Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: They Won
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:14 am 
They say if you love something set them free, right? :cry:

Well, I knew sooner or later the price gaugeing oil companies would win. I have traded in my Rubicon for a Honda Civic that gets 40MPG. Running back and forth to Indian Springs from S. Vegas/Henderson every day was killing me.

The fact is I was spending over $400.00 per month in fuel expenses and that was nuts. :x I was running the Rubi ragged on the freeway and that's not what she was made for. And I've had no time for wheeling. My work schedule fluctuates too much. Plus, I'm going to school full-time now.

So, in the end I had to make a decision: Do I continue to suffer at the hands of Big Oil and in the process beat the Rubi up on the freeway every day; OR do I do the smart thing and trade her in?

This decision was made with a HEAVY heart. But I had to make it and I had to make it with my head and not my heart. :cry:

So, my plan is to finish school and retire from the Air Force in two years and then buy another Jeep as a present to myself for having served 20 years.

Until then, safe Jeeping to you all!

(P.S.- I'll be checking in on the message board from time to time, so you may see a post from me here and there. BTW, the Rubicon is at Desert Honda if you're interested)

JT :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:42 am 

wow, that sucks, JT!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil:
and a ricer to boot!

but hey, just think that in a couple years time maybe they'll get whatever kinks in the new JKs there are worked out and you get one of those bad boy Rubicon models.

if you ever find yourself suffering withdrawals and need to wheel, more than one of us has an extra seat to offer you.

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:04 am 

Sorry to hear about having to do what you did, JT. :( I hate seeing fellow Jeepers give up something they love for whatever reason. I know how you feel about the gas thing, even lthough I don't put on that many miles to and from work, I still burn up a lot of gas going wheelin' nearly every weekend. I'm fortunate enough to have a motorcycle that I ride to commute to and from work. It saves a lot on gas, but the chances of getting seriously injured or killed on the city streets has just gone up. We got to do what we got to do to combat that gasoline pinch. Image

I may be getting a car within the next year myself. I'll be keeping the Jeep though. It will only go out on runs or weekend excursion to go camping. My mom is going to retire in July and when she comes out to Vegas for a visit, she wants to have a car to drive and not have to rent one. It's a win/win situation for me. Image

Like JJ said, if you ever feel the need, and have the opportunity, someone will have an open seat. ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:35 am 

:cry: I feel your pain man. I'm going to get a bug this summer so we can park the Jeep :cry: . Making a trip to NM to rebuild the engine and drive it back here in July. No AC but great mileage. That and the motorcycle should help us keep the Jeep. It's gettin hard to wheel when its the daily driver.

They haven't won. You still have a plan. Don't give up. All these open seats will help you get through.

I'm not stuck, I'm providing recovery training opportunities!

Post subject: Wheeling
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:39 pm 

I am wheeling with my daily driver. Z71 Tahoe. Handles the road well, and the off roading well also. Sorry to hear that you have decided to go all hiway for now. But these hills will be here for a LONG TIME.......

Goog luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:43 pm 

JT have you thought about maybe buying an older Jeep and fixing it up.
That's what I did. You can find them for a couple grand and then take your time fixing it up, a few bucks here and a few bucks there. Over three years I have rebuild just about everything on my Jeep and now I can go wheeling with it.
Just a thought.
Sorry you had to sell you Rubi. I do know about the Gas prices, nothing I have gets over 15 mpg and I drive from Boulder City to Summerlin everyday.

06 Ram 2500 Quad Diesel
2" Front Lift 315/17 M/T's
01 Ram 2500 Quad cab LB
Diesel 6 Speed
NVBROFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:57 pm 

Oh the humanities :( JT, you've sent a pang of sadness thru all of us. Damn the big oil co's, the money grabbing bunch they are. I ditto the others. If you need some dirt and I'm going on a run you're welcome to tag along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:49 pm 
Thanks for the condolences...it helps. Yeah, I'm bummed, but I know it was the right thing to do, so that helps take some of the sting out of it. Don't worry, I'll be peeking in on the Backroaders site from time to time and if I can get the time and there's run going on I'll definitely be looking to ride shotgun with someone.

I might be down, but I'm not out. I'll be running with the big dogs again before too long!!! :twisted:

Cheers!!

JT