what Tuffy calls the "trunk" storage boxes.

The thing to remember is you're keeping honest people honest. Any real criminal will get what they want, but the tougher you make something to get at will help fend off the common criminal like the druggies and hoodlums looking for a quick score. That's why flat black boxes versus a nice shiny chrome diamond plate box works wonders.

Another thought, there's a guy in Beatty (on the highway, left side going north out of town) that sells used military ammo/equipment cans in every size and shape imaginable and they can be gotten at decent prices. Hard mount one to your floor and add a padlock or two and you should be good.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:08 pm 

There's always the German Shepherd Theft Deterrant System® :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:27 pm 

Even though we have a GC, our Trail Box is a large (40 MM) ammo case with the MIL-SPEC clamps and O-ring. An extra pair of Jeep "footman loops" and some ratcheting tie-down straps from Ingersoll-Chan's (aka Harbor Freight) keeps it secure from gravity and trail bumps.

Should be something reasonable from Wally World in plastic that's black and adaptable, or a common Kollege Footlocker. Coupla Grade 8's through the bottom, back or end and a padlock on the hasp might deter 75 percent of potential Miscreants.

I've never seen ANYTHING that didn't have a combination lock on the door that I couldn't open in 5-10 seconds with a Halligan "Hooligan," (Google it), so there is a point of diminishing returns.

In the final analysis, if you need to carry more stuff in your truck than you can fit in a .30 CAL or, perhaps, a .50 CAL ammo can, you may be carrying too much stuff with you on-pavement.

The only PERFECT Security is to not have anything worth stealing...