Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:26 am 

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone in the club has a 2007 Rubicon with the BFG's on it. I have a Grand Cherokee WK and would like to see if the 255/75/17's would fit on it. I already have the Rubicon wheels and am just looking for tires for it now. I attended a run over Christmas Tree pass around October/November, and had a blast with you guys. Im really looking forward to attending regularly soon.

If anyone has a new JK with these tires, I would really appreciate a shout.

Thanks,

Kevin

2011 JKU Rubicon. Completely stock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:48 am 

Hey Kevin,

Sorry I don't have a JK but I was helping another club member with tires on his WK. He wanted to see if 265/70R17's would fit. Isn't the stock size something like 245/70R17???

Anyway, a 265/70R17 is approximately the same height as a 255/75R17 just 10mm wider. If you add 10 to the section width and subtract 5 from the aspect ratio, you approximately get the same tire diameter.

When I installed one tire on the rim and put it on the right front, the tire was very close to the end of the upper control arm where it attaches to the knuckle. I don't know if 10mm narrower than the 265 is going to give enough clearance without either new wheels with a different backspacing or something like Spydertrax wheel spacers to push the wheels away from the upper control arm.

With the tire being so close in that spot, I would worry that the tire would rub or worse yet, when the tire flexes, cut the sidewall and have a bad blowout.

I'd suggest calling a shop that installs lifts to see if you can get some info from them on what would work. It could save you some time.

Just my two cents. I hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:05 am 

Hey, thanks for the info. I'll take any advice I can get. Stock size is 245/65/17.

I was the one who gave away those 265's to another member. I never had them mounted, but I knew they wouldnt fit without trimming that bolt. I believe 265's are about 31.6 or 31.8" tall, depending on the brand. Im looking at getting BFG MT's in the 255/75 size, which are 32.05" tall. I have purchased the Rubicon wheel which has .25" less backspacing than stock WK wheels. So with the 255's being narrower plus the extra .25", Im hoping the 255's would work. I didnt think much about tire flexing though, thanks for the thought.

I guess I'll just give a call to Discount Tire for a test fit. Tirerack has this 255 size on sale right now, BFG MT's for only $119 a pop. You cant beat that!

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:08 am 

Yeah, those stupid ind. suspension bolts. Kevin told me they wouldn't fit but I just had to see for myself. Thanks for helping ,Joe.
I would have cut them but still have 50K of warranty so I decided not to.

By the way, I had to go with the stock size on new tires so I could make it back from Moab towing my YJ. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:51 pm 

Do you still have those 265's I gave you, just curious???

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:28 pm 

No sorry. I gave them to a guy at work.