Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hunters
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:55 am 

Just got a shotgun and wondering if we have any bird hunters I could tag along with for the 2010-11 upland bird hunts as this year is just about over. Thinking of doing some clays this weekend. Last time I shot was in NM in 95. Also about time to get the bow out to the range.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

Post subject: Re: Hunters
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:18 pm 

Vegas Valley is doing a run to the new Clark County Shooting Park this Sunday.

I was planning on starting at the pistol range then the plan was to try out the new 20ga o/u I got for my b-day on the trap range.

We are meeting at the range at 9am. Range fee is $7.00 (plus whatever they charge per round of skeet/trap)

The range is at the very north end of Decatur.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

they charge $6 per round of 25 birds

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:53 pm 

If they only charged for birds you hit, it would only cost me a couple bucks on a good day :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:49 pm 

Ah yes,, back in the day... I had a Remington 12 ga. auto with a removeable plug (to make it 5 shot), and adjustable choke.. Also a single shot, break open 20 ga.. My sporterized Emfield 30-06 was my favorite ! I was a great shot at skeet & trap.. We hunted quail, rabbit, squirrel, ducks, geese & deer... But that was 35 years ago !! I'm still a crack shot with CJ's Rueger .22 LR Carbine.... I wish that I could afford to do that stuff again,, but not for a while... Good luck and be carefull out there... Phil

31" BFG Mud Terrains
NBOFC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:57 pm 

Justin wrote:
Just got a shotgun and wondering if we have any bird hunters I could tag along with for the 2010-11 upland bird hunts as this year is just about over. Thinking of doing some clays this weekend. Last time I shot was in NM in 95. Also about time to get the bow out to the range.

http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/hunt/hunt-index.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:51 pm 

I know some good quail and rabbit spots. If you're nice to me, I may share. :lol:

Hopefully, with the rain, the coming season will be better than this one was. I only got three quail, and no rabbits. Of course, with just a single-shot gun, the critters definitely have the upper hand. As I like it. My ailing, 17-year-old cat was so thrilled with the quail meat, I let her have all of it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:14 am 

Dawn Nelson wrote:
Hopefully, with the rain, the coming season will be better than this one was. I only got three quail, and no rabbits.

You have to go more north. My cousin has quail in his yard in Eagle Valley that look like penguins and can fly about as much. The rabbits get big enough that even the feral cats won't mess with them. Quite a few sage grouse too.

There's a lot of chukar around Beatty if you know where to look.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:17 am 

Dawn, if you need a hunting buddy, I'm definitely in. :D Have Jeep will follow. This is turning into a very wet Winter/Spring, hope it continues late into spring.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

when we got all that rain back in 2004 there were 3 hatches of quail that spring/summer thanks to all the food. i was out by ivanpah and spooked several covys that had 40 or more birds in them.

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:25 pm 

Yeah, back in 2004 the quail and the rabbits were nuts. On the road from Searchlight to Nipton there were remains of suicide bunnies every 100 feet or so.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:20 pm 

Sorry to revive a somewhat old thread, but are there any hunters in NVB who might want to show a few tips & tricks to a relative newbie? I’ve developed an interest in hunting the past year or two, mostly self-taught (plus hunter's ed) since my old man was never really into it. I get out when I can, mostly solo because I don’t know anyone else who likes to. Since journeying out to the middle of nowhere alone isn’t the smartest move, it'd be nice to have a hunting buddy. Anyway, I’d like to build up my skill sets on coyotes and birds before moving up to mule deer or pronghorn.

-Matt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:14 am 

I haven't done much, just keepeing skills up with occasional practice. When I get a rifle I may be interested.
For big game I'm using a bow and shotgun for birds. I haven't hunted birds in 15-20 years. Hunting with bow for 2 years now. For shotgun clays are a great practice. The range on north decater is awesome. I'm relearning everything myself. Most of the hunting is in the fall. Coyotes are the only non protected game available right now but you can hunt Mountain lion (hardest hunt out there) year round with a tag. Rabbits are out of season right now and as there is a season don't use them for target practice and get caught.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:08 pm 

Only cotton tails, white tailed and pygmy's are protected as game animals for rabbits. You can blast jacks (also known as a black-tailed) all day (or night) long. I have never seen a white-tail to my knowledge, but I know pygmy's are found around the central to northern half of the state. The difference between a jack and a cotton tail (what we have around here and in Lincoln and Nye counties) is pretty obvious, so much so IMO you'd have to be blind to shoot the wrong one.

BTW, cougars and coyotes can be hunted 24/7 in Clark, Nye and Lincoln counties except during big game seasons. Bobcats are a fur-bearing game animal and have a season along with the foxes. We have most all of the fur bearers here in Clark County.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:19 pm 

MattLV wrote:
Anyway, I’d like to build up my skill sets on coyotes and birds before moving up to mule deer or pronghorn.

-Matt

To be honest, if you have zero experience with hunting big game, I'd look into a reputable guide service. Many offer various packages and are willing to teach you a few tricks along the way. It costs money, but you have a better success rate and they do a lot of the grunt work for you. There were also some big game classes being offered by the NDOW in the past, but I'm not sure if they still have them. IMO the hunting part is cake. It's the field dressing and taking care of the kill part that people screw up. Get that down and the rest can be learned easily.

I'm lucky, I was born into a family of hunters. Though I admit I'm still learning the field dressing thing. It doesn't help when you only get a tag like every 5 years either.

1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4