Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fuel problems
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:06 pm 
lets start with my 95 4 cyl YJ. When I am driving, on occasion when I stop my rpm's will drop and when I start off again the engine acts like it is starving for gas. it begins to stutter and after I mess with the gas pedal for a few seconds it gets the power back. When this happens, if I turn it off and re-start my rpm's jump to 1500 and sometimes 2000. after a few seconds it returns to normal and I can drive without any stuttering. However it will all start over again in a few min.
anyone have any idea as to what is wrong with this, I would love to hit the trails but i would like to get this handled first. :?: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:03 pm 

I'm guessing that you have a fuel injected engine? I'm not very verse on the 4's, but if it is fuel injected, I'm guessing that there is an Idle Air Control Motor (IAC) that is mounted on the throttle body and allows the correct amount of air into the throttle body depending on certain variables, thus maintaining idle under loads, A/C use, etc. That would be my guess.

Before I would go that route, I would check to see if the fuel pump is putting out the correct pressure and maintaining that pressure as per the Jeep manual for your vehicle. If you are not getting the correct pressure to the rail, then that could be the cause, too, but it seems electric fuel pumps either work, or they don't. There is no in between. That's why I think it is the IAC. And if not that, then the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) would be my second guess.

What's anyone else think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:50 pm 

Mine was acting funny like that also (don't have the 4banger or the 6 or the YJ :lol: ) but I cleaned the IAC with brake kleen reinstalled and ran some Seafoam through it and now it idles smooth and no rpm jump. May want to locate that IAC and give it a good cleaning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:22 pm 
thanks for the advice guys...i will let you know if these ideas work. and yes it is injected