Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 pm 

Jack Ross has asked me to post the June run for him. For June, Jack will be leading us through Pennsylvania Canyon, which is North of Las Vegas. We will also be passing through the old town of Elgin, Rainbow Canyon and Mt. Ella. Jack rates it not much more that a 1 on the difficulty scale, but says it's very interesting and scenic. :D

We will meet at the Kane Springs Road on highway 93, which is approximately 40 miles North of where 93 and I15 meet, and well South of Alamo. Meet at 9:00am and roll at 9:30am. Jack has informed me that this will be an all day run and strongly suggests everyone make sure they have a full tank of gas when they start. :o

If anyone has any questions, or needs further directions, please let me know. If I don't know the answer(s), I'll find out for you, or just make up something. :roll:

I hope to see you there.

John 8)

NBSC
NBOFC
NBORV

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:16 pm 

Sounds like fun. I haven't been on this road yet. I'll be there barring any work related bs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:53 pm 

we'll be there. I made a little test run to see how long it takes me to get there, even got gas at truck stop. I would probably give your selves a few extra minutes for getting gas as it can get busy.

Fox 2.0 shox's
ProComp wheels & tires
Artic Camo wrap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:05 pm 

I second Roy's comment about getting gas. I was at Love's on Thursday, and it was insanely busy. All of the gas pumps were occupied, and people were lined up waiting to use them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:23 am 

Where is everyone planning on enjoying their morning meal before the run? I always enjoy the Iron Skillet near the racetrack!
!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:33 am 

We'll be there. sounds like a great run. Does the trail end at Caliente?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:42 pm 

Mike & Rhea will be there! Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:47 am 

Dusty and Sue here. We will be able to make our first run with you! Looking forward to meeting you all. See ya there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:35 pm 

I'm getting my AC repaired for this run. lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:18 am 

I'll be there. Dawn was kind enough to offer me the use of her Jeep for the run while she's away.

I was on the prerun, and really liked this run; the scenery is great, and I had no idea there were Ponderosa pines between Vegas and Caliente - come snort them and smell the butterscotch! Besides, the forecast for the top of Ella Mountain calls for a high of 88 degrees, and there's running water to be seen, heard, and enjoyed.

On the geology side, when we first leave the pavement, we'll pass a mountain on the right made of 330 million-year-old limestone laid down in shallow offshore waters when the coastline of North America was over in Utah and Arizona. Pretty typical limestone for Southern Nevada - it's what makes up the Spring Mountains and the Sheep Range. But after that, everything else we'll see on the trip is volcanic ash that's ten to twenty times younger. When lava comes out of the ground, the hole it erupts from is called a volcanic crater. But when a volcano blows up, it leaves a much bigger hole called a caldera. We'll drive through two on this trip. The first is the 15 million-year-old Kane Springs caldera. When we leave the pavement, we'll drive up Kane Springs Wash on the way to Elgin. The fault that formed that valley split the Kane Springs caldera in half and slid the two halves sideways past each other; we'll drive between them and see first the north half on the left, then the south half on the right. After Elgin, as we climb up Pennsylvania Canyon, we'll be climbing the side of a much larger volcano topped by the Caliente caldera. This one exploded six times between 24 and 14 million years ago, creating the second-largest caldera in Nevada. We'll climb to Ella Mountain on the rim, and from the still-active fire tower there, we can look down into the caldera before we descend into it, to the town of Caliente that sits in the middle. Remember how after Mt. St. Helens blew up, lava oozed back into the caldera, forming a resurgent lava dome? There's still hot rock under the Caliente caldera, too. The heat powers the hot springs that give Caliente its name.

The gas station in Caliente makes a great chocolate shake, but they take forever to deep-fry a corn dog; I inadvertently kept folk waiting on the prerun when I ordered one :oops: , so be careful!

See you all there! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:07 pm 

Thanks for the cool info David!

"Zeek, I don't think we're in Kansas any more"
"If I only had a brain"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:25 pm 

Why Pennsylvania?

The canyon from Elgin up the side of the volcano is called Pennsylvania Canyon. There's a mine there called the Pennsylvania mine. Given the way local history seems to work, I'm guessing the canyon might have been named after the mine, rather than the other way around. But do any of the local mining and history buffs in the group know why either was named "Pennsylvania"?

For those interested in mining, here's a report about mining potential in the Clover Mountains south of the area; the report mentions quite a bit about the Pennsylvania mine. It was primarily for gold, silver, and lead, but the authors also note the presence of thorium, yttrium, zeolites, fluorspar, alunite, lead, zinc, mercury, cadmium, antimony, molybdenum, manganese, and gypsum. The authors describe the area as a "demonstrated marginal reserve", meaning that it has produced in the past, but current costs and prices make it not worth currently operating. Here's the report: https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1729d/report.pdf

For those interested in the early history of the area, here's another report that may be of interest. Although it's a geology report, it has a road log starting on page 15 that describes a three-day geology field trip. The log notes places and artifacts such as early ranches, cabins, and corrals, railroad tunnels, cliff and cave dwellings not only by the Paiute, but earlier by the Western Fremont, earlier still by the Virgin Anasazi, and even earlier by the Desert Archaic people who were here 6,500 years ago (see p. 22). I'm not sure where all these places are, and many of them are probably not directly on our route, but perhaps some of our history-buff members can tell us more about them, or plan a future trip. The report is here: http://hermes.cde.state.co.us/drupal/is ... co%3A11063

See you all Saturday!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:51 pm 

Mike has to have eye surgery tomorrow so we'll be unable to join in on this one. Sorry to miss it and hope to see you all next month.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:47 pm 

Sorry to hear that. Hope everything goes well

Fox 2.0 shox's
ProComp wheels & tires
Artic Camo wrap

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:04 am 

I hope the surgery goes well!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next