Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:26 pm 

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I may need to purchase a home in the near future.
I moved to Las Vegas, just over 3 years ago and not familiar with the area. Any and all comments on different areas, pros and cons will be appreciated.

I started looking today and run across a place that just might work out. It has a 2 car garage, a driveway at least a car length long and access to the back yard. Before I make arrangements to check it out. Your input would be needed. The property is located east of Nellis Blvd, between Stewart and Bonanza.

Would help to know if the taxes are the same where ever you buy in Clark county?

At the present time I live in a Senior manufactured home park behind Sam's Town, I have no complaints here, but I can buy a house for what they want for these thirty year old places.

I know this is way off topic and hope I haven't broken any rules.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, best regards, Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:30 am 

Hi Charlie,
I'm not too familiar with the area you are looking into, but my personal opinion is I love Henderson! We live out near Lake Mead and Boulder Hwy on the way out to Lake Las Vegas/Lake Mead. Seems to me it's not so crowded or busy, which I like. Just wanted to throw my two cents in about Henderson! Good Luck and let me know if you need help moving!

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:05 pm 

Charile that's a rough part of town...Look for something more east up around Hollywood if you want to stay near your area. That is just my MHO.

Marla

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:36 pm 

Another vote for Henderson. I even like the older Henderson area by Water ST.

04 Rubicon;66 F100

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:46 pm 

see if you can find a foreclosed home in Henderson. Parts of Henderson are fantastic.

I also wouldn't mind having a place out north, Summerlin area. I just like that area.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:55 pm 

Charlie....you need to check the paper today.

they just listed a crap load of homes for sale, where you pay the back taxes and are able to buy a home on the cheap....I can't believe some of the prices are so low, and I don't know if they're auction homes or not. it doesn't say so, but there's like 9 pages of houses listed in the paper.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:34 pm 

Hey JJ, I've heard about those kind of deals, but never knew how they worked and I did not see them in the Review Journal or the Sun.

Talked to a Lady on Wednesday about a house and was told it was sold. She suggested another. I drove by, but it was way to nice and expensive for the neighborhood.

Called another real estate yesterday afternoon around 1 or 2 PM and that place was sold. He suggested another place. He then said "he would find an agent to show it and would call right back". I haven't heard from him since. They don't need my money, I'm sure someone down the block will take it.

Already tired of this house hunting crap, it is like shopping.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:42 pm 

Being a native I can say it's only a matter of time till a nice area goes downhill. If you're worried about crime, hit up the local news websites. Many have crime tracking links so you can see the crime issues in the area you like. I live in a mostly Hispanic area, which is no big deal to me. Seems they just beat the crap out of each other around here. Theft and murder is low which is my concern.

Of course the only places I remotely like in Clark County are not within the city limits of Las Vagrant or Hooterville.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:43 pm 

Forgot, be really, really, really careful buying foreclosed homes. You never now what surprises the old PO'd owners left you. Like concrete in the sewer lines.

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:55 pm 

Well Charlie you could try Boulder City. The crime rate is lower than anyplace in Vegas. The houses are more expensive, but the water and power is half what it is in Vegas. If old people don't bother you ( which I don't think they do ) you would like it here. Quiet and no crime. :)

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:55 pm 

Charlie wrote:
<snip>I started looking today and run across a place that just might work out. It has a 2 car garage, a driveway at least a car length long and access to the back yard. Before I make arrangements to check it out. Your input would be needed. The property is located east of Nellis Blvd, between Stewart and Bonanza.<snip>

Like a post a little farther on, I agree that it's a bit rough in that particular area, nice further east. I live just east of Mt Hood twixt Washington and Bonanza and I love it. I've lived on the east side since 1994. Except for Nellis Blvd, I think the traffic on this side of town is a lot easier to deal with than most others.

Metro has a great tool on their website for checking out crime stats across the valley, sort of a map with an incident overlay. Checking that out might give you some peace of mind (or not) when you decide where you want to buy.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:08 pm 

Be advised, I am taking this all in and thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:34 am 

Charlie, I am just one of thousands of under-employed Realtors in Southern Nevada looking for another gig who has put his License on ice, but I can give you some names of reputable people in the biz who are bright, hustle for YOU (after all, you're ultimately paying 'em) and could use the work. These are Adults, not former Phlebotomists or burger-flippers.

Nothing in it for me, just hate to see someone get screwed or ignored.

FYI #1: Unless you have done Foreclosed or Bank-Owned properties in another state or understand Real Estate law fairly well, the Foreclosed or Auctioned Home process is frought with dangers for the newcomer. Proceed with caution.

FYI #2: We live off Equestrian Drive in Hooterville (Henderson). Everybody around us has at least one pickup and/or Jeep, one SUV and one M-B or Cadillac. Except us, we be the Po' Folks on the street.

One Bank-Owned on the street (April Mist), one soon to become Bank-Owned, and one for sale across from me.

Most of my neighbors have or have had calluses on their hands at some time, so it's not like Summerlin or Seven Hills.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:41 am 

hey charlie,
i live in the north-west, past decatur and farm.
nice view of Gass Peak and the Sheep Range.
there is a road that actually starts at corn creek, goes around the base of Gass peak and ends up off decatur.
check the prices and crime stats on the web before wasting time.
i like it up here as it still has open spaces.
got into my place in '01.

i

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:56 pm 

Update, everything I wanted to see so far has been contingent or pending.
Tomorrow I will look at a short sale, possibly 2.