Nevada Backroaders

Nevada 4-Wheel Drive Club
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Titus Canyon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:11 am 

Many thanks to John and Chris for hosting this run, to Dawn for inviting me along, and for all the folk who ask and answer questions! Throughout the club, we've got lots of cool info on history, mining, botany, geology, and of course, Jeeps!! :-) I've posted some of my pictures at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... e5fcd751e1

Thanks again, everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:45 am 

Thanks for the run!

I took GoPro video of the whole thing, but it will be awhile before it's ready to view. My computer is so old, it really doesn't like video editing. It keeps crashing. And I keep swearing.

Time for a new computer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:41 am 

Some of you may have noticed that I was intent on getting photos of a butterfly when we stopped at Klare Spring.

Butterflies and Moths of North America (www.butterfliesandmoths.org), is a website where anyone can submit butterfly photos for identification by experts. Confirmed sightings are placed on a map. The information is interesting, and useful for ecologists.

I got a confirmation on my sighting this morning. It is the sagebrush checkerspot (Chlosyne acastus). You can see the species account at: http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/spec ... ne-acastus

And my individual record at:
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/sigh ... ls/1072240

Ken Davenport, the expert who identified it, had some cool information:

"Your record is a good one as it is in Death Valley National Park and is the LATEST record ever for acastus subspecies neumoegeni in California and I'll publish it in the 2015 Season Summary."

If you take good closeup photos, you could submit sightings too. It's fun!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2