Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:49 pm 

Howdy...
I bring this to the attention
we need to know what type of problems exist trying to get a tire replaced.

This happened this week here in Las Vegas...

Brian was on the scenic run on Saturday at the Hump n Bump.

Quote:
Went down to 4wp today to get a warranty on a tire that was damaged over the weekend. Had a rock go through the side wall on an easy trail at the hump-n-bump. Also had the salesman take a look at two other tires which are starting to bubble on the side. (they replaced one about 3 weeks ago with the same type of problem) He said the damage was caused by hitting rocks and that their warranty didn't cover rock crawling. I told him that I am not a rock crawler and that we usually just run trails. Explained about hitting the rock on a scenic trail over the weekend. (their policy excludes competition racing)
He then stated that they didn't cover off-road damage and that the policy was only for tire damage on road like re-bar or nails. I told them the brochure I had stated that off-road damage was covered. He said it was a mis-print. (I will attach a pic of the brochure) It basically states that it includes off-road tire failure.
He then took the brochure and went to call someone (corp office I assume) and came back and stated that since I had already had 3 warranties over the last 5 years that any future coverage might not be allowed since I was costing them too much money. Keep in mind that I had to pay for a new warranty as well as labor for each of the 3 replacements. 8 warranties total.
Seems to me it's a little odd to sell warranties then decide not to honor them for actually using them. I stated that they would need to refund the warranty costs as this was becoming a legal issue. He stated that they would and it was just like an auto insurance canceling you for too many accidents.
They went ahead and replaced the damaged tire (and charged me for another warranty)

I was just really annoyed that a company would sell an off-road tire, with a warranty for off-road use then say they don't cover off-road damage.

As you can see, it sure looks to me like they should cover off-road use.

What do you guys think?

in my humble opinion the counter help should apologize and the guy
should seek work elsewhere.

this type of "POOR Customer Service " should not be tolerated.

Buyer BeWARE!
thanks
mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

one of the reasons i only do tire business with a tire store. i've never had to argue with discount tires about any tire problems i've brought them. plus i stick with brand names like bfg so you get their warrenty on top of the stores. and i know we have some 4wp people on here and nothing personal againest them but this is not the first time i've heard something like this regarding 4wp and their customer service. i do as little business as possible with them and unfortunatly now that they own 4wd.com in ohio i won't be doing much business with them from now on either. just my own opinion. 8)

NVBROFC
Re-located from my beloved Mojave to Texas. Where did all the mountains go???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:50 pm 

MAC, funny you should have this problem. I was in 4wps the other day asking about tires and comparing them to Discount Tires. The counter person made it a point to tell me that only 4wps covers there tires for offroad damage, no matter where the damage happens or how it happens they would fix or replace the damaged tire or tires no problem.
Thanks for the headsup.

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:58 pm 

Might as well toss in a couple of pennies. I've got the ProComp MTs from 4wp and as much as I like the tires I'll go elsewhere for the next set. Mainly due to the aftermarket service related to balance, rotation and flat repair.

Post subject: tires
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:53 pm 

Discount Tire is the only way to go, I have bought all my tires there for ten years, I even worked at one store on a little lay off stint (story for another time) I have never had a problem getting a tire replaced on their road hazzard warranty with no questions asked. Discount will also give you deals if you are willing to haggle a little. Good luck everybody, see you at the November club run. Robby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:10 pm 

That's good info as I'm looking to get new tires next month. I was planning on using Discount Tire to begin with and this reaffirmed my choice. Now for the great debate, which is the best tire for off road. I'm planning on getting the BFG mud's. I have the Goodyear MTR's now but have looked at some roughly used BFG's and they seem to hold up better. Any other suggestions?