Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:49 am 

I got a buddy that is heading to Elko this weekend from Salt Lake and is looking for a more scenic graded dirt road route as to opposed to the I-80 route. It has to be conducive to an Expedition with a 19 foot trailer. Thanks

What's your excuse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:50 am 

I only know of one way.

That's the Pony Express Trail/Lincoln Hwy section out of Utah. From Ibapah, UT, across the Goshute Indian Range in Nevada, through Schellbourne Pass and Schellbourne, NV. Across highway 93 to Egan, up to Cherry Creek and over to Butte Valley Road. Either cut across Long Valley on the Overland/Pony Ex'Trail or go to the top of it to the CCC road, over to Ruby Lake and over Harrison Pass (which eventually is asphalt SR 228) to Spring Creek, outside of (East of) Elko. Or from Ruby Lakes, south to Overland Pass Rd. (Pony Express again and more dirt), up to Railroad Pass to Union Summit Rd and over to SR 278 which comes in from the South of Carlin, west of Elko. Or a mixture of the two.

Pages 50-53 of the Benchmark Nevada Atlas. Can't find my DeLorme Atlas to reference the pages right now.

I have been on most of these roads at some time or another. Some recently, others awhile back. All were at the time decently maintained gravel roads, as are many of the roads in that area. Many were either county or BLM roads that got grading now and then. Lots of history and ghost towns around these roads too. And good fishing.

Schellbourne has a bar, but not sure of gas. The nearest gas from there would be North to Lages Station, or South to McGill/Ely. There is (or was 2 years ago during deer season) a mini-mart and gas at Harrison Pass North of the Ruby Lake NWR. Other than that, it's all open land with little to no amenities. BLM offices in Elko would be the best bet on current road conditions.

The only other possible route would be the Immigrant/California Trail, but I believe it starts out in Idaho and only goes to Wells, NV (on I-80). There's a hundred ways to get to Elko from Utah and only cross asphalt, but with a trailer, it might be a bit too adventuresome to say the least :wink:

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:24 am 

Thanks for the response.

What's your excuse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:38 pm 

The mini-mart Gary referenced was open last year when I was hunting that area. They were in the process of replacing their tanks but probably should be done by now. They also have RV hook ups if need be.

There is also gas at Jiggs which is on the way to Elko after crossing Harrison Pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:06 am 

timandsuzie wrote:
There is also gas at Jiggs which is on the way to Elko after crossing Harrison Pass.

Where is it in correlation to the bar?

1978 IH Scout II Lifted, locked, blah,blah,blah.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Her car.
1992 Ford F350 XLT 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:21 pm 

As you're facing the bar look left, there is a single pump near the fence line. Unless things have changed it's cash only, pay at the bar.