Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:12 pm 

NVBR Trip to Moab’s
Easter Jeep Safari 2007

Trip Leader: Joe “Jeepin’ Joeâ€￾ Linert

Attendees: Allan Hanson, Andy and Sheila Klemme, and Rob Hughes

We began our journey to Moab, Utah, the off-road Mecca of the world, early in the morning. Three Jeeps were being driven and one in tow, being towed by a Jeep. There was a lot of excitement in the air. I’ve been to the Easter Jeep Safari (EJS) once before and so has Rob, but this is the first time for Al, Andy and Sheila.

The first day’s run was on the “Behind the Rocksâ€￾ trail which is rated the most difficult trail in Moab. The old rating system rates it a 4+ and the new system, if it were to be adopted, rates it at a 7 out of 10. Andy and Sheila drove their Jeep TJ through the whole trail taking every obstacle except Highdive and Upchuck. They had to do White Knuckle Hill, and did it with ease partly because of the great spotting from Adventure Bob of MOABJEEPER Magazine, and mostly due to Sheila’s driving. We all got to High Dive and Upchuck, took a look, and then Rob decided to skip High Dive. I was going to do the same, but Al said he was going down it, so he encouraged me to do the same. We both did it with no problem and it was a lot of fun. Great spotting helped that’s for sure. Upchuck wasn’t that hard either, but I have lockers and everything is easier.

When we finished the trail, we decided to take a different way out. We ended up on Hunter Canyon’s trail where we had to turn around and come back out the same way we went in. It’s where we should have turned left to get out, but thought it was a jog to the right and then to the left. We finally got on the right trail to lead us out. It was about 9 pm before we got back to town. It was a long day, but filled with fun and adventure.

Day two was a two trail day. Moab Rim in the morning and Kane Creek after lunch. We all gathered at the base of Moab Rim Monday morning. It is rated a 4+ trail and a 7 with the new rating. The ride is a short one hanging on the edge of the mountains rim as you ascend to the top. There are a few obstacles along the way. The Z-turn is the one obstacle that nearly claimed Andy and Sheila’s Jeep. Their Jeep is nearly stock sitting on a 2.5â€￾ lift and 31â€￾ tires. Andy was driving, Adventure Bob was spotting, but the ledge was just too much for their Jeep which has Open Differentials both front and rear. During Andy’s last attempt, his Jeep slide to the right across the ledge and the left front tire came way up in the air. It appeared like it was heading for a rollover, but Andy quickly pushed in the clutch and the front tire came back down. He decided not to go further, backed up his Jeep in a spot it would be out of the way and continued by hitching a ride. Sheila rode with me. Al had a little problem on the Z-turn also, but with some good spotting and a lot of skinny pedal, he soon made it up, too.

We made it to the top, enjoyed the view for a few minutes, and then turned around to head back down the same way we went up. If you think it was unnerving going up, the ride back down wasn’t any better. The whole time you are hanging close to the edge of the mountains rim. One wrong move and it would be sure death. With that in mind, we all cautiously made our way down, picking up Andy and Sheila’s Jeep along the way. Then we get a call from Al on the CB. Right in the narrow part, close to the edge, he unseats the bead on his right front tire. Talk about scary!! I think he used his Hi-Lift and got it inflated again. Then in no time, since time seemed to stand still, we were back in the parking lot and heading back to town for lunch.

At 1300 hours we met and headed to the trailhead of Kane Creek. Kane Creek is a little easier trail that rates a 4 with the old system and a 6 with the proposed system. I led the group to the trailhead and then Adventure Bob took over from there. The trail hangs to the south of the canyon cutting across the canyons wall before dropping us into the creek where there are many water crossing. It was a lot of fun trying to navigate through the many trails that other people have made. We tried to stay on the main trial the best we could. After traveling deep in the canyon we started to make our first climb out hanging on the canyons wall on the north side this time. We still haven’t had any major obstacles, but they were coming. We dropped back into the creek bed and we made our way through.

We finally came up to the narrow shelf trail that takes us out of the canyon. The first obstacle was a lot more rutted and tore up since the previous year’s run. With some spotting, most of us made it up with no problems. Andy and Sheila’s Jeep being stock compared to everyone else’s Jeep needed some extra assistance. Sheila was driving and getting spotted by Adventure Bob. As she was making her way over the rocks, another bystander was barking out spotting commands and she lost focus on Adventure Bob. Just then her rear tire slipped into a large hole and the Jeep came down hard on the passenger side rocker causing a small dent (which will disappear when they get rock sliders installed). Sheila was so upset, but came to accept it a few days later. We made it through the next obstacle with no problems and headed for the exit then back to town. It was another long day on the trail, but a great one.

The third day, Tuesday, we did Cliffhanger which is rated an easy 3.5+ trail and a 6 with the proposed new system. Al departed to go back home, Andy and Rob sat this trip out and Sheila rode with me. Rob did this trail last year and it said that it really scared him to the point he would never do this trail again. I didn’t want to go, but I was needed to help lead the trail or actually, bring up the rear. The drive up was very scenic and not that difficult. We came across a few obstacles that were fun. We made it to the top and checked out the view of the river and canyon below. It was an awesome view to say the least. After hanging out there for a while, we decided to fight the upward traffic on our way back down. There is one rock ledge that we had to go up. I watched for the line William took and I headed straight for it. He had to make a few attempts but made it up. I had Sheila line my tires up on her side on top of the rocks. I got the front up, brought the rear tires close to the ledge and went for the “Moab Bumpâ€￾ to get the rear tire up over the ledge. I did it like I was an old veteran, but then the right rear tire slipped off the top of the rock and it pushed the rear of my Jeep to the left. I got into the throttle a little more turning my steering wheel to the left a little to climb back up and then my front tire came about 3 feet in the air as my Jeep was climbing up. I turned my steering wheel to the right and brought my Jeep right on top of the trail. Will was yelling with great excitement “way to go Joeâ€￾!!! The rest of the trial was fun, but uneventful thank goodness.

The fourth day, Wednesday, I was busy with “Winches in Hellâ€￾, a winch test that the staff of MOABJEEPER Magazine was doing on Hell’s Revenge. An article can be read on the MOABJEEPER website.

The fifth day, Thursday, I took the day off of wheelin’ and decided to help Moab Man with the vendor show. Andy and Sheila helped out, too. JRations Magazine had a booth and we were working it.

The sixth day, Friday, Rob and I were heading out to do Triple Threat which consists of Poison Spider Mesa, Gold Spike, and Gold Bar Rim. When we all arrived at the trailhead, it was closed. Poison Spider was the official club run for the day, and the only way you can get to Gold Spike is via Poison Spider which was closed. Needless to say, we didn’t do that run, but decided to go run Seven Mile Rim instead. Seven Mile Rim wasn’t that hard, but there were some challenging areas for me when we had to drive off camber right before Wipeout Hill. It looked really bad, but the looks were very deceiving and I had no problem. It was a short run but fun nonetheless.

We spent most of the rest of the afternoon and evening packing our rigs for an early Saturday morning departure. We got up early and headed out saying goodbye to Moab until next year. I’m really glad that I had some great friends to spend time with doing the thing we all love to do while in Moab. I hope more go next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:10 pm 

Thanks for sharing an exciting expedition,im glad everybody made it back safe!

FZJ 80 series,UZJ 100 series,URJ 200 series

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:35 am 

Nice write up Joe.