Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:01 pm 

so i think i have blown my engine! Don't ask me how but i had a friend come over and look at it. he says it doesn't sound good. so my question is does anyone have one, where can i get a good one? anyone have an engine they want to sell? i have a 97 jeep wrangler 4.0 with manual transmission. I am pretty dumb in engine knowledge but my buddy knows his stuff!
Any help would be great and to help save me an arm and a leg would be greatly appreciated!! LOL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:49 pm 

Sorry to hear about your Jeep being 419. I did a google search and found this place locally... http://702autocare.com/Engine.html?gclid=CKSM683g158CFRcdawod9WACHA It may be worth a call to see what you would be getting into. There are other places that sell 4.0 engines at various prices and accessories. I just put in a search for "Jeep 4.0 rebuilt engine" and came up with tons of stuff. I looked through a few and you can always send them a message or call with questions. Or better yet, have your buddy call since he knows what he's talking about. This way you won't have to be trying to find out any answers to questions they may have. Good luck Brandi!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:59 pm 

Call your local Kragen Auto. I don't know if they have the lowest prices in the Metro LV area, but the call is free and won't take up a lot of time to get you a price quote.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:00 am 

David A. Wright wrote:
Call your local Kragen Auto. I don't know if they have the lowest prices in the Metro LV area, but the call is free and won't take up a lot of time to get you a price quote.

You silly CSK/O'Reilly guy, you should know we call them Checker Auto down here. :wink:

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:18 pm 

To stop the confusion, they'll all just be O'Reilly soon ... :? We're slated for August for the conversion of the Winnemucca store.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:27 pm 

What do you mean by "blown"?

Is it completely seized up or does it turn over, but just won't run?

If it turns over, you can get a compression tester and put that in the spark plug hole to see if the piston is shot. I've blown a piston before and its much cheaper to replace your pistons than the whole motor.

18" Ultra Thunder Alloys
35 x 13.5 Nitto Dune Grapplers
LOD mid-width front bumper
Shrockworks rear bumper/carrier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:25 am 

JK_Chris wrote:
What do you mean by "blown"?

Is it completely seized up or does it turn over, but just won't run?

If it turns over, you can get a compression tester and put that in the spark plug hole to see if the piston is shot. I've blown a piston before and its much cheaper to replace your pistons than the whole motor.

no it runs but there is a really bad knocking coming out of it. i don't know anything about working on my toy but i do know that he pulled off the valve cover to see if anything was wrong...nothing. then i know he pulled each cable off each spark plug to see if anything changes and nothing. and i know it's not my clutch. it's something coming from underneath the engine. I just want my baby to run again!! :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:26 am 

David A. Wright wrote:
To stop the confusion, they'll all just be O'Reilly soon ... :? We're slated for August for the conversion of the Winnemucca store.

so do you have a connection to checker? i was told a new engine was $1600 plus a $300 core charge.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:07 pm 

It's usually cheaper to have your engine rebuilt than go buy a rebuilt one and put it in. The issue is it may take a week or two to get yours rebuilt, plus the time needed to pull it and put back in. A rebuilt can be done in a day or two if everything is okay and any extra parts can be gotten readily.

If there's a knocking sound coming from inside, it's probably a spun/thrown rod bearing. You're likely looking at having to have the crank at least polished and a new set of bearings and maybe a new rod for the one that spun. And if you need that major of a repair, it'd be a waste of time and money not to do a full rebuild, especially with the mileage that already exists on the motor.

Some machine shops that I have dealt with and have had good luck with are:

Universal Automotive & Engine
212 W Utah Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89102 (702) 384-5858

Fultz's Machine Shop
2100 W Bonanza Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89106 (702) 647-0311

Jack's Machine Shop
35 N Mojave Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89101 (702) 384-7700

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:10 pm 

David A. Wright wrote:

They have changed over some here already. I worked for CSK at one time. Liked my first boss, hated everything else. I don't like being told to constantly up sell every customer that walks though the door. Plus around here, 99% of the parts clerks are completely ignorant or bumbling idiots. So now I just use CSK and Autozone to dump my used oil at and get my parts at the nearest NAPA/Car Quest.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:32 pm 

Hey, Gary:

I started the rumor that your Scout is the one they used in the filming of Deliverance.

You're welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 pm 

Unclebuck&Wendy wrote:
Hey, Gary:

I started the rumor that your Scout is the one they used in the filming of Deliverance.

You're welcome.

Sounds right, it's kind of making me squeal right now with all it's glitches.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:31 am 

back on the kick of getting this in gear! I miss my toy and got to get it running.
so i found these on craig's list. i know nothing about anything so maybe you can tell me what you think? it's just another direction i am trying.
[url][/url]http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/1706634268.html[url][/url]

[url][/url]http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/1723014323.html[url][/url]

[url][/url]http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/1719495628.html[url][/url]

Code:
[url][/url]http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/1723510803.html[url][/url]
Code:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:24 am 

If you are going to replace the engine, then I highly suggest that you replace it with what you have in it. The V-8 would be nice, but you'll be spending way more money trying to get parts to make it all work...not to mention wiring harnesses. The older than your year engines I wouldn't bother with either. I know in Ohio you had to have an engine of the same year or newer. I don't know about out here in Vegas...not that you'd be selling your Jeep. And the the last ad is a 4 banger. If you have the I-6 4.0L which I know you have...I would replace it with a 1997 or newer I-6 engine, rebuild the one you have, or buy a rebuilt one and find someone to install it for beer...LOL or a fair price.

Save the headache and get a rebuilt crate engine or have your's rebuilt. Or at least have a professional take a listen to your engine to see what the problem is. It might not be as bad as you think it is. Just my 2 cents...Image

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:35 am 

agree with Joe...
placing a V-8 into your TJ will be costly...

rebuild your 4.0 ...lots of parts should be fine for the rebuild.